Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Maths P2 Before/After

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭WestIRL

I let y=0 and for one and x=0 for the other.

I then got the perpendicular distance from those points to the line opposite and used simultaneous equations

Got k=1.

Not sure if its right though

Well at the start it says k > 1....

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

WestIRL wrote: »
    Well at the start it says k > 1....

Bollocks. I'm going to leave this thread before I start panicking

• Registered Users Posts: 47 hamal

I let y=0 and for one and x=0 for the other.

I then got the perpendicular distance from those points to the line opposite and used simultaneous equations

Got k=1.

Not sure if its right though

yeh i did that but the realised it couldnt be right cos that would hav meant that the line hit the x axis at (2,0) which was where the other line hit it!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

M&S* wrote: »
    I honestly don't see how half of that is justified as maths?

True true. Bloody horrific paper, going to bring me down LOADS!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

Was 1 (b) a parallellogram? I got "no".

• Advertisement

hamal wrote: »
    yeh i did that but the realised it couldnt be right cos that would hav meant that the line hit the x axis at (2,0) which was where the other line hit it!

Should have copped that. Do you reckon I will just get zero for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SazKav

Think most are feeling pretty good about that paper, thank god, I was absolutely dreading it... delighted its over, well done to everyone :) Once one is down, there is about 20 seconds of relief before the panic of the next sets in! Ughhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

FnCK I forgot to get the percentages in the distribution table! AND I GOT ALL THE DMAN FIGURES RIGHT!

How many marks would I lose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Cathalog wrote: »

I also got no :p

no it says prove that it is.. i just showed that the distance of the opp sides were equal .'. its a parallelogram

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Epsi

Thought it was ridiculous. Completely different from what I though it would be. Got an A2 ( in higher level) on paper 1 and now my result is going to be dragged down into the mud. Will Probably only get an b2 now. A large number of people who also sat the exam in the same hall found in equally difficult , past and honors alike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

For the question on the 60 degree angle. I just bisected the 60 degree angle twice to get the 15 degree one. Is that alright?

I worked it out along the side in a really complicated way. Basically I worked out mathmatically that in a right angles triangle if the angles attatched to the right angle are in the ratio of 1:5 so will the sides. So therefore the other two angles =90 so split into 1:5 you get 15 and 75 so then just draw one line 10 cm and one line 2 and you get 15 degrees.

Should have copped that. Do you reckon I will just get zero for that?

I honestly dont know, i didnt get any further than that either so hopefully we'll get some credit

no it says prove that it is.. i just showed that the distance of the opp sides were equal .'. its a parallelogram

It said determine I think.

I got the distance between 2 of the sides were equal.

But the distance between the other 2 weren't so I said no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Also did this.. Also my 3 ways to see if parallelogram were : get slopes of each side and use tan0 formula to see if opposite angles were equal/ if the transversals bisected/if opposite sides were equal..

Got the paper here in front of me: "Using one of the methods you described, determine whether the quadrilateral with vertices (-4, -2), (21, -5), (8, 7) and (-17, 10) is a parallelogram."

it could be yes or no!

Also did this.. Also my 3 ways to see if parallelogram were : get slopes of each side and use tan0 formula to see if opposite angles were equal/ if the transversals bisected/if opposite sides were equal..

I used slope, tan formula, equal pairs of sides

Distances were equal they were root 634 and root 300 and something

maybe ur right then, although i did the same and found that all opp sides wer equal somethin like root634 for 2 of them and root313 for the others i think
    ah well just hope for some nice attempt methods seeing as i had the right method

exactly what i got root313

• Advertisement

maybe ur right then, although i did the same and found that all opp sides wer equal somethin like root634 for 2 of them and root313 for the others i think
    ah well just hope for some nice attempt methods seeing as i had the right method

Damn, I did the same. And i got 4 different values... :( But one was root 6hundred and sumthin and the other was root 3hundred something.
    I'd say your correct

No i got these values aswell.. I assume the others mixed up which were sides of the parallelogram

GarIT wrote: »
    I worked it out along the side in a really complicated way. Basically I worked out mathmatically that in a right angles triangle if the angles attatched to the right angle are in the ratio of 1:5 so will the sides. So therefore the other two angles =90 so split into 1:5 you get 15 and 75 so then just draw one line 10 cm and one line 2 and you get 15 degrees.

See this is what the problem is. I'm not picking on you in particular, as I was the same before I devoted the whole weekend to Paper2. You're looking for the hardest way to get the answer. Paper2 is actually the easier of the two papers, it's just that it seems TOO EASY- so you go about over complicating things when really it's just a case of using the techniques taught in the book. For instance if you have looked over contructions you would have known how to bisect an angle of 60 twice to get 15.

Again I'm not criticising you, I was exactly the same and made a **** of my mocks Paper2 by trying to go for the complicated method. And that's not to say you made a **** of this paper I'm just taking that question as an example.

Got the paper here in front of me: "Using one of the methods you described, determine whether the quadrilateral with vertices (-4, -2), (21, -5), (8, 7) and (-17, 10) is a parallelogram."

it could be yes or no!

I plotted the vertices and got the slope of two opposite sides. They were parralel.

That circle and tangent question was hard: I tried getting the equation of the circle to no avail, tried Pythagoras on the triangle, tried slopes.. So hard id say I got some attempt marks though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

Both proved were root 634. Which proves the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

WestIRL wrote: »
    See this is what the problem is. I'm not picking on you in particular, as I was the same before I devoted the whole weekend to Paper2. You're looking for the hardest way to get the answer. Paper2 is actually the easier of the two papers, it's just that it seems TOO EASY- so you go about over complicating things when really it's just a case of using the techniques taught in the book. For instance if you have looked over contructions you would have known how to bisect an angle of 60 twice to get 15.

Again I'm not criticising you, I was exactly the same and made a **** of my mocks Paper2 by trying to go for the complicated method. And that's not to say you made a **** of this paper I'm just taking that question as an example.

I do DCG so I know all about angles. It just never dawned on me. Technically I'm right, because a/sinA=b/sinB if you let a=1 and b=5 you get sinA=15 and SinB=75, then I just did the lengths in the ratio of 1:5 and then my formula proved it.

I think I got nearly full marks on the paper so I should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 patrickkelly

Anybody get Alpha= 44Degreees and Beta=100Degrees for part (i) of question 8?

Anybody get Alpha= 44Degreees and Beta=100Degrees for part (i) of question 8?

alpha 44 and beta 76 for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Helloxoxo

GarIT wrote: »
    For the question on the 60 degree angle. I just bisected the 60 degree angle twice to get the 15 degree one. Is that alright?

Yeah I just dropped a perpendicular from the point and that gives 30degrees then I bisected that angle to get 15

Advertisement