Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What, in your opinion, is the fakest sport?

• 09-06-2012 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭

Not in terms of the competitors involved per say. but in terms of support and interest. you know what i mean, the ones where people go there really just to be seen, almost to the point where it isn't even about the sport any more.

Personally, I think horse racing. it just seems that feckall people who go to these things actually care about the races and are just there to be seen in their new dresses.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

The amount of people jumping on the football bandwagon just because we're qualified for the Euro's pisses me off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Wrestling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Soccer. People are more interested in having a good old punch-up than watching the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

show jumping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

i would agree that it's horse racing. it's just a day out to wear mad hats and lose money for 99% of the people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Min wrote: »
    Wrestling.

The people behind pro wrestling in America wouldnt class it as a sport even.

Yeah has to be horse racing. Its more about winning money and ladies day than the actual sport itself for many people.
    Also women's beach volleyball for obvious reasons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

show jumping

Feck off :mad:
    it's a lot harder than most sports. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Rollerball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

You got a chelsea tractor????:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Especially if you haven't got the use of a horse.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

For the horse maybe. The riders just sit there while the poor animal gets a good workout.

'Sport' me arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

If golf was a sport, I would say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

The Olympic. Its just a show of freaks

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭l3m0n5

Lacrosse - doesn't look like they really need safety gear

Xavi6 wrote: »
    For the horse maybe. The riders just sit there while the poor animal gets a good workout.

'Sport' me arse.

Have you ever ridden a horse? Obviously not.

When I'm showjumping you need to maintain a good contact with the horse so to keep control, need to half halt before each jump in order to set up the horse right, you need to maintain a good contact with your seat in order to drive the horse on but in a steady way. You need to be able to recover quickly after jumping large fences in order to maintain control. you need to make sure that the horse is on the right leg when cantering doing flying changes if needed. You need to keep the horse balanced and steady using your legs and seat alone.

it's very hard, hop up on my horse there and try it.

Horses are strong, unpredictable animals who require a soft but firm handling especially when trying to get him through a large course of 14 fences, never mind speed rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 borzaboy

Pal wrote: »
    If golf was a sport, I would say that.

Would have to agree with ya it has to be golf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

Irish dancing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,874 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

That walking they do in the Olympics..it's not running but it's too fast to be considered walking.....ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

American Football.

When I'm showjumping you need to maintain a good contact with the horse so to keep control, need to half halt before each jump in order to set up the horse right, you need to maintain a good contact with your seat in order to drive the horse on but in a steady way. You need to be able to recover quickly after jumping large fences in order to maintain control. you need to make sure that the horse is on the right leg when cantering doing flying changes if needed. You need to keep the horse balanced and steady using your legs and seat alone.

Horses are strong, unpredictable animals who require a soft but firm handling especially when trying to get him through a large course of 14 fences, never mind speed rounds.

is Paky that hard to control??? :p

• Advertisement

On your high horse now, Jen ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Min wrote: »
    Wrestling.

Soeone read the title, but didn;t botehr reading the OP!!!

For me, horse racing.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

is Paky that hard to control??? :p

He saw my horse there the other day and was amazed at the amount of work I had to do with her. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭bossdrum

Rugby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

Naked showjumping would be cool though.

He saw my horse there the other day and was amazed at the amount of work I had to do with her. :rolleyes:

typical politician's answer ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hands down rugby

On your high horse now, Jen ;):D

it pisses me off when people say you 'just sit there'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mosney, summer of 1993. Got the horse to trot and everything, your man with the lead said I was a natural.

Sounds like a chat up line from Coppers :pac:

• Advertisement

oxo_ wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmkSTUDc1Ek ;)

yeah making that poor horse wear a saddle is just wrong :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Cycling, sure they're all drugged up to the eyeballs!

His undercarriage must be sore;)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

There's been a few calenders done with this sort of theme!!!

You have be quite fit at the top levels so most top riders have an excellent physique!!

I would agree that golf is not a real sport.

His undercarriage must be sore;)

You don't plonk onto the horses back, you hover a little bit after jumping and quietly sit back down, I'm sure his man berries survived, he was judging his landing very carefully :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'd say Horse Racing too.
    Eathrin wrote: »
    The amount of people jumping on the football bandwagon just because we're qualified for the Euro's pisses me off!

Personally I love this, think it's great that the whole country gets behind the team and really adds to the buzz around the country in the build up to the tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Eathrin wrote: »

No way! That's the best thing about something like the Euro's / World Cup... it brings people together and makes everyone proud of their country for a change! I love the fact the likes of my mother and my girlfriend take an interest... all that useless footy info comes in handy when they ask me a million questions!!

In terms of sports I think are fake... 'fake' is not the right word for them, but I think a lot of Olympic sports are fairly 'non-events', like, pole-vaulting, long jump, walking, even the hurdles... sorry if that's your kind of thing! :o

typical politician's answer ;)

Hedging the answer like a pro :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Wimmins beach volley ball. I suspect very strongly that many men watch it for the arses.

and the boobies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Soeone read the title, but didn;t botehr reading the OP!!!

For me, horse racing.

Yeah, lots of people doing that. anyway I can edit the title title to be more clear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Yeah, lots of people doing that. anyway I can edit the title title to be more clear?

"Which sport has the fakest supporters?" perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Rugby. I've gone into long winded arguements about it's "merits" on this website before but here's a few convenient bullet points:

- the majority of fans at Heineken Cup matches or Six Nations matches are there to be seen rather than to genuinely support the team. Atmosphere is non-existent as a result.
    - Ireland's success in the Six Nations has been over-hyped to the extent where I don't even bother watching them when they're playing
    - they don't have to qualify for the World Cup yet their participation in it is bigged up to the last, despite the fact they haven't a hope of winning it
    - the game itself is boring and monotonous and requires very little skill (as compared to GAA, soccer, tennis (even golf) )

Add to the list, Darts. Basically lads on a piss up watching a pub game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Phil the Greek

Dressage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

In before the mini marathon is not a sport brigade:rolleyes::p

Dressage.

dont get me started again :P
    That **** is even harder than jumping :cool:

micropig wrote: »
    In before the mini marathon is not a sport brigade:rolleyes::p

Is it not a fun-sized snickers now:confused::confused:?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

"Which sport has the fakest supporters?" perhaps?

that's much better. any MOD want to change the thread title? Iv'e looked around, but I don't think I'm able to :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

polo

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ha ha hello

Definitely rugby.

Sports like golf, tennis, badminton etc. might have connotations of snobbiness
    or whatever but at least they're actually fun! Im sure the people who play them are genuinely interested in them. I've never witnessed somebody pretending to be interested in these sports.. specifically with golf, theyre either interested in how padraig harrington, european ryder cup team etc. performs or they're not and they'll have no problem saying it.

But with rugby, people feel like if they pretend to like it and are seen to like it, people will think they are middle class/ well-to-do, whereas in reality, few people in Ireland are brought up in a rugby-playing environment and hence don't develop a genuine interest in rugby. The number of girls that seem to be interested in going to Ireland/ leinster rugby matches for the associated status of being a rugby supporter is much higher than the number of girls who would fake interest in soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ha ha hello

And regarding horse racing op; I always assumed everyone mutually and unspokingly agreed at these big races that they in fact know nothing about the horses or the finer points of racing and are indeed just going to it for the novelty of being "at the races" and getting to dress up to look like an old-fashioned classy bastard putting on bets like a boss! The fakeness of horse-racing doesn't bother me as much as rugby because I see it as an assumption of going for nearly everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement