Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What, in your opinion, is the fakest sport?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Football. Players falling over deliberately and 'nearly' scoring goals to increase the drama. Add match-fixing and it makes the WWE look like a real sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Korfball, what the fuuck is that all about? Those mainland Europeans!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Fox hunting.

Even more so than show jumping or horse racing. As if anyone who attends or even takes part gives a shít about how many foxes they catch. All about being seen and upholding their 'rights' to hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Any women's sport:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Min wrote: »
    Wrestling.

pro wrestling might not be a real sport and even the biggest wrestling company on earth make it clear their show is "entertainment" not sport but its still one of the toughest businesses on earth to make a living in, on the road 200+ nights a year, e.g wwe are in spain tonight and on monday they have a live show in america, i was in belfast the night they were performing, they all arrived back in the hotel about 12am after a 3hr show, off to the airport at 7am for flight to new york and then performing on that show in madison square garden at 9pm later than evening

ufc joe rogan explains it best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Golf if it was a real sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

Hands down rugby

Is that the paralympic version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Most of the time the real sport for the spectators lies in the gambling!
    do they allow gambling on wrestling?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Any sportt that is going a successful perond always attracts Irish people like flies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Fussy Eater

Wrestling might have been a sport at one time but now it's moved into entertainment. Horse Racing is a good one too as to me it only exists for the purposes of gambling however it'll always be beaten by Greyhound racing - which definitely only exists for gambling. Is darts a sport? That's taking the p*ss if it is.

Even if I don't care for a particular sport I can generally appreciate its skill and physical demands. I do take exception to handball which isn't big here but is in a lot of Europe. Quite simply a sport for people who aren't good at proper sports...

Most of the time the real sport for the spectators lies in the gambling!
    do they allow gambling on wrestling?

yes paddy power has odds on pro wrestling events but its under novelty bets alongside what colour hat the queen will wear on her birthday etc http://blog.paddypower.com/2012/04/27/paddy-power-takes-wwe-betting-to-the-extreme/

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

Xavi6 wrote: »
    For the horse maybe. The riders just sit there while the poor animal gets a good workout.

'Sport' me arse.

Lol. No-one who can actually ride would spout crap like this.

If what you're saying is true, then sure rugby is just a bunch of big guys running around a field. Tennis is just people smacking a ball back and forth.
    There's SKILL in horse-riding, never mind show-jumping. Wonder how you'd do if I threw you up on my horse, and asked you to jump a few fences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Phil the Greek

dont get me started again :P
    That **** is even harder than jumping :cool:

Nah. It's just mincing on horseback :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Has to be horse racing. No one would give a rats ass about it if it wasn't for gambling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

20 stone beer swilling men playing darts and calling themselves sportsmen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Rocket19 wrote: »

If what you're saying is true, then sure rugby is just a bunch of big guys running around a field. Tennis is just people smacking a ball back and forth.
    There's SKILL in horse-riding, never mind show-jumping. Wonder how you'd do if I threw you up on my horse, and asked you to jump a few fences.

Rugby and tennis players don't have an animal doing the hard athletic parts for them.

We can all tell something to run faster or jump higher, there's nothing sporty about it.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Rugby and tennis players don't have an animal doing the hard athletic parts for them.

We can all tell something to run faster or jump higher, there's nothing sporty about it.
    Thats not fair... takes a lot of skill to be a good showjumper or a jockey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

Rocket19 wrote: »

Show jumping is not a real sport. I'm not saying it's not difficult but that doesn't make it a sport.

Imo proper sports require you to be in top physical condition in order to be competitive, if you can be competitive and are overweight or physically unfit then it's not a real sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Min wrote: »
    Wrestling.

What kind of wrestling?.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Wrestling for me too

Show jumping is not a real sport. I'm not saying it's not difficult but that doesn't make it a sport.

Imo proper sports require you to be in top physical condition in order to be competitive, if you can be competitive and are overweight or physically unfit then it's not a real sport
    You can't be overweight of physically unfit to be a good showjumper, especially not a jockey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Icepick wrote: »
    polo
    Beat me to it. The riders and horses seem to care, but for everyone else it's a social occasion. A place to see and be seen, dahling. :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Eathrin wrote: »
    The amount of people jumping on the football bandwagon just because we're qualified for the Euro's pisses me off!

And why would that piss you off ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

American wrestling.
    Absolute dumb-down fodder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

You can't be overweight of physically unfit to be a good showjumper, especially not a jockey

Maybe not overweight but you don't have to be anywhere near peak physical condition to be a show jumper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

What kind of wrestling?.

Does sumo wrestling count? I only went because I was a guest - and the way the wrestlers farted - like rolling thunder - was the most memorable part of it all. :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Biggins wrote: »
    American wrestling.

A tad unfair, I think thats a stereotypical view of pro wrestling, its a lot more than two Neanderthals beating each other over the head. :pac:

The business is all about entertaining, think of it as a male soap opera, performers as well as having to be in peak physical condition also have to possess acting abilty and charisma to make a name for themselves in what is a very competitive industry as theres only so many top money making spots to be had.

These characters and storylines the wrestlers and the company create are often layered and complex as well as gripping, far from dumb down fodder imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

In terms of competitors, I think any of the multiple-discipline sports could be regarded as fake.

Triathlon/Decathlon/Heptathlon/Modern pentathlon, etc only exist to give athletes of average talent a chance to win something. I'm pretty sure there's a unique combination of events where even I might stand a chance.

...These characters and storylines the wrestlers and the company create are often layered and complex...
    Forgive me I can't help laughing at that last part. :pac:

Two (or more) fella's get into a ring in a pre-arranged show of fake punching, throws with an already arranged result - and that is supposed to be layered and complex?

I politely disagree.

Where some might see entertainment, fair enough.
    I see over-hyped fixed daftness.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

American wrestling.

Have to agree the WWE wresteling is just .... silly..Another thing i think is a little on the fake side at times,is football,all the unessecary whinging and fake rolling of certain high profile players about doesnt do much for the sport eventhough i do watch it at times and enjoy watching it..

...at times, is football, all the unessecary whinging and fake rolling of certain high profile players about doesnt do much for the sport even though I do watch it at times and enjoy watching it.

I would say some of them deserve an Oscar - but their on pitch acting is so bad, its laughable sometimes. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

Synchronised swimming & curling (it's really ice sweeping)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Two (or more) fella's get into a ring in a pre-arranged show of fake punching, throws with an already arranged result - and that is supposed to be layered and complex?

I politely disagree.

Where some might see entertainment, fair enough.
    I see over-hyped fixed daftness.

The point I am making is that its not as shallow as you perceive it to be. I get the impression that you view wrestling as low brow nonsense catering for the lowest common denominator.

The point I am making is that its not as shallow as you perceive it to be. I get the impression that you view wrestling as low brow nonsense catering for the lowest common denominator.

I certainly view American wrestling as low brow, nonsense. :)
    As I said, two (or more) fella's, beating their chests sometimes like apes, roaring silly things before, during and after a pre-arranged show of fake punching, throws with an arranged result as layered and complex!
    Entertainment to some it might be (sadly) but layered and complex? No.

We must agree to disagree.
    I personally feel its a poor form of entertainment no matter how hard they have pushed iron to build up muscles or learned their Shakespearian script!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I certainly view American wrestling as low brow, nonsense. :)
    As I said, two (or more) fella's, beating their chests sometimes like apes, roaring silly things before, during and after a pre-arranged show of fake punching, throws with an arranged result as layered and complex!
    Entertainment to some it might be (sadly) but layered and complex? No.

We must agree to disagree.
    I personally feel its a poor form of entertainment no matter how hard they have pushed iron to build up muscles or learned their Shakespearian script!

Totally disagree. These guys put their bodies on the line, night after night for entertainment purposes. Often becoming addicted to painkillers just to prolong their careers. Nothing 'fake' in it for them. WWE doesn't market itself as a sport, and hasn't for a long time. Entertainment is its aim, and the 'layers' and 'complexity' comes in to the storytelling part of it.

I'm not saying it all works, there are some shocking wrestlers out there, but sometimes companies like WWE push the most marketable guys to the front, rather than the most talented. I doubt a lot of people from 1984-1995 didn't know who Hulk Hogan was, and he's an awful wrestler to be fair.

But there are very talented, athletic, powerful guys who can tell a whole story with a dance in the ring. Long story short, it's a dance, but the best in the business can throw in a few off the cuff moves, surprise the audience, and they're the guys people love to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Cheerleading.

Somehow in america its considered a sport...

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Totally disagree. These guys put their bodies on the line, night after night for entertainment purposes. Often becoming addicted to painkillers just to prolong their careers. Nothing 'fake' in it for them. WWE doesn't market itself as a sport, and hasn't for a long time. Entertainment is its aim, and the 'layers' and 'complexity' comes in to the storytelling part of it.

I'm not saying it all works, there are some shocking wrestlers out there, but sometimes companies like WWE push the most marketable guys to the front, rather than the most talented. I doubt a lot of people from 1984-1995 didn't know who Hulk Hogan was, and he's an awful wrestler to be fair.

But there are very talented, athletic, powerful guys who can tell a whole story with a dance in the ring. Long story short, it's a dance, but the best in the business can throw in a few off the cuff moves, surprise the audience, and they're the guys people love to watch.

No argument that it entertains to some - even it its is still all fake, marketing and another way to earn a living as is any other entertaining be the participants too in a play, film or comedy.

I guess I'll have to broaden my definition of dancing also if that what they are doing! Yikes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Joko

Cheerleading.

Somehow in america its considered a sport...

You should watch this and maybe you'll disagree.

• Advertisement

storylines are layered and complex in pro wrestling, some so complex even the writers forget parts they wrote weeks and months ago

the two main matches at this years wrestlemania had storylines stretching back 4 years, pro wrestling is a soap opera, at any time you can have over a dozen different storylines taking place on the same show, the matches that take place in the ring usually are the culmination of storylines that could date back a week, a month, a year or even longer

one of my favourite storylines in wrestling is the new world order in the old wcw, it was so simple but hugely effective at the time

its early 1996, wwf since 1984 and the birth of hulkmania (hulk hogans first title win) have been the dominant force in pro-wrestling in america, kevin nash and scott hall are top stars in wwf under the names diesel and razor ramon, both men tell owner vince mcmahon they are leaving to join rivals wcw and number 2 brand (owned by ted turner) for much bigger pay and less dates, this is all kept under wraps from the fans of course

may 1996 hall appears on the live wcw nitro tv show one monday night (nitro goes out live at the same time as wwfs flagship tv show raw), hall plays his old wwf character (which is copyright infringement), next week nash appears with hall in wcw again playing his wwf character, both men (and all the people working in wcw) act like they have been sent from the wwf and that an interpromotional war is under way (of course thats not the case but interest in wcw reaches new heights so much so that they are now beating wwf in the weekly tv rating) nash and hall announce that there is a 3rd man but they don't name him, they want wcw to put their three best wrestlers against them at the upcoming ppv in the main event

day of the ppv hype surrounding wcw is at a level never before seen, the match starts but no 3rd man, hall and nash wrestle by themselves, towards the end of the match nash and hall have seemingly got the better of their wcw opponents and are just about to win when hulk hogan (the most famous wrestler on earth this past 20 years and the ultimate good guy) walks down the aisle, nash and hall noticing hogan quickly leave the ring, hogan goes to help his wcw mates but instead turns on them and helps hall and nash, for the first time in most wrestling fans memories hulk hogan the all american hero is a badguy, its the most shocking moment in wrestling for many, the ring is filled with rubbish and softdrinks thrown by fans as hogan closes the show with an unforgettable speech

this leads to period where wcw beat wwf in the ratings for 88 weeks, wwf would return in 1998 stronger than ever though with steve austin (ironically a former wcw wrestler who was let go in 1995 because they thought he didn't have star quality) and dwayne "the rock" johnson leading them to their most successful period ever, eventually wcw would go out of business in early 2001and wwf would buy wcw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    In terms of competitors, I think any of the multiple-discipline sports could be regarded as fake.

Triathlon/Decathlon/Heptathlon/Modern pentathlon, etc only exist to give athletes of average talent a chance to win something. I'm pretty sure there's a unique combination of events where even I might stand a chance.

In no way are elite multi-eventers of average talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

horse racing the poshies go and look posh while the rest of us just go to the bookies and try make money

rossie1977 wrote: »
    storylines are layered and complex in pro wrestling, some so complex even the writers forget parts they wrote weeks and months ago

the two main matches at this years wrestlemania had storylines stretching back 4 years, pro wrestling is a soap opera, at any time you can have over a dozen different storylines taking place on the same show, the matches that take place in the ring usually are the culmination of storylines that could date back a week, a month, a year or even longer

one of my favourite storylines in wrestling is the new world order in the old wcw, it was so simple but hugely effective at the time

its early 1996, wwf since 1984 and the birth of hulkmania (hulk hogans first title win) have been the dominant force in pro-wrestling in america, kevin nash and scott hall are top stars in wwf under the names diesel and razor ramon, both men tell owner vince mcmahon they are leaving to join rivals wcw and number 2 brand (owned by ted turner) for much bigger pay and less dates, this is all kept under wraps from the fans of course

may 1996 hall appears on the live wcw nitro tv show one monday night (nitro goes out live at the same time as wwfs flagship tv show raw), hall plays his old wwf character (which is copyright infringement), next week nash appears with hall in wcw again playing his wwf character, both men (and all the people working in wcw) act like they have been sent from the wwf and that an interpromotional war is under way (of course thats not the case but interest in wcw reaches new heights so much so that they are now beating wwf in the weekly tv rating) nash and hall announce that there is a 3rd man but they don't name him, they want wcw to put their three best wrestlers against them at the upcoming ppv in the main event

day of the ppv hype surrounding wcw is at a level never before seen, the match starts but no 3rd man, hall and nash wrestle by themselves, towards the end of the match nash and hall have seemingly got the better of their wcw opponents and are just about to win when hulk hogan (the most famous wrestler on earth this past 20 years and the ultimate good guy) walks down the aisle, nash and hall noticing hogan quickly leave the ring, hogan goes to help his wcw mates but instead turns on them and helps hall and nash, for the first time in most wrestling fans memories hulk hogan the all american hero is a badguy, its the most shocking moment in wrestling for many, the ring is filled with rubbish and softdrinks thrown by fans as hogan closes the show with an unforgettable speech

this leads to period where wcw beat wwf in the ratings for 88 weeks, wwf would return in 1998 stronger than ever though with steve austin (ironically a former wcw wrestler who was let go in 1995 because they thought he didn't have star quality) and dwayne "the rock" johnson leading them to their most successful period ever, eventually wcw would go out of business in early 2001and wwf would buy wcw

Right... and any tuning in the for the first or fifth time is supposed to know all this?
    ..They see instead just a lot of roaring and shouting, fake fighting, over-dramatised "ouches" and "O' me arm, me leg, me back, me knee!" or over-acted injuries for fake slaps... etc!

A ten year old kids is supposed to know what this opera is all about since 4 years ago, 1996 or 1984?

Himmmm...

"Son, see those chaps in the ring?"

"Yes dad!"

"Well they are actually dancing!"

Son: :eek:

"And what does the belt of someone's back with a metal chair mean dad?"

"Hell if I know son!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

Maybe not overweight but you don't have to be anywhere near peak physical condition to be a show jumper

To be at olympic level you most certainly would! An obese person could do any sport, but not well.

I suppose you probably think you dont have to be fit to be in motorsports either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

No argument that it entertains to some - even it its is still all fake

you can't fake falling throught a table (even if it is plywood), getting hit across the shoulderblades with a steel chair, cutting yourself with a blade to draw blood, jumping/falling off a ladder 15 ft up in the air, etc etc.

• Advertisement

you can't fake falling throught a table (even if it is plywood), getting hit across the shoulderblades with a steel chair, cutting yourself with a blade to draw blood, jumping/falling off a ladder 15 ft up in the air, etc etc.

So its not organised in advance thats going to happen then?
    The table by a ringside, a spare steel-chair or a blade just happens to be lying near by and the wrester is able to find them when many others including others that have set-up the place, seems to have missed them?

Ok!

You can't fake real injuries when they happen by accident - you can fake this sport though.
    ...And if as some make out that its all telling of a story and/or a dance(!)... why is it still just called a sport? Its a show.

A genuine sport for me is something that genuine people enter and do for the sake of winning prizes, credit and/or recognition.
    Hell, even the bookies take bets on real sports. American wrestling - its a whole other fake thing for me.

Sorry but that's me feelings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Daith

Ok!

You can't fake real injuries when they happen by accident - you can fake this sport though.
    ...And if as some make out that its all telling of a story and/or a dance(!)... why is it still just called a sport? Its a show.

Exactly. It's an entertainment show. I'm not sure why it's even included here.

If wrestlers want to take chair shots or cut themselves for their art...fine. It still doesnt make it a real sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Quiddich.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Flat racing attracts the squealing bimbos tottering around in high heels who shriek if they get anywhere close to a horse. Most horse racing supporters aren't like that, thankfully, they are there to actually see the horses run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Soccer. Falldownball more like

• Advertisement
Advertisement