Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What, in your opinion, is the fakest sport?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Tennis, you would think Sharapova was getting gang banged the way she grunts and shrieks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Fencing where is the point in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

you can't fake falling throught a table (even if it is plywood), getting hit across the shoulderblades with a steel chair, cutting yourself with a blade to draw blood, jumping/falling off a ladder 15 ft up in the air, etc etc.

But it's not sport. It's entertainment, it is scripted and rehearsed "fights" with a known winner. Sport is about competition, the winner isn't known in sport. WWE requires a certain set of skills yes, but those are the skills of an actor / stuntman in fairness. It is not a sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Probably the fakest sport of all is the actual sport of bandwagon jumping. They have a "world championship" in Milwaukee every year and thousands of spectators.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

So, no one actually read the question in the OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

baz2009 wrote: »
    So, no one actually read the question in the OP?

You actually read that?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Probably the fakest sport of all is the actual sport of bandwagon jumping. They have a "world championship" in Milwaukee every year and thousands of spectators.

Never heard of that one! Goodness! LOL :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You actually read that?!

Some of us do read thigns before posting, yes. Rare, but it happens.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I think formula 1 is the fakest sport, a bunch of rich posers standing around posing while sipping champers who couldnt give a flying fup what the result is as long as they know where the after race party is and they are on the vip list.

oxo_ wrote: »
    Naked showjumping would be cool though.

Please!!!!

The last thing I want to see is is a naked Harney in a harness! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Sport gives people a sense of identity and some craic with a few cans of an afternoon but i could'nt take it seriously . It should be no more than that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

For all you non wrestling fans out there this guy is coming to get you.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

You can't be overweight of physically unfit to be a good showjumper, especially not a jockey

Maybe not overweight but you don't have to be anywhere near peak physical condition to be a show jumper

Thats balls, you have to be seriously fit and balanced to be a good showjumper!!

Yes polo definitely has the fake thing going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

I think formula 1 is the fakest sport, a bunch of rich posers standing around posing while sipping champers who couldnt give a flying fup what the result is as long as they know where the after race party is and they are on the vip list.

For the vips yes definately. But generally the stands are full of proper fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

mud wrestling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Lawn bowls. The whole thing is corrupt from the ground up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

greyhound racing is surely worse than horse racing no??

at least jockeys are involved in horse racing who could be considered athletes in some sense of the word who are in control of the horse and it's pace... jockey needs to know the horse and the course to decide when to make the break for the line and all that...

in the dogs it's just let them loose and see who comes in first.. some people win money, others don't...

A fair few people here would be able to name at least 1-2 famous horses I'd say (awaits for a rake of comments saying "I don't") but how many people could even name 1 greyhound or even a famous race or meeting or anything got to do with greyhound racing??

a sport completely designed for gambling - and the lack of human interaction with the dogs compared to the horses during the events surely makes it even worse again??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Virtual racing in the bookies
    http://www.virtualhorseracingresults.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/virtual-horse-racing.jpg

The jockey in the 3rd race at Steepledowns gave a shocking ride, cost me money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

For all you non wrestling fans out there this guy is coming to get you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Tennis, horseracing and rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Biggins wrote: »
    American wrestling.
    Absolute dumb-down fodder.

You mean 'Pro Wrestling' so... "American" Collegiate Wrestling (freestyle wrestling) is a fantastic sport.

The Pro Wrestling stuff is just athletic clowns putting on a show of entertainment for children and very immature adults, actually I find adults watching it pretty pathetic tbh.

'Pro Wrestling' fanboys God love 'em :o

'Fake Sports' - I'll pick Frisbie and Parkour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

so surprised noone said esports like SC2 , which i personally love <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnqtlSUMhTY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Zorbing?

SLAM DUNKING!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You mean 'Pro Wrestling' so... "American" Collegiate Wrestling (freestyle wrestling) is a fantastic sport.

The Pro Wrestling stuff is just athletic clowns putting on a show of entertainment for children and very immature adults, actually I find adults watching it pretty pathetic tbh.

'Fake Sports' - I'll pick Frisbie and Parkour.[/QUOT

I don't find anything pathetic about watching pro wrestling it entertains me, I watch competitive fight sports like MMA and Boxing also. Athletic clowns is quite a harsh term to use, these guys are professionally trained athletes who work an incredibly hard schedule week in and out for their craft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

That's it, we can close the thread now.

Recently saw someone on Facebook had listed this as a sport he plays. Made me want to punch the bollox in the face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

golf and soccer.
    ice-hockey is the king of all sports, all soccer players should have some ice-hockey training in winters. would like to see italians faliing on the cold ice and spending priceless time writhing in fake pain.

I don't find anything pathetic about watching pro wrestling it entertains me, I watch competitive fight sports like MMA and Boxing also. Athletic clowns is quite a harsh term to use, these guys are professionally trained athletes who work an incredibly hard schedule week in and out for their craft.

It's not pathetic if you take it as a form of entertainment, which is what it is. When I see an adult cheering on a pro wrestler, or having conversations about whos going to win and generally acting as if it's a real sport, I can't help but cringe a little. It's like roaring at the tv during coronation street.

I wouldn't say athletic clowns is a harsh term at all. It acknowledges the fact that they're athletes, which the undoubtedly are. It also acknowledges that, like clowns, they dress up silly and put on shows for the entertainment of children.

Biggins wrote: »
    American wrestling.
    Absolute dumb-down fodder.

Parkour was never ever intended to be a sport or anything competitive, that's the essence of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

haminka wrote: »
    golf and soccer.
    ice-hockey is the king of all sports, all soccer players should have some ice-hockey training in winters. would like to see italians faliing on the cold ice and spending priceless time writhing in fake pain.

Dont know how you can say golf, you either like it or dont like it, dont know of many people that attend or watch golf just to be seen.

flyswatter wrote: »
    Parkour was never ever intended to be a sport or anything competitive, that's the essence of it.

It's not even a thing, it's just running around like a wanker.

• Advertisement

It's not even a thing, it's just running around like a wanker.
    Yeah, whatever.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Dont know how you can say golf, you either like it or dont like it, dont know of many people that attend or watch golf just to be seen.

Theres often silly chaps out there who dispute golfs status as a sport, these people have never played golf and don't appreciate the skill involved to excel at it.

Yeah, whatever.

Solid argument.

Parkour is to sport what this nonsense is to art: http://sensicology.wordpress.com/2010/08/04/video-hipster-performs-can-opening-and-peeing-art/

Wrestlers wear makeup, right?

I'm sure most wear eyeliner.

books4sale wrote: »
    Wrestlers wear makeup, right?

I'm sure most wear eyeliner.

Footballers wear clothes, right?

I'm sure most wear socks.

:confused:

Footballers wear clothes, right?

I'm sure most wear socks.

:confused:

TV coverege dosen't stop so a footballer can adjust his socks.

Silly thread thats making no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The Monaco F1 grand prix.

Not even a race any more, a mere procession and it's just about glitz and glamour and being seen there.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

There would be Raindrop Races on a pane of glass if bookies could find enough fools .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

extreme model making

• Advertisement

Aye.
    I have spent a good portion of my sport life (and hope to continue with my four children participating also) in the Martial Arts field (Wado-Ryu being the main component) with other fighting technical styles containing offensive, defensive, parrying and grappling, etc.
    The freestyle wrestling is at least true competition and involves more ambition to win within the arena, dojo or on even practise mats.
    Credit to those that do freestyle wrestling at least, they are a sport of genuine competition nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Not even a race any more, a mere procession and it's just about glitz and glamour and being seen there.

Yeah, there's not much racing, although GP2 and GP3 had some nice racing action before the f1 this year. It's a good circuit to watch them drive around but there's very little racing on it. In my opinion Qualifying is more exciting than the actual race.

Has anyone said Darts yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

all he had was the reins, now that is show jumping where skill is attached or is it that easy you don't even need clothes.

I'm in two minds about that.

Just from the tech' end of things, the methods alone they have invented for racing, defining lower fuel consumption and refining of power outage through a car system so that less energy resource is lost and every amp of power is utilised fully, has helped the standard car industry as such invented methods eventually make it further down the line into mainstream road cars and vehicles.

Certainly from a front-end show, it sometimes seems all models, fancy cars to sit on while the glamour pics are taken and the drivers are treated like gods occasionally - but behind it all, the back-room boys and girls are doing some serious hard work and have improved things greatly over time in a lot of mechanical areas alone.

The Monaco F1 grand prix still is a combination of the above. Just the former is only heard about more and the latter is sadly left to their own devices and never gets any much praise - when I feel they are the real heros of the racing industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 JohnMagic

l3m0n5 wrote: »
    Lacrosse - doesn't look like they really need safety gear

Professional Lacrosse games are the most ridiculous thing I've seen in my life. Fake fights make it as bad as WWE.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Definitely horse racing. I'd wager 90% of the people going are going for the event rather than the actual sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭I_p_freely

Show jumping is not a real sport. I'm not saying it's not difficult but that doesn't make it a sport.

Imo proper sports require you to be in top physical condition in order to be competitive, if you can be competitive and are overweight or physically unfit then it's not a real sport

That rules out American football as a sport!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

all he had was the reins, now that is show jumping where skill is attached or is it that easy you don't even need clothes.

Horses hair is very fine, especially their summer coat, and therefore are quite 'slippy' when riding bareback haha, you can slide right off without realising it! It requires a great amount of balance and comfort while riding a horse at a speed. People always think bareback riding is easy but once they hop up onto my horse they realise it's very hard when she takes one step in walk and they slip off :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Horses hair is very fine, especially their summer coat, and therefore are quite 'slippy' when riding bareback haha, you can slide right off without realising it! It requires a great amount of balance and comfort while riding a horse at a speed. People always think bareback riding is easy but once they hop up onto my horse they realise it's very hard when she takes one step in walk and they slip off :pac:

so would it be fair to say show jumping bareback while naked would be far more difficult and skill-full than fully geared up saddle, stirrups, boots, whip, (boots always come before whip)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

if you watch old pro wrestling matches from the 1960s or 70s there isnt a single child in the audience, in japan pro wrestling shares the back pages of newspapers with legit sports, vince mcmahon in the mid 1980s turned the product into a more child oriented show with his all conquering wwf (now wwe), but to suggest pro wrestling is just for children is miles off the mark though, some of the greatest "shooters" of all time ie georg hackenschmidt, frank gotch, lou thesz, akira maeda were all pro-wrestlers, in 1976 vince mcmahons father (vince sr) and japanese legend antonio inoki were already ahead of their time and booking worked and real mma events with the likes of ali and chuck wepner, show in question is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showdown_at_Shea#1976

some of sports icons are massive pro wrestling fans, tyson is a huge fan as is ali, both have appeared numerous times on wwf/wwe tv, mayweather is a fan and has wrestled, tons of mma and ufc stars are fans, nba players like tim duncan, shaq, charles barkley are often seen at live events with their familes, jose mourinho is a well known fan of wwe

wwe and vince can get alot of blame for turning the product is a cartoon comic book but for sheer spectacle wwe is on another planet compared to amateur wrestling, i was in miami this past april for wrestlemania 28, 70,000 people, enough fireworks to launch a rocket into space, lights, massive video screen playing promos, a concert, oh yeah there was some wrestling too involving one of the biggest names in movies

for anybody who has questions as to why adults watch pro wrestling i recommend two documentaries, one is a wwe production, the other a behind the scenes look at wrestling from a fans viewpoint, both are brilliant watches even if you hate wrestling

Advertisement