Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL FRENCH...Before/After**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭celtic10000

no its 20% for honours, 80 marks out of 400

No its20% for pass 25% for honours because you only get marked out of 80 for pass

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

lauz94 wrote: »
    Did anybody do the reaction piece based on the girls opinion that there are too many sports related programmes and that she find them boring? Would it have been ok to go against her statement and argue why they are a good thing ?

I'd presume so, although I agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Darksider

Answers for the aural from my memory:

Section I.
    1. 3 weeks.
    2. i) The daughter didn't want another person staying in her house.
    ii) The mother was unpleasant.
    3. Speaking with young irish people.

Section II.
    1. The boy would shut himself up in his room.
    2. He knew the price of a litre of vodka.
    3. i) She wasn't working enough at school.
    ii) She had no respect for her elders.
    4. South Africa
    5. They should spend time together (doing something I couldn't hear)

Section III.
    1. Chemistry
    2. She didn't understand the professor.
    3. i) She didn't want to spend so much time studying in university.
    ii) She didn't feel she had the qualities necessary to succeed as a doctor.
    4. At the start of the semester.
    5. i) It is physically difficult for a woman.
    ii) It is hard to find a permanent contract with a big restaurant.

Section IV.
    1. Published a book.
    2. Can't remember what the question was here...
    3. Health - Spouse, child etc is sick.
    4. i) Something about frozen/perishable food in the boot.
    ii) Woman had a hairdressers appointment she was late for.
    5. Tell the truth. (credit: montown)
    6. Immediately fines them.

Section V.
    1. Gentle breeze.
    2. 340g
    3. i) From the 29th story of a large building.
    ii) He injured something (his back?)

May have left out some questions cos I'm only doing it by memory but thats what I got for all of them.

EDIT: MCQ answers were A and D.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Champion Gold

Did anybody do the reaction piece based on the girls opinion that there are too many sports related programmes and that she find them boring? Would it have been ok to go against her statement and argue why they are a good thing ?

I disagreed with her. I said I would watch the euros and wimbledon this summer :L Then I said young people are more encouraged to play sports if they see more on the telly.
    Always do what Helen Lovejoy said and think of the children ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lauz94

I hope so,i just said that I don't agree with her opinion that they are boring and continued from there..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lauz94

Somebody else disagreed too :) I basically said the same thing that watching sport actually encourages people to participate and the benefits associate with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭montown

Darksider wrote: »

Section I.
    1. 3 weeks.

Section II.
    4. South Africa

Section III.
    1. Chemistry

Section IV.
    1. Published a book.
    5. Didn't really get a clear answer for this.

Section V.
    1. Gentle breeze.
    2. 340g

May have left out some questions cos I'm only doing it by memory but thats what I got for all of them.

it was tell the truth im nearly sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭MauraTheThird

I thought that this paper was really nice and fair. Nothing was too difficult and there was a lot of scope in the opinions. I'm seriously hoping I won't get marked down for the opinions being too long :L I couldn't stop myself!:D Seeing yer answers for the tape I'm happy out! Hopefully I'll get my A *fingers crossed*
    I think we'd the best tapework- our supervisor (bless him) , plugged in and turned on our CD player and we started grand out. At Section 3 Q1, it stopped. The batteries ran out and he'd forgotten to turn ON the switch at the wall:p Cue several minutes of giggling, figuring it out and the awkward fast forward "No, that's section 1... Yeah, still section one... Section Two now... No we're on Three.... YES YES THAT'S IT!" Very entertaining and put the whole room at their ease:D

montown wrote: »
    it was tell the truth im nearly sure :)

OK I'll edit it in for peoples convenience :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

would any mention of the word weak get marks? also what about just from a building?

Maybe a mark each, but I dunno, probably not for the first one but I'd say you'd get a mark for saying from a building!

Lads the higher level marks are like this:

Oral - 25% (100/400)
    Aural - 20% (80/400)
    Comprehensions - 30% (120/400)
    Written - 25% (100/400)

For ordinary I think it's 25% for the oral and 25% for the written.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

jesus that paper was beautiful, definitely the happiest i've been after any exam so far... got a b3 in the mocks, think i might actually get an a2 or a1 after that... you know those exams where its like, it seems like the examiner custom tailored the exam to suit your knowledge? that was french for me... sooo happy lol.. think i might have gotten full marks on both comps

btw: wasnt that qustion about why she was disapointed during her stay, that the girl wouldn't let anybody see her horse? and also the parachuter seriously injured his back, for section 5

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gethepoints

Darksider wrote: »

Section I.
    1. 3 weeks.

Section II.
    4. South Africa

Section III.
    1. Chemistry

Section IV.
    1. Published a book.
    5. Tell the truth. (credit: montown)

Section V.
    1. Gentle breeze.
    2. 340g

Shizzz... InsteAd of south africa, i wrote sweden. I swear i heared Suede being called out! And also for section iv 5 and 6, i wrote 'they must answer to the questions they're asked and he restrains them when they get agressive. I also wrote 22nd building instead of 29.. ZzzZzzZ. I'd say I got half of all that paper correct even though I attempted them all. You know how they mark the french aural, 1 letter wrong or a misplaced word and no marks for you :(

Nnnoooooooooo!! Just realised that I said something like "she had a meeting at the hairdresser's house" for that driving question. "House." FML. It said "chez le choiffeur", "chez" has always meant house in my experience! :pac: Hope I don't lose too many marks for it. :(

Shizzz... InsteAd of south africa, i wrote sweden. I swear i heared Suede being called out! And also for section iv 5 and 6, i wrote 'they must answer to the questions they're asked and he restrains them when they get agressive. I also wrote 22nd building instead of 29.. ZzzZzzZ. I'd say I got half of all that paper correct even though I attempted them all. You know how they mark the french aural, 1 letter wrong or a misplaced word and no marks for you :(

You heard "Afric Sud" .. its annoying but that was it

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

Togepi wrote: »
    Nnnoooooooooo!! Just realised that I said something like "she had a meeting at the hairdresser's house" for that driving question. "House." FML. It said "chez le choiffeur", "chez" has always meant house in my experience! :pac: Hope I don't lose too many marks for it. :(

chez le coiffeurs= in the barbers, from google translate, so theres still hope!for both our sakes... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Gentlemanne

For the first one, I thought she says her hobby was horse riding and the reason she didnt like the daughter is because she wouldnt let anyone use her horse..

Did pretty good the rest though haha. Don't know how people pieced together the answer about the vodka

chez le coiffeurs= in the barbers, from google translate, so theres still hope!for both our sakes... :(

Yeah I knew it meant hairdressers, but I should've have realised it wouldn't be at their house, no matter how stupid the excuse was. :rolleyes: I'll probably lose one mark for it, hopefully not two though. I can't afford to lose more than 40 in the whole subject. :o :P

Togepi wrote: »
    Maybe a mark each, but I dunno, probably not for the first one but I'd say you'd get a mark for saying from a building!

Lads the higher level marks are like this:

Oral - 25% (100/400)
    Aural - 20% (80/400)
    Comprehensions - 30% (120/400)
    Written - 25% (100/400)

For ordinary I think it's 25% for the oral and 25% for the written.

You have the higher level one right but it's 20% for the ORDINARY oral and 25% for the ORDINARY listening

I wrote down he restrains them as well, but the general consensus I got from people was that it was actually 'fines them' so I put that down. That last bit of Section IV was really the only bit I had much trouble with.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 17Dan21

The opinion pieces were better than I had anticipated. Hopefully a B today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Champion Gold

You have the higher level one right but it's 20% for the ORDINARY oral and 25% for the ORDINARY listening

This is the HL thread though :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Kind of wishing I stuck with higher judging by some comments here.. Awh well :P

This is the HL thread though :/

i know im just clearing up the confusion between the 2

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭siobhan93

If you did really bad in the aural but sound in the actual written exam how much would you go down by?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

Considering NONE of those topics came up I'd say you did very well..

Grand paper I think. Comprehensions were brilliant, writing topics were manageable and despite some tricky questions in the Aural (question 3 :/) it was good overall.

So happy with it, hopefully I can get my B1 and if I'm reallyreallyreallyreally lucky an A :pac:
    Well obviously I had learnt other things, thought it was a grand paper, the reaction pieces were very like everything I had prepared for the oral so that was all grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TMCGY

Yea thats perfectly fine as long as you back up your reasons..Examiners dont care about your opinion :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 abbevilleson

For Q1 b I wrote about a great phone all I got off my friend who invited to to Audtralia and that I was really lookin forward 2 it and mam and dad gave the green light and I was really looking forward to it and would need to look for a job

Is that ok?? I'm kinda worried I should v made it more story like??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

I disagreed with the girl about the sport too! I just said its stupid for people to complain about sporting events like the Euros 'cos there's such a wide range of channels that there's so many other things to watch and the big events happen rarely so people who dislike sport only have to put up with them once in a while! Does that sound ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Ally7 wrote: »
    I disagreed with the girl about the sport too! I just said its stupid for people to complain about sporting events like the Euros 'cos there's such a wide range of channels that there's so many other things to watch and the big events happen rarely so people who dislike sport only have to put up with them once in a while! Does that sound ok?

Perfect :) I did the same except said there's loads of other things to do besides watch sport on the telly. That was possibly one of the easiest tests I've ever sat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

I've actually got all my written pieces beside me (did all of them, 1, 2, 3, 4 and five), I wrote them out on rough paper before actually writing them in. Anyone wanna read them and tell me what kinda marks I'll get for them? lol. Anyways lovely paper, just like history :D What's the oral/aural/written split does anyone know?

Advertisement