Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you do work experience in 5th year?

Options
  • 09-06-2012 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I've decided that i'm going to skip 4th year but I was wondering do they do work experience in 5th year?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are two work experience sessions in the Applied Leaving Cert., I think schools that do LCVP have one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

If you do the subject LCVP you will do it for one week :) it's a great subject because 60% of the overall grade is from assignments and just 40% from a Leaving Cert exam which usually takes place in early May! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

If you do the subject LCVP you will do it for one week :) it's a great subject because 60% of the overall grade is from assignments and just 40% from a Leaving Cert exam which usually takes place in early May! :)

P.S. in LCVP you either get a Pass, a Merit or a Distinction. Pass is 30 points, Merit is 50 points, Distinction is 70 points.
    No, Distinction is not so easy to get. A lot of work is required :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

If you are doing the Leaving Cert and not LCA I would highly recommend LCVP. I myself am only expecting a Merit in August, but I did work for it and might be surprised with a Distinction. :) LCVP is a lot of extra work but it is well worth it and you do develop skills and learn how to type up a portfolio correctly and everything.

If you don't have any interest in LCVP then why not just do some work experience outside of school? If you did LCVP the work experience would have to be during a mid term break, sure you can do that without LCVP. I did work experience on my last mid term in St. James' hospital and it had nothing to do with school, it was just for me. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you don't have any interest in LCVP then why not just do some work experience outside of school? If you did LCVP the work experience would have to be during a mid term break, sure you can do that without LCVP. I did work experience on my last mid term in St. James' hospital and it had nothing to do with school, it was just for me. :)

This is a good idea, provided you can get past insurance issues.
    Nothing to stop you spending a mid-term or even some weekends doing work experience. Another fall-back could be voluntary work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement