Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to go the beach!

Options
  • 09-06-2012 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I really want to bring the doggies to the beach this evening after work, what's the story with Salthill, will it be impossible to get through later?

We normally go to silver strand or Spideal at about 7 or 8pm.

Haven't been living in Galway that long, so not sure of best beaches, are there any the other side of Galway, around Oranmore and that?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Have you tried for example google maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Private Piles

snubbleste wrote: »

What's a google map??

Jesus why don't you try reading what I posted again instead of replying with unhelpful nonsense.

I was wondering would traffic be horrific later out around Salthill, I was also hoping for somebody to recommend a nice quiet beach for walking dogs, (within roughly 30 mins from town) if that area is a no go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

renmore beach is quiet and when tide is out theres loads of space.

Seaneh wrote: »

Sounds perfect, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Seaneh wrote: »
    Is that another name for Ballyloughane beach or somewhere else entirely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Furbo beach is a good spot if you catch it when the tide is out and are on that side of the city, also you can let the dogs run on the beach which you can't on Salthill beaches outside certain unsociable hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

If so watch out for the Dog Warden or the Gardai on Silver Strand!
    Beach bye laws

Dogs on beaches: From August 1st 2008, dogs will not be permitted on Galway City beaches or their waters between the hours of 9 am and 8 pm during the months of May, June, July, August and September. Before 9 am and after 8 pm during May to September, dogs are permitted on the beach provided they are on a leash and are not causing danger or nuisance. This bye-law relates solely to the Galway City beaches of Salthill, Grattan, Ballyloughane and Silverstrand and to their waters; the Promenade is not affected by its introduction.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/Environment/Beaches/Beachbye-laws/

And the penalty:
    A person who contravenes a provision of these bye-laws shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding €1904.60 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 months or both.

A person may be served with a fixed payment notice as an alternative to a prosecution for a contravention of a bye-law indicating that a prosecution will not be instituted if payment of € 31.74 is made to the Council during the period of 21 days beginning on the date of the notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

snubbleste wrote: »

Bit harsh! Avoid salt hill today- Mumford and sons out there do would say it'll be quite busy- head to spideal if it driving. Go through Taylor's hill instead of salt hill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I really want to bring the doggies to the beach this evening after work, what's the story with Salthill, will it be impossible to get through later?

Haven't been living in Galway that long, so not sure of best beaches, are there any the other side of Galway, around Oranmore and that?

Thanks guys!

please take the dog**** with you when you bring them for walkies.

• Advertisement

And the penalty:

That is a law that is supposed to be enforced but is not. blackrock has a sign saying no dogs in the bathing area. after all not everyone wants to swim in the same water as dogs. I pointed this out to a middle class couple and they got up on their high horse.

the prom is full of excrement. dog owners should really be encouraged to be responsible.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    the prom is full of excrement. dog owners should really be encouraged to be responsible.
    I see a few HSE lads quick marching up and down the prom when I drive past of the odd morning, is that maybe related? You're dead right though, manys the time I've quick marched myself with a tissue full of doggy jobby to the nearest receptacle, leave it how you found it.

Thanks for that, didn't know it was until 8pm, just presumed it was during day. We did have a quick look around for some sign on Silverstrand but couldn't spot anything.

Just for the record, our dogs are always on leads, they can't be let off anyway or they will never return.

And all sh1t is picked up!! But to be honest, that only ever happened once on the beach. :o

please take the dog**** with you when you bring them for walkies.

No I normally don't take dog sh/t with me when we go for walkies, usually just their leads and some water.

Maybe try not to be so effing patronizing.

No I normally don't take dog sh/t with me when we go for walkies, usually just their leads and some water.

Maybe try not to be so effing patronizing.

I have no desire to be patronising. I see some dog owners cleaning up after their dogs, but I also see a considerable amount of dog dirt on the beach and prom so clearly not all dog owners consider it necessary to clean up. the beach and prom is there for everyone to enjoy and those who have stepped into dog dirt are less than impressed with irresponsible dog owners. just like having a large dog jumping up on me or scaring the kids cos the owner has let their pet off the leash is bound to lead to discord.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

I'm with fuinseog here, I kite landboard on Renmore beach and the worst thing when packing up is noticing you have dog crap up your legs and harness:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 polskafanka

I have no desire to be patronising. I see some dog owners cleaning up after their dogs, but I also see a considerable amount of dog dirt on the beach and prom so clearly not all dog owners consider it necessary to clean up. the beach and prom is there for everyone to enjoy and those who have stepped into dog dirt are less than impressed with irresponsible dog owners. just like having a large dog jumping up on me or scaring the kids cos the owner has let their pet off the leash is bound to lead to discord.

I agree, but more bins would help -I won't take it to my car!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

See I cannot fathom this. You won't take your own dog's sh*t to your car and have it double bagged for 5 mins before you drive to a bin, yet you'd leave it on a beach for someone's barefooted kid to walk in.

Yes I agree, yes to more bins, but absolutely no to ditching responsibility because of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 polskafanka

inisboffin wrote: »
    See I cannot fathom this. You won't take your own dog's sh*t to your car and have it double bagged for 5 mins before you drive to a bin, yet you'd leave it on a beach for someone's barefooted kid to walk in.

Yes I agree, yes to more bins, but absolutely no to ditching responsibility because of that.

Maybe, but my dog never does it on a beach anyway.. :) he is too focused on a ball and fun, the same in parks or paths, I trained him not to -he prefers bushes or woods somewhere on side.
    (and if it would happen I would clean it anyway)
    -but more bins are needed everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

(and if it would happen I would clean it anyway)

Fair enough. It just sounded from your last post like you wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Jaysus, there's a lot of shìte talk going on. Ba dum dum tish!

I'll get me coat...

If a bit of a drive is an option, Spiddal beach is a cracker. Usually quiet enough as well and there's plenty of secluded spots for you or your dog to take a crap. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

:mad:

You SHOULD take it to your car, if no bins are around. Then put it in your bin at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

If a bit of a drive is an option, Spiddal beach is a cracker
    From around Furbo onwards you can take pretty much any left turn and you'll end up by the sea and it'll be pretty quiet.

Malice wrote: »
    From around Furbo onwards you can take pretty much any left turn and you'll end up by the sea and it'll be pretty quiet.
    There are loads of teeny beaches along that road, I love taking my kelly kettle, a jar of stew, some tae and my nook and going off exploring for the day with doggy.

Advertisement