Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Science (computing)- evening

• 09-06-2012 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi I'm hoping some of you can answer some questions that I can't find the answer to online. When applying to this, when should I expect to hear back? Are the classes large, what are the chances of being accepted?

Also, is the monthly payment option over 6,9 or 12 months?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Tsaic wrote: »
    Hi I'm hoping some of you can answer some questions that I can't find the answer to online. When applying to this, when should I expect to hear back? Are the classes large, what are the chances of being accepted?

Also, is the monthly payment option over 6,9 or 12 months?

Thanks

You should hear back fairly quickly after you apply. I'm just finished first year and the class started with about 60 people but has shrunk significantly since. Not sure about the monthly option. I think one of my classmates said he paid a lump sum up front then the rest over 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Clanket wrote: »
    You should hear back fairly quickly after you apply. I'm just finished first year and the class started with about 60 people but has shrunk significantly since. Not sure about the monthly option. I think one of my classmates said he paid a lump sum up front then the rest over 6 months.

756 Up front
    Then 6 monthly payments of 504

There are other options available and if you speak to someone in the college they will happily work out a way to take your money. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Joncol

I'm thinking of starting this course part time in September.

I only did ordinary maths in the leaving and was never much good at science.

I do have a big interest in the web and emerging technologies but I must admit that I'm worried that this course might be more than I'm able for given my poor record in maths/science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Joncol wrote: »
    I'm thinking of starting this course part time in September.

I only did ordinary maths in the leaving and was never much good at science.

I do have a big interest in the web and emerging technologies but I must admit that I'm worried that this course might be more than I'm able for given my poor record in maths/science.

I just finished Year 1 and thought it was great. A lot of people struggled with the Semester 1 Maths module but the majority (if not everyone) passed. If you put in the time and effort you will be fine. But if you don't you will quickly fall behind.

Programming was another module that people struggled with. I'd suggest that if you are serious about doing the course, get yourself a copy of Head First Java and begin learning it immediately. I did that last year and had a big advantage over the others when the course started. Head First is on the recomended reading list anyway.

It's a tough course, especially part time, but very rewarding if you put in the effort. I can't wait for Sep and Year 2.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Just about to start year 4 of this course part time and as the previous poster said, if you put the time and effort in, it's not the most difficult course in the world to get through. Programming is the most challenging for most people who have never done it before so it would be a good idea to get a head start. It's tough going part time, especially if you're in full time employment but it'll make finishing it all that more satisfying :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement