Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst player to win a major championship.

• 09-06-2012 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

For me it is Djimi Traore with Liverpool in 2005.Jesus,he was shocking.I remember him scoring an own goal in the fa cup a couple of years ago.He backheeled it into his own net.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Samaras for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

ASOT wrote: »
    Samaras for me.

Surely there was worse players on that Greek team?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

What did Samaras win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Surely there was worse players on that Greek team?:confused:

Edit - i just made an arse of myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Well i could have picked some unknown greek player but i decided to go with one pople would know.

@Renn - The Euros

he was not in the 2004 squad!

and i would have Josemi as being one of the worst players to win a major medal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Well i could have picked some unknown greek player but i decided to go with one pople would know.

@Renn - The Euros
    He made his debut in 2006 so he didnt play in 2004

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Roque Junior/ Raul Bravo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

To keep the Liverpool related theme of the OP, Bernard Diomede has a world cup winners medal. :D

As for Traore in 2005. He did make a goal line clearance in the CL final in 2005 and played his part that night.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

yomtea98 wrote: »
    For me it is Djimi Traore with Liverpool in 2005.Jesus,he was shocking.I remember him scoring an own goal in the fa cup a couple of years ago.He backheeled it into his own net.

Couple of years ago? As in 2005?

Traore wasn't good, but he put in some colossal performances vs Juve away, vs Milan (bar the FK at the start) and Chelsea in the Carling Cup before he got injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Anderson winning CL 2008. Reminded me of that lad who made his way onto the pitch in Istanbul in terms of contribution. He was woeful in evey match leading up, fcuk knows how he stayed in the squad for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Anderson winning CL 2008. Reminded me of that lad who made his way onto the pitch in Istanbul in terms of contribution. He was woeful in evey match leading up, fcuk knows how he stayed in the squad for it.

Probably because he wasn't woeful

Given the other thread you started we know you don't like Ando, but really to pick him out is quite silly tbh

There are so many others you could have said that would have actually fitted, Josemi springs to mind instantly

kryogen wrote: »
    Probably because he wasn't woeful

Given the other thread you started we know you don't like Ando, but really to pick him out is quite silly tbh

Im a Pool fan (or, I used to be anyway). So if I was out to abuse a good player it would be better to try jump on the bandwagon of Rooney is overrated, or Rio is passed it.

Rooney is class despite his blip in form last year. He is class and will be for another 7 years minimum.
    Rio should be in the England squad.

Anderson is sh1te. Something that you, as a Utd fan, seem to be forgetting the fans agreeing on not too long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Im a Pool fan (or, I used to be anyway). So if I was out to abuse a good player it would be better to try jump on the bandwagon of Rooney is overrated, or Rio is passed it.

Rooney is class despite his blip in form last year. He is class and will be for another 7 years minimum.

Anderson is sh1te. Something that you, as a Utd fan, seem to be forgetting the fans agreeing on not too long ago.
    Anderson is bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

As a Utd fan, I don't think Ando is shíte, he's just incredibly inconsistent. If he could play to his ability consistently then I'm happy to have him at Utd, and he would walk into the current Liverpool team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

He's definitely not high on the list of worst players to win a major championship that's for sure. Pretty pathetic how quickly these thread become a United/Liverpool point scoring exercise.

Anderson is not ****, what difference does it make to me if you found United fans who agreed? Plenty of United fans will also tell you Carrick is ****, Nani is **** etc

Means very little, Anderson is inconsistent, but when he has had a run he has performed well, his main problem is injuries, he simply cant seem to keep himself fit. That could be what finishes his United career, but it wont be a lack of ability

Rekop dog wrote: »
    He's definitely not high on the list of worst players to win a major championship that's for sure. Pretty pathetic how quickly these thread become a United/Liverpool point scoring exercise.

Welcome to boards.ie soccer forum!

Some players that come to mind for me are

Dida
    Karembu
    Oleguer
    Finidi George

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

aaand back on topic...

I have a nomination, René Schneider.

European Championship Winner 1996 (1 International Cap - Friendly against South Africa, Dec 95. Member of Euro 96 Squad)
    Champions League Winner 1997 (1 CL Appearance in QF 1st Leg - Left out of Final Squad)

aaand back on topic...

I have a nomination, René Schneider.

European Championship Winner 1996 (1 International Cap - Friendly against South Africa, Dec 95. Member of Euro 96 Squad)
    Champions League Winner 1997 (1 CL Appearance in QF 1st Leg - Left out of Final Squad)

Not really in the spirit of it though is he?

Not in the same vein as an Oleguer or a Finidi George like, they actually played in major finals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Luke Chadwick

/thread

• Advertisement

Anderson is not ****, what difference does it make to me if you found United fans who agreed? Plenty of United fans will also tell you Carrick is ****, Nani is **** etc

From the beginning most Utd fans have rated Nani as one of the teams weak points, given him loads of stick. I have from the start rated him as a great prospect if given a good run, he has the makings of a world class player (wont prove it this summer mind, Portugal are awful). Has nothing to do with bias- one of my few hopes of McShane, if he has to be played this summer, is, combined with his performance against the Czech Rep that one time, is that he played well enough to get attention from Utd (clutching at strwas I know :( ). McShane is awful but has shown the odd time on the big ones he can pull it out of somewhere

Not really in the spirit of it though is he?

Not in the same vein as an Oleguer or a Finidi George like, they actually played in major finals

Well he's a player who has won 2 major championships with only one appearance on the pitch between them.

He also appears to have only played 25 games between 1996 and 2004 at club level.

Nani already is world class in the sense that he is certainly in amongst the top few players in his position for sure.

Jordi Cryuff anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Traore is a hero.

Well he's a player who has won 2 major championships with only one appearance on the pitch between them.

He also appears to have only played 25 games between 1996 and 2004 at club level.

Thats kind of what I meant :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Sorry to break up the Liverpool vs Man Utd party but I'd like to nominate Stéphane Guivarc'h who won a World Cup medal with France in 1998 then went on to totally flop at both Newcastle & Rangers.

The party ended an hour ago dude!

Thats kind of what I meant :)

Well for me Finidi George has played and won too much to be considered that bad. 3 Dutch Leagues, 1 Champions League, 1 Africa Cup of Nations, played in two World Cups and earned 62 international caps.
    Oleguer is basically Barca's Jesper Blomqvist - taken off for someone who went on to score in the final. He wasn't by any measure a great player but he still made over 100 appearances for Barcelona.

The reason I'm advocating for Schneider is because of how little he played in relation to the medals he holds. He has medals for winning two of the biggest competitions in football despite having only played in one game between the two of them.

Basically, we're using different criteria :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Stephane Guivarc'h.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

yomtea98 wrote: »

England have quite a few legends, carlton palmer has to be one of the worst.

he had quite a few caps, for someone with his..erm ball skills.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The Zambian third choice goalie maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

David May

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Rekop dog wrote: »

Welcome to boards.ie soccer forum!

Some players that come to mind for me are

Dida
    Karembu
    Oleguer
    Finidi George

Dida was in the FIFPro world XI two years running beating Buffon and Iker both years. He was in the CL team of the season a few times too. For a few seasons he was one of the best keepers in the world. Just had brain farts now and again.

He was also short listed for the Balon D'or.

Advertisement