Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shugborough inscription

Options
  • 09-06-2012 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Supposedly one of the hardest ever codes that all the great minds have failed to crack.

The Shugborough inscription is a sequence of letters - O U O S V A V V, between the letters D M -carved on the 18th-century Shepherd's Monument in the grounds of Shugborough Hall in Staffordshire, England, below a mirror image of Nicolas Poussin's painting, the Shepherds of Arcadia. It has never been satisfactorily explained, and has been called one of the world's top uncracked ciphertexts. [1] The inscription became widely known after being mentioned in the 1982 book The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, and Henry Lincoln.

I don't care so much about the conspiracy nonsense but more about the code/puzzle itself.

I am amazed at how much fun I have had playing around with possibilities.

The first thing I did is use oy arrak ab latin anagram generator to come up with some phrases using all letters.

there is only three possibilities:

avum vos v do
    avum vos v o d
    dum avo vos v

The most interesting one translate to the following:

Grandfather of five, I give you

this was pretty cool and so I decided to try a different angle using numbers.

I translated all letters other than D & M to their number counterpart while translating the v to their numeral number 5 as that just made sense to me and got:

15. 2 .15 .19. 5 .1 .5 .5

The next obvious step for me was to re translate each number back to a letter keeping in mind the numeral v to 5 and get:

A V B A V A I V A V V

There is 3 interesting Latin anagrams that translate to the following:

M vada avi ab v
    The bird from the shallows

Viam vada ab v
    The way the water from the...

vim vada ab v a
    The force of the water from the....

In order to get an anagram from the above letters I needed to leave out the two Roman numeral v's so maybe they come into play elsewhere using the D & M maybe?

This is great fun:D

Advertisement