Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keeping a battery charged in a little-used car

• 09-06-2012 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

We've a car that's almost always used for short trips around town a few times a week. It hardly ever gets a longer run.

Recently the battery went dead and had to be jump started. I then took it on a 30 mile run to charge up the battery a bit.

I think I need to do this longer trip more regularly to keep the battery from cutting out. How often should I do it? Would every 2 or 3 weeks be enough?

Comments

How old is the battery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yea its probably the age of the battery that`s the real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭moonage

RoverJames wrote: »
    How old is the battery?

I don't know.

It's a 2000 car that I got second hand.

I've had a look at the battery but can't see any date on it. Do batteries normally have the date when they're installed written on them?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I've the same problem. Brand new battery, Dies within a week. There's a drain on the battery somewhere. It's not the alternator. I just jump start it as needs be. I think of it as a security feature :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

antodeco wrote: »
    I've the same problem. Brand new battery, Dies within a week. There's a drain on the battery somewhere. It's not the alternator. I just jump start it as needs be. I think of it as a security feature :D

That was happening with a neighbours car here a while back. A quick look found it to be the boot light not going off when the boot was closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭moonage

BTW, I got the car serviced shortly before the battery died.

Would a standard service not check the state of the battery, including how charged it was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

moonage wrote: »
    BTW, I got the car serviced shortly before the battery died.

Would a standard service not check the state of the battery, including how charged it was?

As it's a 2000 car I'm thinking you didn't get it serviced by a main dealer so it's unlikely that it was checked. If it was you probably wouldn't like the bill for labour as they could check the battery and a lot of other stuff but people have to draw the line somewhere.

Most modern batteries are sealed so you can't measure the specific gravity of the electrolyte (the acid) which used to be the way you checked the health of a car battery. All you can measure is the voltage but if the engine has been running for a while it will probably show a decent voltage but that doesn't mean it won't be dead in the morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Your local motor factor will load test the battery for you, this will indicate its condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

A 12 volt solar battery charger would be your best bet if the battery is still ok. One of these should do the job ! http://www.ebay.ie/itm/4-Watt-12v-Volt-Solar-Panel-Trickle-Car-Battery-Charger-/120920947330?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Battery_Chargers&hash=item1c27733a82#ht_4172wt_922

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Gagetman

Yes the solar charger will do the job perfectly, I use one on a vintage car to keep the battery topped up when not in use and the engine starts every time No matter how long it's been idle. If the car is stored in the garage then you will have to mount the solar panel outside and run a wire to the battery. If the car is parked on the street then you could have the panel inside the window where it can get the most sunshine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If it's in a Garage then I'd rather have something like an Optimate hooked up to the battery to keep it good.
    If its outside then a Solar panel may be handier.
    There is a whole load of intelligent chargers out now that should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

Thanks for the link Greglo23. I will be doing mostly infrequent short journeys in my car myself, so not the best for the battery, and one of these might help to keep the battery topped up.

To anyone who uses them, are there any brands better than others or anything to watch out for? I was thinking of getting the 2 watt version of the one linked to above.

They seem quite cheap anyway, especially if it saves the hassle of a flat battery.

Edit: I meant to say I don't have a garage or a driveway, so would be charging this outside in an estate so this sort of charger looks good to me as it could be hooked up inside the car.

Advertisement