Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy probability Question O.L.. Please?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

It's definitely not on the OL course, I noticed that in one of the SEC circular letters. So no need to worry about this guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

If it's seriously not on the course I don't know why I'm even bothering with sample papers because they obviously don't correspond to the syllabus, ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Which circular was that? You all seem to mixing up permutations and combinations. Permutations are on the HL course and not the ordinary but combinations are on both.

Combinations are ways of choosing r objects from n objects when you don't care about order eg when downloading songs, it doesn't matter which you download first.

Permutations are ways of choosing r objects from n objects when order matters eg when choosing first, second and third place in a competition.

Only combinations are on OL and you can do them using the nCr function on your calculator.

Eg how many committees of three can be chosen from seven people?
    7ncr3

If one of the seven members John can not be chosen, how many committees are possible?
    There are only 6 people left to chose from but we still need three
    6ncr3

If Mary has to be on the committee how many possible arrangements are there?
    Mary is chosen leaving 6 people to pick from but we already have one of the three positions filled so we only need two more
    6ncr2

Advertisement