Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old laptop hard drive into self built?

Options
  • 09-06-2012 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭

I built my own desktop last year and its been great since, shortly after I finished my laptop died or at least the graphics card did, Im wondering if its possible to take out the hdd from the laptop and put it in the desktop.

The desktop is running win 7 and the laptop was vista will it be as simple and plugging the hdd in in getting the files I want from it or will I come across problems because of the different OS on the old hdd.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Just put the laptop drive into the desktop and use it as a second (normally D:\ or E:\) drive.
    You might have to change the jumpers on it to make it slave or cable select.
    You can then use the files on it but you wont be able to use the Vista on it.
    You could delete the Vista on the laptop drive to free up some space but be careful not to delete anything on your C:\ drive or any files that you want on the laptop drive.

hope that helps...

If the laptop drive is a SATA drive you might have to get an adaptor for it.
    You could always just get a USB holder for your laptop disk and use it externally to the desktop

Advertisement