Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exam scribe for a language subject

• 09-06-2012 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I am looking for advice from anyone who has been a scribe for a languages exam before.

I have been asked to scribe for a student for Spanish Leaving Cert exam but I have never been a scribe before so I don't really know how it works for languages.
    As spelling is important in languages, if I write the wrong spelling of a word how would this affect the students mark?
    I can speak, write and understand the language very well but of course I don't know every single word and all correct spellings.
    If they call out the word in Spanish and I don't know what it is, can I ask the student to spell it for me?

I have looked at the guidelines for readers and scribes from the SEC but it only gives general guidelines.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 Claregirl5

Hello PL!

Students who are granted access to a scribe usually have a waiver for spelling, language and punctuation for language subjects, which means that they will not be penalised for incorrect spellings. Therefore their mark will not be affected.

As long as a sentence sounds "correct" when read out loud, spelling mistakes will be ignored.

I hope this helps.

C.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pink lemonade

Thanks!
    That answers my question! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I think you normally write a line across the top of the script cover as well of the type 'I acted as scribe for this student' Pink Lemonade 9/6/12 so the examiner knows straight away that the student had a scribe.

Advertisement