Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non Geniune windows 7

Options
  • 09-06-2012 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I think I've dropped a right clanger here. Just getting in to PC building and built a great little computer, Bought an OEM copy of windows 7 from a vender on Amazon a couple of months ago. So I installed it, everything went fine, I didn't actually need the computer and had planned to sell it to a family member for the cost it was to build, so it was put back in the box and stuck in the cupboard. Got the PC out there and when windows updated itself a little message comes up in the bottom right hand corner saying this isn't a genuine copy of windows. And a little message every now and again saying "you could be a victim of copyright fraud".

Great!

So is there any way around it? Can I make this copy of windows Genuine or do I need to go out and buy a proper copy and do a fresh install? I've seen videos and guides on how to get rid of the message and make the computer think its a genuine copy but I want the copy to be legit and not give any problems down the line.
    I'm gonna be selling this to a family member so I don't want them thinking I'm a scammer who'd even do over a family member.

cheers all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Did you put in the license key? It could be still in trial mode.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

What happens when you try and enter the Windows licence key? What error does it give?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Did you receive a proper license sticker from the person who sold the OEM license (something like this)? If you did go to activate online, when it fails choose the via phone route, and when that in turn fails tell the microsoft person its legit and they should give you an activation code.
    If you only received the serial number via email, it could be fraudulant, an expired MSDN key or anything...

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mickysquint

cheers for the response guys.

It came with a disc, it wasn't the holographic type that Microsoft use though, and an envelope saying that the activation code was inside and once opened it was non returnable. I know alarm bells should have started to ring when I saw the disc and to be honest I'm kicking myself for being so stupid but I suppose I'm gonna have to put it down as a lesson learned. plus I didn't think Amazon would let vendors sell dodgy goods through them.

It installed fine and took the activation code no problem, but like I said, I stuck it away in a cupboard for a couple of weeks and once I started it up again and it updated itself that's when the fun began.

I've seen places on-line selling Genuine activation codes,would I be able to buy one and reinstall using the disc I have or is the disc as dodgy as the activation code I received?

Really don't want to have fork out €100 odd for a new copy of windows 7.

cheers for all the help guys.

cheers for the response guys.

It came with a disc, it wasn't the holographic type that Microsoft use though, and an envelope saying that the activation code was inside and once opened it was non returnable. I know alarm bells should have started to ring when I saw the disc and to be honest I'm kicking myself for being so stupid but I suppose I'm gonna have to put it down as a lesson learned. plus I didn't think Amazon would let vendors sell dodgy goods through them.

It installed fine and took the activation code no problem, but like I said, I stuck it away in a cupboard for a couple of weeks and once I started it up again and it updated itself that's when the fun began.

I've seen places on-line selling Genuine activation codes,would I be able to buy one and reinstall using the disc I have or is the disc as dodgy as the activation code I received?

Really don't want to have fork out €100 odd for a new copy of windows 7.

cheers for all the help guys.

Amazon has a market similar to ebay, where sellers can buy and sell yeah you are running a non genuine Windows. Don't buy Windows unless you get the holographic sticker with key printed on, as they are 99% not genuine (resold MSDN codes is the most common form, they will activate ok, but only live as long as the persons MSDN account)

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

I would like to know where would be the best place to get a copy of windows 7. I want the retail version, NOT an upgrade, because currently I have a copy of windows xp, which is an upgrade version, and the last few times I had to install xp I had to dig out my old Windows 95 disc! (showing my age) Anyway, that's irrelevant :)

If you wanted a brand new copy of windows 7, for home use, to install on a freshly formatted hdd, and you wanted a physical thing in your hand to install from (dvd disc whatever), where would you buy?

foxinsocks wrote: »
    I would like to know where would be the best place to get a copy of windows 7. I want the retail version, NOT an upgrade, because currently I have a copy of windows xp, which is an upgrade version, and the last few times I had to install xp I had to dig out my old Windows 95 disc! (showing my age) Anyway, that's irrelevant :)

If you wanted a brand new copy of windows 7, for home use, to install on a freshly formatted hdd, and you wanted a physical thing in your hand to install from (dvd disc whatever), where would you buy?

Just get a OEM edition, not sure what would be the cheapest place to buy but the likes of www.scan.co.uk, www.elara.ie, www.komplett.ie, www.dabs.ie would stock it

Nick

Why should I just get the oem edition and not retail? Not trying to be smart here at all! I just don't properly understand the difference.

PS Sorry for the thread hijack!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 askitnice

OP you can just purchase a valid code direct from MS website, depending on the version anything from 100 - 200 and input it to your existing install.

You can download the ISO freely from MS downloads section, Burn it to disk and purchase and input code.

Buy the upgrade its cheaper and for xp you have to do clean install or vista you have the option.

http://www.microsoftstore.ie/shop/en-IE/Microsoft/Windows-7-Home-Premium-Upgrade

Cheers

foxinsocks wrote: »
    Why should I just get the oem edition and not retail? Not trying to be smart here at all! I just don't properly understand the difference.

PS Sorry for the thread hijack!

OEM is cheaper but it's tied to the motherboard. If the motherboard fails or is replaced then you can't legally reinstall it on another motherboard. You also can't do an upgrade from a previous version of Windows as it's only intended for new PCs so it's clean install only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

A similar thing happened to my father a few years ago when he bought a computer from someone with XP on. Connected it to the internet to find that it wasn't genuine. He bartered with Microsoft for a new copy of XP in exchange for the information of the person that he bought it off.
    Could try that. ;)

Thank you Karsini! Looking at prices online, its *roughly* 30-40% more expensive for retail vs oem... but I am likely to want to reinstall it, at least once (my motherboard is 4 years old, and I'm a gamer), so it seems to me that oem would be saving money now to have to spend quite a bit more later?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

kleefarr wrote: »
    A similar thing happened to my father a few years ago when he bought a computer from someone with XP on. Connected it to the internet to find that it wasn't genuine. He bartered with Microsoft for a new copy of XP in exchange for the information of the person that he bought it off.
    Could try that. ;)

that wont get you anywhere , all the people who sold it have to say is they sold it in good faith that they taught it was genuine ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

antocann wrote: »
    that wont get you anywhere , all the people who sold it have to say is they sold it in good faith that they taught it was genuine ,

Oh well. My father must have been an exception then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

If you know anyone in education there is that option. Software for students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

Oh well. My father must have been an exception then.

nope i think just bs to be honest , as it would of been a copy ox xp reisterd to sombody else if it was legal also so he wouldnt of got anything from microsoft

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

If you know anyone in education there is that option. Software for students.

Or Dreamspark if you're really lucky ;)

Like me :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Something i saw somewhere on a time limit between sale and install or what am i thinking of ....?

Could try that. ;)

To be honest I might give this a try, I'm well and truly pi**ed of that I was scammed. They was willing to screw me over so in my eyes they're fair game to be dobbed in. Although It didn't say genuine windows in his advert it didn't say any thing about it being a dodgy copy either. Cheers for the tip mate.

might try the software for students route aswell, cheers all for your help.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

antocann wrote: »
    nope i think just bs to be honest , as it would of been a copy ox xp reisterd to sombody else if it was legal also so he wouldnt of got anything from microsoft

Nope, microsoft came out and helped victims of counterfeited windows. They initially started with XP, but have done similar things with Vista and 7.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/118716/microsoft_will_replace_fake_copies_of_xp.html

• Advertisement

Sent the seller a friendly email, in a round about way told him that Microsoft would be getting a phone call soon if I didn't get a full refund. Got an email back apologising and blaming an 'admin' error for the wrong activation code and that the money was being transferred back in to my bank today.
    So all ended well. Lesson learned for sure.

Advertisement