Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any public toilets in Dublin City?

Options
  • 09-06-2012 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Walking around last night I was much in need of a pee and realised I couldn't recall the last time I noticed a public water closet anywhere in the city centre. What's the story? Are they just too much hassle? Are there some camouflaged in some way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

At night theres a portaloo outside Flannerys usually. Apart from that I don't think there is any.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

We need a major campaign to bring back public toilets.

I was in Poland recently, in Krakow, and there are loads of them. They are all attended and you have to pay a small fee. So what ? We need public toilets and it should be 2 euros to use them. That would make them more viable and it's a fair price.

We need them because tourists need them. We need them because WE need them. I believe lots of people go to town less because of their absence and more people would spend more time in town shopping etc if there were plenty of them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Hi George you in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I think the public toilets in Stephen's Green park are still operational.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Just get yourself a rota of acceptable pub/hotel/restaurant jacks at various locations around the city. I'm never more than 5 minutes walk from somewhere clean to take a dump. Also, keep the list to yourself...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Yeah but at 1am there aren't that many places you can visit and leave your leavings and leave without having to purchase something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

We can't have nice things in Dublin. For a host of reasons, many probably also responsible for the state of the boardwalk the second there's a bit of sun, and the city generally on a Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Piliger wrote: »
    We need public toilets and it should be 2 euros to use them. That would make them more viable and it's a fair price.
    Where are you living that a fair price to use the jacks is 2 feckin' euro?!?
    They'd wanna be some jacks for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

There used to be public toilets on Stephen's Green (Near where the Luas stop is now), College Green (opposite the hotel and underground), O'Connell Bridge (opposite the Fun Palace) and O'Connell Street (Underground near where the Spire is now). One of the things you learnt as a kid in the 70s/80s was to never go in any of them because of the perverts/peeping toms.

Toilets in Clerys were the answer and still are.

• Advertisement

That was because none of them were attended.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I too remember lots of public toilets in Dublin in the 80s and their subsequent closure. Didn't the city trial something like these a decade or two ago? They were quite good as they automatically cleaned themselves and the door opened after a set period of time.

2141048886_82fe0effb4.jpg

I moved out to Balbriggan last year and was shocked & surprised to discover that we have a functioning public toilet. Thank you Fingal County Council!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

I only saw one of those old underground public toilets for the first time last week, just beside Doyle's. I shuddered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

The problem with Hotels, Pubs and the like, is that they tend to be for customer use and you're likely to asked where you're going as soon as you start making your way for the Toilets.

I tend to use McDonalds, Ilac Centre and also, the IFI is a good spot when you're in or around Temple Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Polar101

Didn't the city trial something like these a decade or two ago? They were quite good as they automatically cleaned themselves and the door opened after a set period of time.

These have a tendency to get occupied by one customer for a longer period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

In amsterdam they come around with a truck and drop urinals around the busy parts. In dublin if you need a slash after the pubs you have to find an allyway.
    I only saw one of those old underground public toilets for the first time last week, just beside Doyle's. I shuddered.

There's a few of those around. Wonder what they're like inside now? Is there one on Kevin Street too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Public toilets on the continent work well because they have attendants. You drop 50c or so in a tray at the door and you are more or less guaranteed decent facilities in return.

Public toilets in Dublin were mostly unstaffed, and this led to undersirable consequences which in turn were used as excuses for shutting them down.

I would totally support a campaign to re-introduce public loos, but this time on continental lines, with attandants and a modest user charge. I happen to know that some Dublin City Councillors have been making noises on this subject.

In the meantime, if any pub staff try and stop me using their loo, I will certainly ask them what they expect me to do instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I was in Poland recently, in Krakow, and there are loads of them. They are all attended and you have to pay a small fee. So what ? We need public toilets and it should be 2 euros to use them. That would make them more viable and it's a fair price.

We need them because tourists need them. We need them because WE need them. I believe lots of people go to town less because of their absence and more people would spend more time in town shopping etc if there were plenty of them around.

Two euros to take a piss?

Aye, right you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭markpb

Paparazzo wrote: »
    In amsterdam they come around with a truck and drop urinals around the busy parts. In dublin if you need a slash after the pubs you have to find an allyway.

Not true - they drop portaloos for gents in the city centre every weekend. There's one outside BofI at College Green, not sure where the others are.
    Public toilets in Dublin were mostly unstaffed, and this led to undersirable consequences which in turn were used as excuses for shutting them down

The underground toilets on O'Connell St were partly-attended when they existed years ago.The attendant was behind a one way mirror so you didn't know if they were there or not. Not the most pleasant of jobs I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Fast food spots are handy for an ould p!ss, any time day or night.

I like finer establishments, such as hotel bars for my dumps though. Used the jacks downstairs in Bewleys on Grafton st. as my dump location for years.

I'd like to see more public toilets alright, there should be some around St. Stephens Green and O'Connell st. at the very least.

There's one like the picture above by Sandymount strand. Never used it, but been there for years. I think 50 cent is a reasonable price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Rasmus wrote: »
    I think the public toilets in Stephen's Green park are still operational.

Not so: the ones on the side of the Green near Grafton Street and near the Luas stop are definitely locked up.
    Don't know if there are any others in St Stephens Green.
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

There's one of those public toilets in Finglas village... you really don't want to use it though, I tried once when I was pregnant... I went to the pub across the road instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

whiplashed wrote: »
    The problem with Hotels, Pubs and the like, is that they tend to be for customer use and you're likely to asked where you're going as soon as you start making your way for the Toilets.

As long as you're reasonably well presented you can usually get to the jacks of The Shelbourne, Westbury etc at any time if you know where they are in advance and just walk straight through. Afaik pubs are legally obliged to allow you to use their facilities whether you're a customer or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

latenia wrote: »
    Afaik pubs are legally obliged to allow you to use their facilities whether you're a customer or not.

I very much doubt if that is the law. I have seen many pubs with "Toilets for Customers Only" signs in their windows.

Also I know of at least two restaurant/cafes in Dublin where you need a code number got from your till receipt in order to unlock their toilet. How mean is that!!
    My own policy is NEVER to patronise these places.

latenia wrote: »
    Afaik pubs are legally obliged to allow you to use their facilities whether you're a customer or not.

With respect ... I don't believe this is actually the case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Dirty old men wearing rain coats got the public toilets closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Burdock

FishBowel wrote: »

I'm not old !

FishBowel wrote: »

Indeed. In the modern age attended toilets are the only way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Prom already been said but that's a huge difference in spending a penny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Prob already been said but that's a huge difference in spending a penny.

Advertisement