Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you precache map tiles in Google Maps on iOS?

• 09-06-2012 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,489 ✭✭✭✭

I have an Android phone and an iTouch. A friend of mine who has an iPhone is going to Gdansk for the match on Thursday. He'd like some maps of Gdansk on his iPhone but doesn't fancy paying for data download when he's there.

I've shown him how I can pre-cache an area in Google Maps on the Android - you go to a spot in the country you're going to visit, press your finger on a spot in the middle of the area you'll be visiting, hold it for a second or so and a popup menu appears containing an option to pre-cache the area, you will then get a downloaded 10 kms x 10 kms square of maps centred on that spot. You can repeat the exercise and cache as much territory as your memory can hold.

Can you do this with Google Maps on iOS or is it a feature that Google have reserved exclusively for their own OS?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i suppose he could zoom in to the require level and do a screen shot, then its saved in his photo album?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,489 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

kceire wrote: »
    i suppose he could zoom in to the require level and do a screen shot, then its saved in his photo album?

Or he could draw a map of Gdansk on his hand. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Not in google maps. Search gdansk city guide in the app store. There are free apps with offline city maps.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Or download Galileo. Allows for offline maps

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

coylemj wrote: »
    Or he could draw a map of Gdansk on his hand. :(

that was going to be my next suggestion :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement