Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheat sheet

Options
  • 09-06-2012 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭

American but still handy
    rOSVK.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

That's very handy !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I have a sheet like that taped to the inside of one of my cupboard doors.
    After allllllllll the years of cooking I still need to check it for some measurements.
    Very handy thing to have :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Just to point out, the "olive oil" smoke point is misleading.

Virgin and Extra Virgin oils have a smoke point of 199c and 191c respectively, and are not really suitable for cooking at high heat.

Also, simmering a fish stock for more than 20 minutes will make the stock cloudy and bitter as the bones break down.
    45 minutes is far too long.

Otherwise, very good tips there.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Very handy, thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Gotta love where it says 1 gallon = 768 teaspoons!:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Onions in a béchamel? You need to mix the flour in off the heat as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Onions in a béchamel? You need to mix the flour in off the heat as well.

Onions in the sause is odd, but you can strain after, classically it's made with milk that has been infused with a clove studded onion and somtimes a bay leaf, I don't like this way as adding hot milk to a roux is more likely to cause lumps so you have to add a lot slower.

As for off the heat, not really needed.

I sweat some onions, pepper corns and bay in 50g of butter, add 50g of flour and stirr it untill it goes kinda sandy then add cold milk, slowly, but not as slowly as with hot milk. I strain out the onions/bay/peppercorns after.

Hot roux, cold liquid, no lumps.

Just make sure it's at medium/med-high and don't cook the roux too long or it will turn brown.

Advertisement