Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Group C (Irelands Group)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

I'm going to go with the all out crazy prediction that Spain are going to kill that team tonight. Zero sign of any tiredness/any of that crap during the Italy game. They created a good few chances and played pretty damn well vs a side that they always struggle against. Can just see them going out tonight to show other teams that they're still a force to be reckoned with and that they're still one of the favs to win the tournament.

Ireland 0 - 4 Spain

noodler wrote: »
    That is a bloody impressive table. My boards tables never come out as I want them to.

Use the table format like this:

x|y|z
    1|2|3
    4|5|6

x|y|z
    1|2|3
    4|5|6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I am going to put one point forward about the game.

Spain have to win. If they draw against us then they'll have to beat Croatia and that is a tougher task.

To this end, they may be going all out whereas we would be happy enough to take our chances of trying to beat Italy.

This may lead to then over committing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso and Busquets vs Whelan, Andrews, Duff and Cox/McGeady, can't see anything other than a 3 goal defeat at least. If Spain don't start with a striker and/or Pedro/Navas we've more of a chance of keeping it tight, but no matter what way I look at it I just can't see and Irish draw or victory. I suppose it's better to be going into these games with low expectations anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Since the start of € 2008, Spain have played 32 competitive internationals. They won 28 of those, drew 3(two of those they won in extra time or pens) and lost 1 game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I would never bet against Ireland.. ever (in saying that i very rarely bet)
    Something very wrong about betting against your team never mind country

Not really, it's quite logical. If Ireland lose, you have the fallback of a little cash. Saying that, I have an accumulator that relies on Spain to top the group, if Ireland get a result here I'll happily forgo that accie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Since the start of € 2008, Spain have played 32 competitive internationals. They won 28 of those, drew 3(two of those they won in extra time or pens) and lost 1 game.

Technically 2. The Confederation Cup counts as competitive and they lost a game there.

But yeah, they're 14-1-0 since losing to Switzerland. Not bad form at all.

In fairness, since 2008 we have only lost 2 competitive games!

3. (France, Russia , Croatia)

• Advertisement

Yeah but apart from this tournament it didn't involve any major championship games, obviously chances of losing against better teams is far higher which makes Spains record so special.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    3. (France, Russia , Croatia)

True, hasn;t suck in yet!

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Yeah but apart from this tournament it didn't involve any major championship games, obviously chances of losing against better teams is far higher which makes Spains record so special.

Also true.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Lads please think of this.............Spain are beatable. They may well be the world and european champs but we can still cause them problems. The centre of defence is their weak spot and Pique and Ramos in particular are capable of doing stupid things at times, anybody see Ramos' attempt to play the offside trap in the Italy game? Also when Italy got the ball out to the right side they caused Spain problems and got crosses in.

The Spanish are great when they are attacking in numbers but when a move breaks down they don't exactly sprint to get back in position. The quick closing down and chasing of the opponent was how Spain became champions, did we see this against Italy, no we saw a team who believe what they read about themselves. Now they are so good they don't even need to play with a striker.

If the rumours about the Irish line up are true then I would be confident we can trouble the Spanish. McGeady running at speed at Ramos and Pique is something they won't want. I do not see trap setting us up to put crosses in as the Spanish boys are probably that bit taller then the Irish lads. Keep the ball down, run at the Spanish and get them turned towards their own goal causing them to foul and make mistakes.

We are capable of playing well, remember France in Paris. If we are going to go out then at least give it a damn good go. Remember this could be the last major tournament that Given, Duff, Keane and Dunne will play in and they will give it everything. We have to believe and I for one know we can do it............c'mon Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

2-1 to Spain I reckon. Expect Ireland will show some fight and grab a consolation goal near the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

kakee wrote: »
    Lads please think of this.............Spain are beatable. They may well be the world and european champs but we can still cause them problems. The centre of defence is their weak spot and Pique and Ramos in particular are capable of doing stupid things at times, anybody see Ramos' attempt to play the offside trap in the Italy game? Also when Italy got the ball out to the right side they caused Spain problems and got crosses in.

The Spanish are great when they are attacking in numbers but when a move breaks down they don't exactly sprint to get back in position. The quick closing down and chasing of the opponent was how Spain became champions, did we see this against Italy, no we saw a team who believe what they read about themselves. Now they are so good they don't even need to play with a striker.

If the rumours about the Irish line up are true then I would be confident we can trouble the Spanish. McGeady running at speed at Ramos and Pique is something they won't want. I do not see trap setting us up to put crosses in as the Spanish boys are probably that bit taller then the Irish lads. Keep the ball down, run at the Spanish and get them turned towards their own goal causing them to foul and make mistakes.

We are capable of playing well, remember France in Paris. If we are going to go out then at least give it a damn good go. Remember this could be the last major tournament that Given, Duff, Keane and Dunne will play in and they will give it everything. We have to believe and I for one know we can do it............c'mon Ireland
    Everyone is beatable.Problem is Ireland won't beat them.I hoping for a draw but it seems unlikely

kakee wrote: »

Fair play for your optimism but I don't buy into this sort of stuff myself. I'm sure San Marino give it a damn good go every time they go out there but that's not going to do you any good when you come up against a well prepared team that's superior to you in every area.

This is just one occasion where we don't have what it takes to even compete, never mind nick a result against a better team. It's not even a case of their players are better than ours or that we're just little Ireland and they're mighty Spain. Personally I'm judging the two teams on their performances only. We've shown against several opponents now that we just don't have what it takes. I don't see why tonight should be any different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Fair play for your optimism but I don't buy into this sort of stuff myself. I'm sure San Marino give it a damn good go every time they go out there but that's not going to do you any good when you come up against a well prepared team that's superior to you in every area.

This is just one occasion where we don't have what it takes to even compete, never mind nick a result against a better team. It's not even a case of their players are better than ours or that we're just little Ireland and they're mighty Spain. Personally I'm judging the two teams on their performances only. We've shown against several opponents now that we just don't have what it takes. I don't see why tonight should be any different.

Almost did against us in fairness :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Italy haven't beaten Croatia since 1942.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Amazed at how quiet this thread is - there's more people talking about Harry fookin Redknapp than this. Only a few hours to go until Ireland's biggest game in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Where To wrote: »

And i hadn't had sex in 15 years till i lost my virginity.

I hate stats anything can happen on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Means nothing! Last meeting was six years ago...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

baraca wrote: »
    And i hadn't had sex in 15 years till i lost my virginity.

I hate stats anything can happen on the day.

15?

I+_50f389dbdda81cb58733dee7fa1bbd5c.jpg

Probably helps that Croatia didn't exist as an independent state 1943-1991.

Probably helps that Croatia didn't exist as an independent state 1943-1991.

Lol can't believe that didn't register when I read his post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

quarryman wrote: »
    Amazed at how quiet this thread is - there's more people talking about Harry fookin Redknapp than this. Only a few hours to go until Ireland's biggest game in years.

Why is it the biggest? Because they're playing the best team?

I'd have thought the biggest game would be the most important game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

SSN reporting gibson could start now?

Samich wrote: »

I'd have thought the biggest game would be the most important game.

It is the most important game too. Just because we haven't a chance in hell of winning it doesn't change that we're still mathematically in the tournament and playing the world/euro champs in a finals game in front of the watching world.

If we win or draw tonight you'll see the passive fans back on the threads I reckon bigging-up about how we're gonna beat Italy as they were before the tournament started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

SSN reporting gibson could start now?

Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't know anything and were just clutching at straws. Still hoping to see Walters start myself. Feel so strange waiting for this match, probably never had my head and my heart argue so much in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

I'm 99% sure we'll lose, but the 1% of hope is making me nervous about the game tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

No. Where did I say that? It's one of the biggest as defeat tonight means we have no chance to qualify and might result in our worst tournament performance ever. Who we are playing makes no difference to it's importance.

If we win or draw tonight you'll see the passive fans back on the threads I reckon bigging-up about how we're gonna beat Italy as they were before the tournament started.

Exactly. So many have vanished. They will all flood back if we get a point out of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

It is the most important game too. Just because we haven't a chance in hell of winning it doesn't change that we're still mathematically in the tournament and playing the world/euro champs in a finals game in front of the watching world.

I think the Croatia match was more important. Get a result last Sunday and we'd have had more chance of making it through

• Advertisement

I think the Croatia match was more important. Get a result last Sunday and we'd have had more chance of making it through

Yeah. That was the most important game. Now thanks to losing it this is now the most important game.

I was always slightly surprised that people thought Italy was ourbest chance of a win in this group. It was always Croatia for me!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I think we will lose tonight but I'm excited about the match regardless of the reault. Just hope we walk away with our heads held high and not a cricket type scoreline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Assuming we can only draw, we flat out need Italy to win, come on the Azzuri!!!!!!!!!

Mind you, if we win (yeah, ....i know :o) it doesnt really matter what happens!!! Croatia to win would be just fine!!! But a combination of Italy win and Ireland win and we'll be playing tippy-tappy all game knowing a draw takes us both through in final match* :)

* assuming a desperate Spain thump croatia to stand any chance at all

Yeah, but we didn't get a result so this match is now more important because of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Assuming we can only draw, we flat out need Italy to win, come on the Azzuri!!!!!!!!!

Mind you, if we win (yeah, ....i know :o) it doesnt really matter what happens!!! Croatia to win would be just fine!!! But a combination of Italy win and Ireland win and we'll be playing tippy-tappy all game knowing a draw takes us both through in final match* :)

* assuming a desperate Spain thump croatia to stand any chance at all

If Croatia decide to hammer Spain and Italy we will qualify on two points :D

Believe! haha

I was always slightly surprised that people thought Italy was ourbest chance of a win in this group. It was always Croatia for me!

Croatia had outplayed us in a recent friendly so we knew not to underestimate them.

By comparison Italy had poor form coming into the EC and had put three weak performances in against us vs Trap and it was thought that Trap 'had Prandelli's number' so so to speak.

Strange logic anyway. We drew three of the top10 teams in the world in our group. It's even worse than the group of death imho as these were three teams that were probably going give it a good go no matter what (as opposed to the self-impoding Dutch and the Dr. Jeckyl performances of Portugal.)

Italy XI: Buffon; Bonucci, De Rossi, Chiellini; Maggio, Marchisio, Pirlo, Thiago Motta, Giaccherini; Cassano, Balotelli.

Unchanged from last game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Gibson starting would make a ton of sense.

Glenn Whelan isn't an amazing defensive warrior or anything, and Gibson might actually relieve some pressure with his superior range of passing.

having said that, i still reckon Whelan will start.

man, imagine a win tonight. just imagine.

believe lads. you just damn well never, ever know.

• Advertisement

Croatia XI: Pletikosa, Srna, Corluka, Schildenfeld, Strinic, Rakitic, Modric, Vukojevic, Perisic, Jelavic, Mandzukic.

Looking forward to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I hope we do well tonight and end up with a respectful result , have a bad feeling about the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Sky Italia are posting these teams on their ticker.

spvire1.png
    spvire2.png

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

3543220271bb22a843e9aac4742119c1.png

"Nothing to lose".

Only losing out on going through to the next stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Totally unrelated to this evenings game, does anybody know what the worst beating a team has ever suffered in a European Championship Finals match? As I said totally unrelated to this evening's match. C'mon Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Nobody has been eliminated yet, have they? Hope we're not the first, but lose and we will be (Spain on 4, Italy on 4 if they win, Croatia 6 if they win) :(

Walters has to start. We wont have the ball up there very often so will need to make the most of it. Walters will be better against the Spanish defence than Doyle would be. I'd also start Gibson. He's one of the better passer's we have and we cant afford to be giving the ball away cheaply. It could be a while before we get it back!

Hopefully Spain go with no striker again today as they didnt look that dagerous against Italy until they changed things up in the second half.

I was hopeful against Croatia, thinking it was our best chance of getting something. As such it was very disheartening to be beaten so convincingly. Lower expectations now. A draw would be a great result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Sky Italia are posting these teams on their ticker.

spvire1.png
    spvire2.png

Would much prefer that to the team with Cox that is going around

Mon Italy.

Italy have played Croatia 6 times :D These guys in the studio are something else...

Renn wrote: »
    Italy have played Croatia 6 times :D These guys in the studio are something else...

What did they say?

Having problems with the RTE stream!

• Advertisement
Advertisement