Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Group C (Irelands Group)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Not looking forward to the Ireland'S PAIN game this evening. Hope they prove me and most others wrong.

I really hope the Cox rumours aren't true. Would much prefer to see Long start. Although in truth we're up against it no matter who starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Pighead wrote: »
    Totally unrelated to this evenings game, does anybody know what the worst beating a team has ever suffered in a European Championship Finals match? As I said totally unrelated to this evening's match. C'mon Ireland!

1984 fra 5-0 bel
    1984 den 5-0 yug
    2000 hol 6-1 yug
    2004 swe 5-0 bul

(lets not break that record tonight!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Pighead wrote: »
    Totally unrelated to this evenings game, does anybody know what the worst beating a team has ever suffered in a European Championship Finals match? As I said totally unrelated to this evening's match. C'mon Ireland!

Netherlands hosing Yugoslavia 6-1 in 2000 must be up there as one of the biggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Well if you're going to lose you may as well take a record with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

believe.jpg

Renn wrote: »

Nah, lets leave the record breaking to Northern Ireland if we can.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Might have been only a minute long each, but I really enjoyed those short compilations of Pirlo and Modric. Proper footballers Bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

fleetwood-mac-somebodys-gonna-get-their-head-kicked-in-tonight-immediate.jpg

believe.jpg

#2 in a series of meaningless attitudes / life-philosophies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Nobody has been eliminated yet, have they? Hope we're not the first, but lose and we will be (Spain on 4, Italy on 4 if they win, Croatia 6 if they win) :(

Walters has to start. We wont have the ball up there very often so will need to make the most of it. Walters will be better against the Spanish defence than Doyle would be. I'd also start Gibson. He's one of the better passer's we have and we cant afford to be giving the ball away cheaply. It could be a while before we get it back!

Hopefully Spain go with no striker again today as they didnt look that dagerous against Italy until they changed things up in the second half.

I was hopeful against Croatia, thinking it was our best chance of getting something. As such it was very disheartening to be beaten so convincingly. Lower expectations now. A draw would be a great result.

No striker, if played right and against the right opposition, is harder to play against than any strikers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Italy have played Croatia 6 times :D These guys in the studio are something else...

Eh, they have..??

Benimar wrote: »
    Eh, they have..??

They never said they only played them 6 times. That was my point. It was only 6 games. They were making it out to be a big deal when it's in fact the opposite.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    #2 in a series of meaningless attitudes / life-philosophies.

You lack the belief.

You lack the belief.

I believe Ireland will be slaughtered out there. That ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭briany

believe.jpg

Maybe Hector could stop by the Irish dressing room pre match and give a few words of encouragement to the lads, get them buoyed up.

Believe = "RAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

What result best suits us in the Italy/ Croatia game? a draw?

The best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Buffon is a great keeper, but a terrible singer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

DEVEREUX wrote: »

Italy win

• Advertisement

I believe Ireland will be slaughtered out there. That ok?

Croatia are doing the same to Italy as they did to us, pressing very high up the pitch. Worrying opening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Anyone having problems with the RTE stream?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Italy with some great chances so far.

Italy so strong. Pirlo so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

DEVEREUX wrote: »

Italy win to the max.

If Croatia get any more points, we're fairly ****ed unless we win both matches.

If Italy win, and we manage a draw against Spain, we go into the last day with:
    IR: 1, SP: 2, CR: 3, IT: 4

At that, it would mean Spain need to go for a win in the last game against Croatia, and if they win, and we beat Italy, us and Spain go through (as we'd have beaten Italy on the head to head).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Who we shouting for here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

So many empty seats! Ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

BKC wrote: »
    Anyone having problems with the RTE stream?

Yeah had problems with it yesterday too, think they are testing some HD thing out now of all times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Balotelli is as slow as a house.Absolutely no pace at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Who we shouting for here?

Has to be Italy

• Advertisement

Christ, Croatia looking dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Balotelli is as slow as a house.Absolutely no pace at all.

Thats probably because all the smoking he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Balotelli is one lazy Cnut

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Would a draw not make more sense? That leaves Italy with 2, meaning if we beat them, we leap frog them. If we draw vs Spain, and Croatia either draw or beat Spain the last game, we go through?

Or have Croatia win all 3, we can still go through based on the above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Italy win to the max.

If Croatia get any more points, we're fairly ****ed unless we win both matches.

If Italy win, and we manage a draw against Spain, we go into the last day with:
    IR: 1, SP: 2, CR: 3, IT: 4

At that, it would mean Spain need to go for a win in the last game against Croatia, and if they win, and we beat Italy, us and Spain go through (as we'd have beaten Italy on the head to head).

What is this head to head thing? If two teams are tied in the league, the team who bet the other goes ahead?

ollie1 wrote: »
    Thats probably because all the smoking he does.

Doesn't stop Ozil

shizz wrote: »
    What is this head to head thing? If two teams are tied in the league, the team who bet the other goes ahead?

Pretty much

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

That's true. So a draw would actually be a good result in this game. Leaves the last day open

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Doesn't stop Ozil

It does. At around the 70min mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

antodeco wrote: »
    That's true. So a draw would actually be a good result in this game. Leaves the last day open

No. Croatia would be on 4 points. We would have to win both games then (unless Spain draw v Ireland and Croatia). If we end up on same points as Croatia we are out.

• Advertisement

Would a draw not make more sense? That leaves Italy with 2, meaning if we beat them, we leap frog them. If we draw vs Spain, and Croatia either draw or beat Spain the last game, we go through?

Or have Croatia win all 3, we can still go through based on the above?

My priority is that if I'm banking on someone getting a desperately needed win in the last game, I'd put my money on Spain. Especially if Croatia win today, as Croatia would be guaranteed through, and would rest everyone against Spain. Spain would win, and we'd be out.

A draw today is a weird one. Puts Italy on 2 and Croatia on 4. As Croatia have us on head to head, they'd be ahead of us. Spain would go into the last day knowing a win gets them through, and again, I'd back them in that.

I think our best chance is the set of circumstances by which a Spanish win against Croatia is what we want, as I think this is the most likely result.

(Above statements are based on us getting a draw today and beating Italy, which I think is the best we can hope for).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Reports of monkey chants directed at Ballotelli from the Croatian fans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Rumours of monkey chants being aimed at Balotelli. Hopefully it's not true, but if it is I wonder what he'll do? They'd be best taking him off anyway cause he's not really up to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Pirlo still has it - what a class player!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Monkey chants from the Croat fans at Balotelli.

Already wanting Italy to win anyway, but I hope he scores too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

no it isn't because we will be relying on Spain to LOSE vs. Croatia. Spain ''will 'have to'' win to qualify which they surely will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Rumours of monkey chants being aimed at Balotelli. Hopefully it's not true, but if it is I wonder what he'll do? They'd be best taking him off anyway cause he's not really up to much.

Maybe it's the Italian fans then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

It feels like an Italy goal isn't far away.

Webb is ****ing terrible.

• Advertisement

Webb is ****ing terrible.

awful decision.

Advertisement