Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Group C (Irelands Group)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Italy more than fancy their chances of beating us looking at their finish to this game. Happy with a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Lads.Is it not head to head record if it finishes level on points??
    Unless Italy score,only a win will do us against Spain as finishing on 4 points Croatia would be ahead of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ARe the Dutch not gone?

Not mathetmatically. If Holland beat portugal, and Germany beat Denmark, 3 teams will be on the same points, and the head to heads would be even too (each would have beaten and lost to another), so that would come down to the goal difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Mars Bar wrote: »
    not mathematically. Neither will Ireland I think...

If they lose they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Last chance here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Unless Italy score,only a win will do us against Spain as finishing on 4 points Croatia would be ahead of us.

But we would finish ahead of spain if they fail to beat croatia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

So confusing. It's times like this when George Hamilton would come in handy!

We can draw with Spain

BUT

we'll be shouting for Croatia v Spain and hoping we beat Italy in that case

Or else a draw in the above game and we can edge Spain on goal difference if we beat Italy and draw with Spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Linesman on the far side has been terrible.

Not quite. But with this result, we need it to be us AND croatia who go through. So we'd have to beat Italy, and Spain, or else beat italy and draw Spain, with Spain getting beaten in the last game.

We'd be needing a lot of unlikely factors to take place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Think it goes on Goal difference. Otherwise Holland would already be out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Where To wrote: »
    Italy haven't beaten Croatia since 1942.
    BKC wrote: »
    Means nothing! Last meeting was six years ago...
    kitakyushu wrote: »
    Probably helps that Croatia didn't exist as an independent state 1943-1991.
    Italy still haven't beaten Croatia since 1942.

On the plus side, a win tonight and we just need a point against Italy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Where To wrote: »
    Italy still haven't beaten Croatia since 1942.

So lame :D

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Not quite. But with this result, we need it to be us AND croatia who go through. So we'd have to beat Italy, and Spain, or else beat italy and draw Spain, with Spain getting beaten in the last game.

We'd be needing a lot of unlikely factors to take place.

Spain won't need to be beaten in the last game. A draw will do us if we beat Italy.

Thats provided we draw tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

There seems to be some confusion among the commentators and here about what Ireland are going to have to do now, maybe some denial. On RTE 2 they are saying Ireland will be looking to draw and win their final two games.

To clarify: If Ireland draw and win their final two games they will definitely be out, unless Croatia beat Spain and there is at least a two goal margin in Ireland's favour in one of the results.

As unfair as it may seem in a tournament where Holland still have good chances of getting through after losing their first two games... if Ireland and Croatia are level on points then Croatia will get through based on that they beat Ireland. Because it's a tiebreak between the teams on equal points. Italy cannot get four now, and besides that Ireland will have to beat them.

In the highly unlikely even that Ireland beat Spain and draw with Italy, then Spain can still get through ahead of Ireland by beating Croatia in the final game.
    Jayob10 wrote: »
    Spain won't need to be beaten in the last game. A draw will do us if we beat Italy.

No it won't. :confused: Croatia will get through because having the same amount of points as us they will have beaten us in our game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

sdeire wrote: »
    But then we'll have 4 points, and so will Italy, with Spain having 5. Italy's GD is 3 better than ours, so that wouldn't work. We're not going to beat Italy by 4 goals.

We need this to be a draw, us to draw with Spain, and then we beat Italy and Croatia beat Spain. That's to go through with GD left aside. A big ask, but possible.

Alternatively, we beat Italy AND Spain. Again, a massive, massive ask.
    italy's goal difference is 2 better. But you're right of course. I didn't take GD into account.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

A draw might actually do.. :eek:

Croatia - 7pts
    Ireland - 4pts
    Spain - 2pts
    Italy - 2pts

There seems to be some confusion among the commentators about what Ireland are going to have to do now, maybe some denial. On RTE 2 they are saying Ireland will be looking to draw and win their final two games.

To clarify: If Ireland draw and win their final two games they will definitely be out, unless Croatia beat Spain and there is at least a two goal margin in Ireland's favour in one of the results.

As unfair as it may seem in a tournament where Holland still have good chances of getting through after losing their first two games... if Ireland and Croatia are level on points then Croatia will get through based on that they beat Ireland. Because it's a tiebreak between the teams on equal points. Italy cannot get four now, and besides that Ireland will have to beat them.

In the highly unlikely even that Ireland beat Spain and draw with Italy, then Spain can still get through ahead of Ireland by beating Croatia in the final game.

Thats incorrect. A spanish croatian draw would see us through.

Croatia 5
    Ireland 4
    Spain 3
    Italy 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Any idea on how to approach this game mentally from an Irish fans point of view?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

joe123 wrote: »

It's head to head. Holland are still in because if they beat Portugal and Germany beat Denmark then they'll be in a 3 way tie with Portugal and Denmark with each of them having 1 win and 1 loss from the head to head. So it goes to goal difference then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Its this simple - Ireland draw tonight, beat Italy. Spain fail to beat Croatia.
    Ireland and Croatia go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

joe123 wrote: »

It's H2H, but will be goal difference in that group as if Denmark, Portugal, and Holland all have 3 points in the end they will all be level on H2H.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Rules on qualification from group on Page 9 here:

http://www.uefa.com/multimediafiles/download/competitions/euro/91/87/57/918757_download.pdf

If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the
    following criteria are applied, in the order given; to determine the rankings:
    a) higher number of points obtained in the matches among the teams in question;
    b) superior goal difference in the matches among the teams in question (if more
    than two teams finish equal on points);
    c) higher number of goals scored in the matches among the teams in question (if
    more than two teams finish equal on points);
    d) superior goal difference in all the group matches;
    e) higher number of goals scored in all the group matches;
    f) position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system (see Annex I,
    paragraph 1.2.2);
    g) fair play conduct of the teams (final tournament);
    h) drawing of lots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

There seems to be some confusion among the commentators and here about what Ireland are going to have to do now, maybe some denial. On RTE 2 they are saying Ireland will be looking to draw and win their final two games.

No it won't. :confused: Croatia will get through because having the same amount of points as us they will have beaten us in our game.

but we can draw tonight ( lol ) and get through by beating Italy ( lol ) if Spain and Croatia draw. Croatia and ourselves would go through (lol with loads of ooo's in it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

dfx- wrote: »
    Ireland have to win their final two games, they can't finish ahead of Croatia with a draw, Eamon...

No, we can still get thru with 4. But it would require Croatia to beat/draw with Spain and take the group.

Its this simple - Ireland draw tonight, beat Italy. Spain fail to beat Croatia.
    Ireland and Croatia go through.

Also, hell to freeze over, and pigs to fly. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Jayob10 wrote: »

a draw in the spain and croatia game will do us you clown

Best thing to do is win both games:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Why is there no match thread?

• Advertisement

Imagine the emotions of reading through this thread in a few months/years! (especially if good things happen)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

If we draw tonight:
    We need to beat Italy and hope Spain don't win

If we win tonight:
    We need to draw or beat Italy and hope Spain don't win. Small chance we could still get through with a draw and a Spain win: ourselves, Spain and Croatia could end up tied on 4 points with goal difference deciding who gets eliminated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Anyone else feel like punching Craig Doyle?

but we can draw tonight ( lol ) and get through by beating Italy ( lol ) if Spain and Croatia draw. Croatia and ourselves would go through (lol with loads of ooo's in it)

And there's another possibility: we could beat both Spain and Italy and then we wouldn't have to depend on anyone's results. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Thats incorrect. A spanish croatian draw would see us through.

Croatia 5
    Ireland 4
    Spain 3
    Italy 2

1 Spain 7
    2 Italy 5
    3 Croatia 4
    4 Republic of Ireland 0

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

does anyone have the table done after the 1-1 draw tonight. I think its was a better result for us that they drew. But at the end of the day we have to get 4 points and that's us to beat the Italians. Pretty tricky but to say the least, but at least it will keep the tournament open till the last game if we don't lose tonight.

I think Spain will beat Croatia in their last game. If we draw tonight we will have done really well this tournament no matter how we get on with the Italians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Can't believe he keeps getting a show. All of them imaginatively called "Craig Doyle Live".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Watching on ITV? I'm sticking with the circus on RTE :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

usually reserved for big games only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Can't believe he keeps getting a show. All of them imaginatively called "Craig Doyle Live".

I'd never seen any of his shows before. I tuned in for the "interview" with Schillaci. What a fúcking joke that was.

• Advertisement

Samich wrote: »
    Watching on ITV? I'm sticking with the circus on RTE :)

I can get ITV HD on SKY for free but cant get RTE 2 HD which is a bit annoying. The picture is so much better but UK commentary is terrible.

aindriu80 wrote: »
    does anyone have the table done after the 1-1 draw tonight. I think its was a better result for us that they drew. But at the end of the day we have to get 4 points and that's us to beat the Italians. Pretty tricky but to say the least at least it will keep the tournament open till the last game if we don't lose tonight.

I think Spain will beat Croatia in their last game. If we draw tonight we would have done really well.

Unless we win tonight, the above bolded statements cant coexist unfortunately. A win for Spain after a draw tonight puts them on 5, and we'd be guaranteed out, only equal points to Croatia, but losing on head to head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

There's only about a 20% chance less of us winning against Italy as winning against Spain. We wouldn't beat Italy imo.

Unless we win tonight, the above bolded statements cant coexist unfortunately. A win for Spain after a draw tonight puts them on 5, and we'd be guaranteed out, only equal points to Croatia, but losing on head to head.

Well I was talking about the Croatia Italy 1-1 draw tonight. I think it was a better result for us tonight.

I can see Spain drawing with us tonight but not us drawing with Spain. they can afford to beat Croatia in their final game.

I think it may come down to our goal difference if we end up on 4 points. But i'm not at all sure ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Well I was talking about the Croatia Italy 1-1 draw tonight. I think it was a better result for us tonight.

I can see Spain drawing with us tonight but not us drawing with Spain. they can afford to beat Croatia in their final game.

I think it may come down to our goal difference if we end up on 4 points. But i'm not at all sure ?
    It doesn't come down to goal difference unless the head to head is level. Just to clarify :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

you don't have a clue mate. clearly an italian win was the best result tonight

does anyone have the table done after the 1-1 draw tonight. I think its was a better result for us that they drew. But at the end of the day we have to get 4 points and that's us to beat the Italians. Pretty tricky but to say the least, but at least it will keep the tournament open till the last game if we don't lose tonight.

No, it would be clearly better if Italy had won. Then if we drew Spain and beat Italy then it would depend on the Spain Croatia result. If:

1) Spain beat Croatia we would go head to head with Italy in points and be through with Spain.
    2) Spain lost to Croatia then the same, except we'd be through with Croatia and Spain would be out.
    3) Spain drew Croatia we would go head to head with both Italy and Croatia and Spain would be knocked out. Our 2 goal loss to Croatia might come back to haunt us then.

Since Spain are highly likely to beat Croatia it would have been by far the best result. As it is our chances are very low. Someone should have told me to cheer for Italy. :(

confused.

A draw in the croatia italy match means we need Spain to not beat Croatia.

Had Italy won, then we'd have been relying on Spain beating Croatia.

I would have preferred the latter, as I think Spain will beat Croatia.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I can get ITV HD on SKY for free but cant get RTE 2 HD which is a bit annoying. The picture is so much better but UK commentary is terrible.

It's on channel 294 for free if you have a skyhd box and no hd pack.

• Advertisement

Mendieta's penalty bounce must be avenged..

Advertisement