Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Group C (Irelands Group)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Kerr is insightful

91 minutes gone, the score 1-1

"I think this will end up a draw"

well thank you so much Brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Bloody suicide from Buffon there, no need to come so far off his line when he had two defenders backing him up. Good thing Torres was the one in possession! Beautiful from Marchisio at the other end, deserved better. My heart wants Italy to win but a draw is the best result for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Iniesta has played really well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Pure brilliance from Ineista.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

where they the spanish royals

No composure

Unusual from the Spanish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Jesus, ITV going to town on Torres any chance they get, the Torres of old this the Torres of old that,

I think he has been quite good since he came on, what Spain were missing in the first half, although the Italian defense are spent at this stage.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Soldado must have his head in his hands watching that numpty.

Thank fcuk I covered the bet, happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

excellent result in terms of irelands chances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Cassano, De Rossi and Iniesta were the best players out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Hugely enjoyable game and decent result for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Great game,Torres could have won it but bottled it.A win tonight and we are top of the group

-Ade- wrote: »
    Soldado must have his head in his hands watching that numpty.

Soldado, Llorente....................Raul :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Good result.

Very open game, it'll be interesting if Spain adopt this formation against Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Brilliant stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Torres is shíte.

Spain will regret not bringing Goldado.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

That'll do nicely !

kryogen wrote: »

As I said earlier, Toquero. I'd have more faith in him scoring which says it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

That was brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Comon Ireland . Squeaky bum time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

I thought a Spain win would have aided us better, if we assume that they'll finish first regardless of today's draw. Italy with zero points would have been great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

If those players were so good they would be starting, there's no point in everyone having a pop at Torres anytime he misses a chance, he's runs and positioning created a lot of opportunites for Spain when he came on. They looked a hell of a lot more threatening when he came on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Great game to watch. Italy were much better than I expected, unfortunately for Ireland.

PeterTwo wrote: »
    I thought a Spain win would have aided us better, if we assume that they'll finish first regardless of today's draw. Italy with zero points would have been great.

But you can no longer assume that they will finish first regardless of todays result, puts more pressure on them, that can only be a good thing imo

You want your opponents to get as few points as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Who needs strikers! :pac:

Iniesta MotM for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

PeterTwo wrote: »

Nope the risk was that whoever won would potentially go into their last game against Croatia with not giving a flying .
    You know how the last group games can go when both teams smell safety.

It's best we keep Croatia close and everything going to the last game, but if we can beat Croatia tonight then it's a massive boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Don't think a draw is great for Ireland tbh. Then again, I see them coming out of today's games (and all the games) with zero points.

leonidas83 wrote: »
    If those players were so good they would be starting, there's no point in everyone having a pop at Torres anytime he misses a chance, he's runs and positioning created a lot of opportunites for Spain when he came on. They looked a hell of a lot more threatening when he came on

Your logic is flawed, do I need to point out how?

Also

They looked more threatening mainly due to Navas more so, because he gave them a vertical threat, same as Torres.

The Italians tiring was a factor too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

G.K. wrote: »

Iniesta MotM for me.

I hope Trap doesn't take too much from the no strikers thing :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Iniesta MotM for me.

He was immense! I fear for our midfield!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Iniesta MotM for me.

Pirlo for me but Iniesta was very good too.

Leiva wrote: »
    Nope the risk was that whoever won would potentially go into their last game against Croatia with not giving a flying .
    You know how the last group games can go when both teams smell safety.

It's best we keep Croatia close and everything going to the last game, but if we can beat Croatia tonight then it's a massive boost.

I agree, if, and it is a massive if, we can beat Croatia we have a good chance of getting out of this group

Why do they keep saying if Italy were beaten they would be out of it?

They could still have easily beaten Croatia and ourselves ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Kone wrote: »

Iniesta MotM for me.

He was immense! I fear for our midfield!
    Whelan and Andrews are going torn apart. I just hope the humiliation isn't too great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Your logic is flawed, do I need to point out how?

Also

They looked more threatening mainly due to Navas more so, because he gave them a vertical threat, same as Torres.

The Italians tiring was a factor too

Your logic is flawed because one of the most decorated managers in the Spanish game disagrees with you, if Del Bosque thought any of those players were a better option, he would have gone with them, simple as that, ill trust his judgement over yours any day of the week

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Iniesta MotM for me.

By a very long distance, despite other players from both sides doing very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Thank my post if the last shight you did was wateryer than normal cos you're nervous cos of the game.

Your logic is flawed because one of the most decorated managers in the Spanish game disagrees with you, if Del Bosque thought any of those players were a better option, he would have gone with them, simple as that, ill trust his judgement over yours any day of the week

Thats nice.

However, I made no argument, I simply pointed out to you that saying that if any of those players were good enough/better they would have started/been playing, was wrong.

That is stupid.

Simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Ireland more positive than Spain 2 strikers-v- no strikers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

My mother just asked me who's playing! :eek:

• Advertisement

Is Del Bosque immune to criticism?

Oh and congrats to Torres for running around for a bit when Italian players were tiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Iniesta is imperious.

My mother just asked me who's playing! :eek:

Tell her it's London Red vs Stone Cold Steve Austin in the NBA Playoff Finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Torres wasn't as bad as everyone is making out, provided an alright outlet at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Excellent performance by the Italians, probably should have won the game too.

flyswatter wrote: »
    Torres wasn't as bad as everyone is making out, provided an alright outlet at least.

But an outlet to what?

He was disgraceful in front of goal, he was brought on to get a goal, he had chances and failed misreably, he cannot go uncriticized for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

But an outlet to what?

He was disgraceful in front of goal, he was brought on to get a goal, he had chances and failed misreably, he cannot go uncriticized for that.

He wasn't great obviously, but definitely not terrible by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Torres had a ****ing stinker tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Renn wrote: »
    Torres had a ****ing stinker tbh

not filling me with confidence for next season ... anyway Come on IReland !!

• Advertisement

flyswatter wrote: »
    He wasn't great obviously, but definitely not terrible by any means.

He was terrible in front of goal, thats really what it comes down to for a striker, he always tends to contribute well in for the team, he gives his all, I dont ever crticise him for effort, but he was terrible in front of goal, fluffing each chance he had.

End of the day his job is to score goals, he was brought on to get a winner, he wasted a number of very good chances that it is quite likely the other strikers in the squad and Soldado who missed out would have buried.

In terms of pure goalscoring form, Torres does not touch the other Spanish strikers and can't be relied upon at the moment to take chances.

Advertisement