Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cider tastes like vinegar

Options
  • 09-06-2012 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I just sampled my first attempt at brewing cider and it tastes like vinegar, I'm hoping it will get better though.

Used the Brewmaker Cider Deluxe kit, left in primary fermenter for about 10 days then moved to secondary for another 9 or 10 days, all the equipment was thoroughly cleaned and sterilised but I did find a fruit fly on the surface when I was starting to bottle it.

Bottled about a week ago now but I'm wondering if I should just throw it out now or is this normal and the taste will improve given time?

Thanks
    Al

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Hi Folks,

I just sampled my first attempt at brewing cider and it tastes like vinegar, I'm hoping it will get better though.

Used the Brewmaker Cider Deluxe kit, left in primary fermenter for about 10 days then moved to secondary for another 9 or 10 days, all the equipment was thoroughly cleaned and sterilised but I did find a fruit fly on the surface when I was starting to bottle it.

Bottled about a week ago now but I'm wondering if I should just throw it out now or is this normal and the taste will improve given time?

Thanks
    Al
    This happened to me with some beers and is the result of wild yeast or bacteria, I'd imagine the fly is your culprit, don't pour it out yet as it may improve but chances are you've got an infection. I think it happens to most sooner or later, just be more careful next time. Don't be discouraged either it'll all be worth it when a batch turns out.

Edit: put the bottles somewhere safe, bottle bombs can be caused by infected brew.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Nevermind home brew, this happens a lot in pubs! You take a gulp out of your pint and its like a pint of vinegar. I always wondered what caused it. Also, if you open a can and leave it for a day, same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

You could just leave it age and make some proper cider vinegar, rather than throwing it out.

Could also make for some interesting pickles.

I don't think there is anything you can do once it starts to taste vinegary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Woohoo! tasted a couple of bottles tonight and they tasted a lot better, with some luck they'll mature in to some yummy cider :)

I'm a novice in brewing but am surprised that it would start out with such a strong vinegar smell, ah well, it's all a learning experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Might have been just one dodgy bottle that got a secondary infection.

• Advertisement
Advertisement