Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Narrow Leaving Cert system

• 09-06-2012 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I am only really coming to terms with how unfair the Leaving Cert system is. Yesterday I caught a severe stomach bug and had to suffer through geography and maths on zero sleep and terrible dehydration. Have barely been able to study for next weeks exams today either because i am so tired and weak.

It literally disgusts me that I definitely wont get my first choice now because of this one illness. I repeated this year and worked my butt off to get medicine, no chance of that now though. I mean how can someone actually be expected to perform to their best in one specific two week period in June? Anything could happen, for example one girl i know, her father died during her leaving cert. How can you do your best under those circumstances.....

Please please please could someone wake up and realise that this system isnt working?? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

The Irish government will require another bail out if they attempt any reform.
    Do you want to wear tattered clothes and eat only soggy bread?!?!?!

For the foreseeable future the System will unfortunately remain the same.
    They should have it like the A-Levels - possible to take exams twice a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 iluvgreenday246

Yeah like in college where they have the repeat exams in august.... anything is better than the prospect of having to go through another year of school

reznov wrote: »
    eat only soggy bread?!?!?!

Dude did you not read my post?? stomach bug, feeling very nauseous, ssssssh on the soggy bread talk :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Yeah like in college where they have the repeat exams in august.... anything is better than the prospect of having to go through another year of school

that could work....but I have a feeling a lot of people would "fall sick...oh no what a shame"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Continuous assessment even would be better (: they were considering bringing it in, in a few years.. Think it's on hold atm (:

• Advertisement

HowAreWe wrote: »
    that could work....but I have a feeling a lot of people would "fall sick...oh no what a shame"

it could be so that you could only do repeat exams if you had a genuine reason eg death of a relative or sick note from a doctor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Just immitate the A Levels and it'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

For college this works as most of the time, you're not in competition for anything, you just need to pass to progress to the next year, and by doing so you're not affecting anyone else.

Wouldn't you be slightly annoyed if you had gotten the points you need in the June sitting, and then loads of people waltz in and do better than you in August after 2 extra months of study, and get the course instead of you?

Being sick is unfortunate but an extra year is not the end of the world, as bad as it seems now! Being sick in college and missing/failing exams can cost thousands if you ended up repeating a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CaoimheMj

The LC is definitely the most narrow system ever!
    Its a test to see how much information one's brain can retain before vomiting up a whole load of notes on the day. It most definitely has got to change to continuous assessments in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

CaoimheMj wrote: »
    The LC is definitely the most narrow system ever!
    Its a test to see how much information one's brain can retain before vomiting up a whole load of notes on the day. It most definitely has got to change to continuous assessments in the future!

it's a ridiculous system. Absolute sham !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

21800030.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

I kind of agree with Stalin above (not only because he's a tank in real life :p) but because you have two options: a) make threads bringing this to our attention b) get back to studying for your Maths Paper 2 and Irish Paper 1 and make the most of it.

Regarding your health, I had unbearable tonsillitis just a week before, but a painkiller tablet does wonders for a few hours. I'm not quite sure if it will work for stomach bugs but I'm sure there is some medicine that will enable you to drag yourself in and do the exam properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SazKav

Actually feel very sorry for you, maybe its not meant to be tho!? You should def repeat in August. You'll do unbelievable by then. They are thinking about changing the system btw... but they have been saying that for years!

That meme is gas too! ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I am only really coming to terms with how unfair the Leaving Cert system is. Yesterday I caught a severe stomach bug and had to suffer through geography and maths on zero sleep and terrible dehydration. Have barely been able to study for next weeks exams today either because i am so tired and weak.

It literally disgusts me that I definitely wont get my first choice now because of this one illness. I repeated this year and worked my butt off to get medicine, no chance of that now though. I mean how can someone actually be expected to perform to their best in one specific two week period in June? Anything could happen, for example one girl i know, her father died during her leaving cert. How can you do your best under those circumstances.....

Please please please could someone wake up and realise that this system isnt working?? :(
    It's unfair but that's an inherent problem with exams. The Leaving Cert is hardly that bad in comparison to other exams. The penalty for failing the LC is repeating the following year, hardly the end of the world.

Case in point:
    Imagine you're already in medical school and have reached your final year. You fall ill on the morning of your first exam, don't do your best and fail.

If that happens, it'll all be over for you. There won't be an opportunity to repeat the exams and essentially the work you put in for the first 4/5 years of your life will go down the drain and you'll have nothing to show for it. In some colleges, you might not even be allowed to restart the course from first year again. It's a situation that has driven some people to suicide.

It's horrible and I have sympathy for you but this isn't necessarily an issue with the LC as much as it is with exams in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Kelix

I'm one of these people who never gets sick but since last week, I have a stomach bug and hay fever, so I'm tired, sick, sore stomach, itchy eyes, runny nose and have that horrible hay fever groggy head feeling and a HORRIFIC pain in my left ear. But I don't think it effects my exams, when your doing them you get in a zone and all that fades away. I haven't complained once because I honestly don't think being sick has an effect on your performance, unless you let it.

I think death in the immediate family is different though, I have no experience with that so I don't know how it would affect your performance...

Advertisement