Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UHF License Query

Options
  • 09-06-2012 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I am looking at purchasing two wouxun KG-UVD1P radio uhf/vhf radios for personal boating use. VHF for on the boat and UHF for off the boat. I am trying to find out if I need to apply to comreg for a uhf license as I already have a vhf short range certificate issued by the RYA when I did my vhf course back in 2004. The UHF frequency on the wouxun radios are 400 to 470MHz and the vhf frequency is 136 to 174MHz.

Thanks in advance.

Al.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Those radios are only legal on an Amateur Radio licence. They can't legally be used at all, even on VHF on Marine as they are not limited to transmission on Marine Radio channels.

Even on the Amateur licence they can only be used for transmit on 144MHz to 146MHz and 430MHz to 440MHz. In the UK they might not be legal on the basic Amateur licence but maybe on the full licence.

Amateur radio licence holders are the only people allowed to operate non-approved equipment. Broadcast, Marine, Aeronautical, CB, Fire/Garda/Ambulance, Security & Commercial Mobile and Military etc can only use "Approved for purpose" equipment. A CE mark isn't sufficient on its own.

Comreg will not authorise "dual use" equipment either. Thus a radio legal for Amateur radio that meets also PMR446 specs for power on 446MHz is illegal for transmission on 446MHz, similarly an Amateur Radio that covers the 10m band legally (28MHz to 29MHz) can only be used to listen to CB, even if it only does the "normal" CB power.

There are plenty of radios that "legally" include more frequencies on Transmit than an Radio Amateur is licensed to use.

Commercial PMR, Marine, Aeronautical, CB, PMR446, SRD430 and SRD864 devices are generally legal only as single use. The only exception I know (in UK) is a dual PMR446 and SRD864 radio. The SRD864 is so low power as to be like old toy 49Mhz walkie talkies and with PMR446 the spec is so limited that that are only useful in open terrain or for Chimney to Living Room, €200 models not much different to €30 models.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

watty wrote: »
    Those radios are only legal on an Amateur Radio licence. They can't legally be used at all, even on VHF on Marine as they are not limited to transmission on Marine Radio channels.

A Standard (yaesu) HX370S is not limited to Marine frequencies... lookie see here http://www.ruggedradios.com/PDF/Manuals/HX370S-Handheld-Radio-Manual.pdf "page 2" down the bottom.

TX range of a KGUVD1P can be limited via software http://bit.ly/Kru6qr and http://bit.ly/OQ50Rp

SW does exactly what it says on the tin. All you need is a programming cable which comes with the radio depending on which auction you choose.

From experience, the KGUVD1P is a great radio with many bells and whistle features. The one down side is that while both VFOs are enabled, it is not a true dual standby, ie, VFO B is disabled while VFO a is active.

I did an A/B comparision to an Icom M71 handheld and the Wouxun is so much better on RX and TX.

Belfast CG is a reasonable signal on the Wouxun compared to a miserable "back of the box" signal on the Icom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭The RF Tech Guy

That's a silly comparison to make. In fact its silly advice to give to anyone where SOLAS is concerned.

The Icom is an approved set and its filtering is appropriate to the maritime VHF service.

The Woxun doesn't have a Channel 16 button for easy access to the Distress and Calling channel, the Woxun isn't water resistant, the Icom comes as standard with larger mAh battery than the Woxun, the Icom comes with an optional 3 year warranty....

Watty gives sensible advice.

To the OP, for maritime use where Safety Of Life is dependant on communications (amongst other things...) get the approved equipment and the appropriate training and license.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

The Hobby Radio forum is becoming hard work, AGAIN.

Any size-able boat should have a fixed VHF set/deep cycle battery anyway and shouldn't solely rely on a handheld. They are relatively in-expensive considering it may save your life or someone else's life one day.

If the OP wants to buy an eBay radio, that's their choice. You're [the forum] not COMREG, even if some people think they are!

Advertisement