Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU VS UCD Business International

Options
  • 09-06-2012 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

so I'm currently doing my leaving cert and i know next week won't go so well for me! I'm doubtful of getting 470 points for international commerce in UCD -which my mind was set on (465 points),
    I'm after coming across a similar course in DCU -International Business for only 400 points im trying to figure out is there many major differences or reasons why UCD is so much higher? It's just puzzling

Thanks everyone in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Points are based solely on demand and available places. Not (necessarily) on the quality of the course.

UCD will just about always have higher points for similar courses in DCU (or UCC or NUI) as it's mostly considered a better college and more people would have that as first choice ahead of somewhere like DCU.

DCU is still a good college mind, but it just wouldn't have the same demand for places as UCD would.

In general terms, the "ranking" of colleges in Ireland would be (in order of demand) Trinity, UCD, UCC, NUI Galway, NUI Maynooth, DCU & UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I don't want to sound negative but first preferences for Commerce International rose 33% this year so could be quite an increase in points for said course. I have a friend in DCU Business International, I'm 100% sure but from what I've been told it sounds like a greater emphasis is placed on the language in comparison to Commerce International which IMO is benefit. AFAIK they spend 2 years abroad in comparison to UCD's 1 allowing greater progression in the language.

Generally speaking UCD is held in higher regard but this means little in the long run. A well rounded individual who works hard in both their academics and extra curricular activities (Socities, clubs etc) will stand a very good chance of getting a job regardless of what university they're in as long as they're doing a decent course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Emz93

RMD wrote: »
    I don't want to sound negative but first preferences for Commerce International rose 33% this year so could be quite an increase in points for said course.

I know this isn't really relevant, but do you think that they could rise over 500?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Sure my course, Econ and finance rose by 97 percent or something in 1st choice preferences.

It was at 480, with the 25 point increase in maths and increased demand it will go up to 540 points which I cannot possibly get, i am hoping and should get 510 but damn it!

If only I was poor and could apply for Hear......

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

I don't want to sound negative but first preferences for Commerce International rose 33% this year so could be quite an increase in points for said course.

where can you find the info on how many people apply for certain courses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

123 LC wrote: »
    where can you find the info on how many people apply for certain courses?

I'm not sure. This was a statistic provided by UCD about 2-3 months ago in an article on rise in applications and first preferences for UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

I'm not sure. This was a statistic provided by UCD about 2-3 months ago in an article on rise in applications and first preferences for UCD.

cool thanks. thats grand, i was looking into it in UCC anyway so hopefully not too many will apply :/

Advertisement