Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question about junior cert history.

Options
  • 09-06-2012 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Just roughly how much do you have to write for people in history or accounts. I've heard that it's about two marks per relevant historical fact but a people in history essay seems quite bare with only that many points.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭iliketwixbars

2creator wrote: »
    I've heard that it's about two marks per relevant historical fact

You've heard correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭IloveConverse

Depends on writing size.

I wrote about 2 A4's for each for my JC but you need to know them inside out. Best way to do this is to summarise each People in History into a word representing each paragraph, and then make a word from the first letters in these.

Keep away from jargon, waffling etc.

Good luck!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I've seen answers less than one page that scored full marks.
    Keep away from waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭thecrammer

Yes, 2 marks per relevant historical fact is correct.
    People in Histories are marked with SRS. So one concise, historical, relevant fact gets 2 marks. If the fact isn't relevant to the title of the people in history, or is not very well-developed, it might only get half an SRS.
    For example:
    "Martin Luther was born in 1483." = Half an SRS (one mark)
    "Martin Luther was born in 1493, in Saxony, Germany" = 2 SRS (2 marks)
    You're supposed to half 8 facts, but it is recommended that you write 10 just to be safe. For each of your 8 facts you should get an SRS - which is 16 points altogether.

At the end, you are awarded 1-4 marks, depending on how well your essay is structured/written.
    This is important - I think if you just write down 8/10 facts and leave it at that, you won't get these 4 extra marks. DON'T RAMBLE - but make sure everything fits together nicely, flesh out one or two of your points, paragraphs, write things chronologically. Doesn't have to be perfect like an english essay or whatever though. It should be about one page long :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭The House Of Wolves

Don't take this as sure, but during my mock I wrote just over 3/4 page on Da Vinci and I got 17/20, which is decent considering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭2creator

Ok, tanks all. But for accounts, eg a ten marker, how long should that be with how many historical facts?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sarahmg908

How many points do I need to write for a 14 mark question?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

sarahmg908 wrote: »
    How many points do I need to write for a 14 mark question?

Check the marking scheme - it will tell you how many SRSs you need and how many marks are for an 'overall mark'.
    An SRS is a Significant Relevant Statement.

Can't think of any History qs that would be worth 14 - the closest would be part C of the people in History which is sometimes marked out of 12 and would have been marked 10+2 (5 SRSs for 10 marks, plus 2 possible marks for the overall score).

If you can give an example from a past paper we can check the marking scheme.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Man City 10

spurious wrote: »
    I've seen answers less than one page that scored full marks.
    Keep away from waffle.

What you mean by waffle
    Could you give an example ?
    Thanks

Check the marking scheme - it will tell you how many SRSs you need and how many marks are for an 'overall mark'.
    An SRS is a Significant Relevant Statement.

Can't think of any History qs that would be worth 14 - the closest would be part C of the people in History which is sometimes marked out of 12 and would have been marked 10+2 (5 SRSs for 10 marks, plus 2 possible marks for the overall score).

If you can give an example from a past paper we can check the marking scheme.

it's D part (iv) in question 6, 2004

• Advertisement

What you mean by waffle
    Could you give an example ?
    Thanks

Leonardo was a painter in Italy. He painted the Mona Lisa. HIS PAINTINGS ARE VERY BEAUTIFUL AND PROBABLY WORTH LOADS OF MONEY BECAUSE THEY ARE OLD AND HE IS SO FAMOUS. He used a new way of painting called sfumato. He also had notebooks with pictures of helicopters in them.

Waffle in capitals.

sarahmg908 wrote: »
    it's D part (iv) in question 6, 2004

The marking scheme says:
    Mark on SRS principle.
    Max CM = 12 M Max OM = 2M
    OM : 2M = very good / good; 1M = fair / poor; 0 M = very poor.

So, 6 SRSs at 2 marks each and then there are 2 marks for an overall mark.

The marking scheme says:
    Mark on SRS principle.
    Max CM = 12 M Max OM = 2M
    OM : 2M = very good / good; 1M = fair / poor; 0 M = very poor.

So, 6 SRSs at 2 marks each and then there are 2 marks for an overall mark.

Oh ok thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I've wrote answers less than a page and got 20/20 for them. 1 fact + explain = 2marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

It depends on how many marks are going for it, and just focous on learning SRS and you should be fine, the examiner is only interested in facts not waffle.

Advertisement