Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Error Deleting/Renaming/Moving files

• 09-06-2012 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I am running windows 7 and I have encountered a problem numerous times where windows claims that my files are in use by windows explorer when I try to rename, delete or cut and paste a file. I have only experienced this when on .mkv files and even then it doesnt apply to all mkv files only some of them. I have tried made it so that all files are icons and not thumbnails and that hasn't helped at all! I also downloaded a piece of freeware called "lockhunter" when I run it it claims to have unlocked the file but I am still unable to do anything with it. As far as I can tell i dont have a virus as I run a scan twice a week and then i ran one again yesterday just too be sure.

Any ideas what to do try and fix it, its a bit of a pain having about 10GB tied up in files that can't be gotten rid of.

Here's a screen grab of the error I get

error.png

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Are the files being shared across the network?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

How do I check that? I am not connected to any networks bar my internet connection and its not sharing it across that to the best of my knowledge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I usually kill explorer.exe from TaskManager/Pricess Explorer when this happens and start it up again (File-»Run).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sounds like it might be something trying, but failing somehow, to generate thumbnails maybe?

A bootable Linux distro on a CD or USB memory stick would get rid of them in no time if you feel comfortable with something like that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if you haven't done any of the following to close background files try them
    - log out and in again
    - reboot
    - reboot into safe mode

check your anti-virus just in case it's quarantined the file or somesuch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

NOt comfortable using linux at all really, I tried disabling thumbnails and that hasn't helped. I tried running in safe mode but still nothing.

brownacid wrote: »
    NOt comfortable using linux at all really, I tried disabling thumbnails and that hasn't helped. I tried running in safe mode but still nothing.
    What about safe mode in command-line mode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

I have seen something similar to this before, and I think Alun is right, it might belinked to the view of the files you are using. If I recall correctly, if you change to details or list view, you should be able to delete the file.
    The problem was rife on one of my old PCs, win NT if I remember, and theres a program I sometimes use, unlocker, which frees up file locks. http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Unlocker.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I'm tellin ya, kill explorer.exe and restart it, and delete the file then, no need for fancy programs!

Ctrl+Alt+Delete, find Explorer.exe -> End process
    File->Run, type in explorer.exe, hit enter, then delete your file.

BopNiblets wrote: »
    I'm tellin ya, kill explorer.exe and restart it, and delete the file then, no need for fancy programs!

Ctrl+Alt+Delete, find Explorer.exe -> End process
    File->Run, type in explorer.exe, hit enter, then delete your file.
    Doesn't always work I'm afraid. If explorer is opening the file in the background, to generate thumbnails for example, it'll do exactly the same when it's restarted the moment you open the folder they're in.

I'm still sure it's down to either some misbehaving shell extension or thumbnailing add-on that was installed with a codec pack or such like.

I still reckon start up in safe mode at the command prompt, and cut explorer and any misbehaving extensions out of the equation altogether is the best bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

did you copy the file(s) already? can you open them and use them files?
    using unlocker is handy but doesn't identify the problem if you keep getting it. possible if you cant open the file that it may be you have a corrupt MFT on that drive. happened me a few times on an external drive.

Advertisement