Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Call to prayer question

• 09-06-2012 7:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in a Muslim country at the moment and my hotel room is about 50 metres from the mosque so I'm in a good position to hear it and quite like it. I was wondering though if the call to prayer differs between mosques at all or if it's a uniform thing?

Slight aside: Am I allowed to visit the mosque?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭blackthorn

All Sunni mosques would have the same adhan (call to prayer) which differs slightly from Shia adhan.

In my book, your liking of the adhan and your desire to visit constitute a gentle invitation from the Most Gracious to visit the mosque.

Yes you are allowed to go. Please don't wear shorts! People are welcoming, you'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

How long are you in said country. After a while the call to prayer becomes the most annoying thing in the world. Some mosques fire them off at all hours :P

Generally you should be ok as long as you're respectful. If no one reminds you don't forget to take your shoes off before entering. Depending on where you are in the world a lot of them on the inside are actually quite simple and boring from a tourist perspective. Nothing like christian and in particular old orthodox christian churches with all the bling and icons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'll be here another two weeks. Been here about 9 days already. Yeah, I get woken very early by it (like 4am I think) and it happens a few times throughout the day. I just listen to it then drift back to sleep. On Friday they have the whole mass going on through the loud speaker. I just stuck on some earphones for that - it's quite loud in my room because of my proximity to the mosque. Not bothered in the slightest, nor do I think I will be by the time I leave. I think it would sound a bit nicer if they had a lady do it every once in a while for the softer voice (I think it could really benefit from that), but I'm guessing that's not a runner in a Muslim country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

The person who calls to prayer is known as the mu'adhdhin (Arabic) or muezzin (Turkish) - the latter word is most commonly used by English-speakers. Traditionally, the position of muezzin went to someone with a loud, clear and melodious voice, as there was no amplification available until the 20th century. The first muezzin was Bilal, an Ethiopian slave with a particularly penetrating voice.

The adhan (in Turkish and some other languages this is written as azan) provides an opportunity for very elaborate and ornamented recitation as well as quite plain declamation. Here's a good example by the Turkish muezzin Mustafa Özcan (the YouTube video shows a wide range of mosques from around the world):

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Khannie wrote: »
    Slight aside: Am I allowed to visit the mosque?

Absolutely and I would really encourage you to go if you can. I have been to my local mosque a few times (it still feels weird saying "my local mosque" :D) and every single time I was warmly welcomed and shown around. And what I found was that there was nothing I couldn't ask - I questioned them on everything, women's place in Islam, the difference between Sunni and Shia, even a few clangers on extremism. All handled with grace, no offence and honesty.
    After a while the call to prayer becomes the most annoying thing in the world.

I would say the opposite. I hardly even notice it now.
    Generally you should be ok as long as you're respectful. If no one reminds you don't forget to take your shoes off before entering. Depending on where you are in the world a lot of them on the inside are actually quite simple and boring from a tourist perspective.

While I would certainly agree with being courteous and respectful, I would say don't do what I did the first time I went in - being apprehensive and with a hint of trepidation. Jump at the opportunity, get plenty of questions ready and enjoy the experience.

• Advertisement
Advertisement