Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is everything REALLY that bad?

• 09-06-2012 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭

Now, I know that past few days have been hard, but is everyone totally hopeless about their LC and the results now? I mean, all these threads, everyones angry! Is there anyone who is HAPPY?! Personally, its not anything more than I expected. The Geography threw a few curveballs, yeah, but after reading lots (my eyes are sore and i haven't studied :P ) can anyone tell me that they're happy? Like, that they're still reasonably confident about getting places they want? Some optimism? just a little bit even?? :o

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's not over til it's over.
    Flapping about possible results until they come out is kind of pointless.

The sun is finally out, most of you are young, there are other things to do in life.
    Go do naughty things with girls/boys. The Leaving will be there for another day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I would've been delighted if geography went well for me.. Pretty much just left me fearing the rest of these exams will be the same. Wouldn't say it's really bad, just getting incredibly specific with the questions and such, you really can't afford to leave much out and that just puts more pressure on you with 7 subjects at higher level.. /:
    And I'm not confident at all with getting the course I want, as I said geography was a subject that I should have done well in and got the points for :L I've only done that and English and English was fine.. So I probably have a bit of hope yet :/

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Epsi

Haven't found it too bad. I was caught out in English (like a lot of people) but English was never my strong point. Enjoyed the maths paper immensely yesterday and geography was good. Hoping for a good and easy paper 2 on Monday to pick up an A2 in higher level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

So far for me things have been going well, funnily enough I haven't put much effort into 6th year so this pleases me. It's gonna backfire on me with Biology though as I've never opened a book nor studied for it in 2 years and don't intend to.

With a bit of luck we'll all get our first choices!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

To be honest, I'm happy with how things are going. Yes of course there were some hard questions, but it is our leaving cert for Christsake! None of us expected it to be a cakewalk. But, to be honest, I'm very confident that I'll get my first choice and, this confidence (I wouldn't call it cockiness) is preventing me from worrying and allows me to work better.

All you need to do is have some confidence in your abilities and you'll be fine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

So I probably have a bit of hope yet :/

there is definitely!! :D Chin up it'll come through in the end! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Honestly, I was really happy with English Paper 2 but I could tell that there was a conscious effort to change the style of question from what I'm used to from 10+ years of exam papers, and this makes me nervous for other subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

AnnaKin wrote: »
    So I probably have a bit of hope yet :/

there is definitely!! :D Chin up it'll come through in the end! ;)

Haha maybe, I'm left with subjects I don't like :L awh sure, can always repeat for the 2nd time, no botherr.. :B

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭WestIRL

I seriously don't get what everyone is moaning about.

The two "big shocks" that have apparently ruined college hopes: Eng 2 and Geography.

Somehow I managed to avoid being disappointed by either, oh guess why?

I studied.

I studied not only Plath who was my favourite poet, but I learned quotes and general styles for all FIVE of my poets so I could not be caught out. And for geography I spent till 1am drinking coffee, learning off every single bit of the course, knowing that no matter what they asked I could answer it, as well as having a panic attack the next morning because I was so ****ing nervous.

It just really aggravates me that the same type of people complaining on here are the same people that spent hours on this forum trying to predict and gamble on everything in the hope of the lazy way out, when that time could have been used to memorise poetry quotes for example: like I did. Memorising all FIVE.

So just shut up everyone. It's not the SEC or the government, or your cat that you should be blaming. You knew the deal and you took the risks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

WestIRL wrote: »
    So just shut up everyone. It's not the SEC or the government, or your cat that you should be blaming. You knew the deal and you took the risks.

Your right. The cat is to blame for this.

• Advertisement

woooooooaaaaaaahh. Calm down! No anger here please just optimism! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

It just really aggravates me that the same type of people complaining on here are the same people that spent hours on this forum trying to predict and gamble on everything in the hope of the lazy way out, when that time could have been used to memorise poetry quotes for example: like I did. Memorising all FIVE.

Let's not turn this thread into the same arguments that have been going around for days.

The OP is asking what you're optimistic about, so let's keep it at that please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I agree in part, but is 'just shut up everyone'? Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

I seriously don't get what everyone is moaning about.

The two "big shocks" that have apparently ruined college hopes: Eng 2 and Geography.

Somehow I managed to avoid being disappointed by either, oh guess why?

I studied.

I studied not only Plath who was my favourite poet, but I learned quotes and general styles for all FIVE of my poets so I could not be caught out. And for geography I spent till 1am drinking coffee, learning off every single bit of the course, knowing that no matter what they asked I could answer it, as well as having a panic attack the next morning because I was so ****ing nervous.

. I agree with some of what you have said but I think you probably meant a better word than Memorising. You seem like you know the works but it's just so people don't associate you with one of those off-by-heart people.

Yeah I know what you guys are saying. Just its getting so annoying and everyday a new thread about how the examiners are !out to get them". JUST SO ANNOYING!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Well...I was disappointed with Geography as a whole :/ But,the exam was trickier than other years and I am happy with how I handled it :D

ChemHickey wrote: »
    . I agree with some of what you have said but I think you probably meant a better word than Memorising. You seem like you know the works but it's just so people don't associate you with one of those off-by-heart people.

Oh no no. I never once sat down and memorised an essay. Really I was just gethering up quotes that I could use to fill up a weak answer on a poet that I didn't like in a worst case scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Maths went horribly for me but I can't let one exam ruin my whole LC. Keep calm and carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Reventon93

I must be one of the very few in my whole school who felt that the exams wern't as bad as they could have been. I mean i'm not expecting much A's, if even any, but I am confident that I could get my B's. I even feel that this years papers were better than last year, then again I did terrible last year and then studied my ass of this year, and had to learn new courses, so to an extent people complaining about poetry is really annoying. I wasn't caught out, but I do sympathise with people who put the work in and for whatever reason it unfortunately went against them, many of my own class included, even though there was only 6 of us who constantly handed up work. I do think that the papers are weird this year but all we can do is wait and see what happens. I do think that there will be another few twists and turns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I've got B's so far I assume, I think my chances of A's were prevented due to difficult papers as well as my own errors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

I'm happy so far! Home ec was a bit wishy-washy but it could have gone a lot worse seeing as I have completely neglected it. I'm not one bit disappointed with any exam so far. May be a different story after Maths paper 2!

This is good to see thank you guys!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

I think my LC is going well. The only slightly annoying me is that if I just miss out on my A1 in Geography that's 10 fucking points gone! But still I couldn't be bothered fretting over it sure I'll only see in August. :)
    And ohmygod that Maths Paper 1 really went for me :L As did English I thought!

But the best thing yet is.. I did well in English which means I don't have to do as well in Irish! :D Them Pros and Poetry can fuck off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I think it's been grand so far. I'd be delighted if I wasn't certain I did better in English last year, but I didn't see anything particularly hard about the exams. :) If anything, English Paper 1 was a little harder than the second one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I'm so scared for maths paper 2. I did horribly in Paper 1.
    I hate project maths with a passion now :L Since Paper 1 was so hard it's making me think that Paper 2 will be just as bad :L I need a C3 minimum and i really can't see it happening unless i know everything on Paper 2 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Trying to be optimistic about maths paper 2. I could still get the grade I want, so I'm trying to make sure I know EVERYTHING so I can't be caught out. I was quite unhappy with paper 1 but there is hope yet! I will be very upset if paper 2 is horrible, but there's no point in worrying about it.

English wasn't bad at all, I got a bit caught out on poetry but comparative and Hamlet really went my way. I am slightly hoping for an A as so many people hated the paper and they might mark easier, but a B1 wouldn't be bad at all, even if it's a big drop from the mock. I'm very optimistic about German, and hopefully the three sciences will go my way too! I think I actually tend to know the more difficult/obscure things better than the "easy" ones, so if they make the papers less predictable it might even work in my favour. Fingers crossed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

spurious wrote: »
    It's not over til it's over.
    Flapping about possible results until they come out is kind of pointless.

The sun is finally out, most of you are young, there are other things to do in life.
    Go do naughty things with girls/boys. The Leaving will be there for another day.

fuaaarrrkk well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 flerg

AnnaKin wrote: »
    Now, I know that past few days have been hard, but is everyone totally hopeless about their LC and the results now? I mean, all these threads, everyones angry! Is there anyone who is HAPPY?! Personally, its not anything more than I expected. The Geography threw a few curveballs, yeah, but after reading lots (my eyes are sore and i haven't studied :P ) can anyone tell me that they're happy? Like, that they're still reasonably confident about getting places they want? Some optimism? just a little bit even?? :o

Nice post!
    I am very happy. It's only a flipping exam, important to have some perspective. Eat well sleep well do your best, everything will go on regardless. Count the blessings!!
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

I'm happy with most of my exams. :D
    Maths Paper 1 was crap. I only stayed an hour and didn't get a single c part right and got most b parts only half right. It was only OL as well. :o Ah well, can't be good at everything right?
    Geography and English went really well for me. I'm not an A student in either, but I think I might be able to get Bs in them because of everyone else finding them difficult. (GWAN BELL CURVE, YOU LEGEND)

All in all I was never the best when it came to exam. Always had difficulty putting all I knew to paper in a short time constraint. I've worked though, so I'm really hoping I get what I want.

And if not, I'm taking a year out and having a nice break, doing things that I want to do and the likes. Come at me clarinet grade 5! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 flerg

:D Great attitude.
    Maths went horribly for me but I can't let one exam ruin my whole LC. Keep calm and carry on.

Advertisement