Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russian Fans Beating UEFA Stewarts

• 09-06-2012 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭

http://youtu.be/QBxzbx2D22M

Unreal stuff.

This is the type of incident that should get a team kicked out of the tournament.

Harsh, but what other proportional punishment can be used?

I haven't seen this on any of the British or Irish news mediums so far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

noodler wrote: »

Unreal stuff.

This is the type of incident that should get a team kicked out of the tournament.

Was on sky for a minute or two earlier, banning the team is a bit OTT

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Irishvillian

It was on sky sports news earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Soups123 wrote: »

Sorry, didn't see it on Sky.

Banning the team is unfair on the team itself obviously but I really can't see an effective alternative.

Four stewards hospitalised.

Maybe I am letting the shock of the pictures sway me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Unreal stuff.

Banning Platini and Blatter from running football would be more effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Nasty incident. Could be some real issues there yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Where are the police? Surely its not just left to a few stewards in those areas behind the stands? Potential for real violence if so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

They should castrate the bastards.

Its sickening. Kicking the guy wearing the orange bib in the head on the ground.

Could have killed him.

Don't see why its OTT to punish the team for the supporters behaviour. Maybe then the FA would make a bigger effort to make sure these idiots don't get tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

kicking them out is really the only option. yeah it's harsh, but what else could be done? you can't have no sanctions, and even though it's clearly only a minority, it can't be tolerated at all, and kicking them out would absolutely send a message

Sorry, didn't see it on Sky.

Banning the team is unfair on the team itself obviously but I really can't see an affective alternative.

Four stewards hospitalised.

Maybe I am letting the shock of the pictures sway me at the moment.
    It's discusting and agree it shouldn't be let go the bastards should be caught and imprisoned shouldn't be hard to find them good quality video. Atleast a couple of fans had the balls to step in and halt it.

Worrying sight was lack of security where the f*uck were they???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

You can take the World Cup off them for a start!!

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    You can take the World Cup off them for a start!!

who's the backup for 2018?

Helix wrote: »
    kicking them out is really the only option. yeah it's harsh, but what else could be done? you can't have no sanctions, and even though it's clearly only a minority, it can't be tolerated at all, and kicking them out would absolutely send a message
    Kicking out is too harsh sure I could stick on an England jersey and get a group of 10 in with me and have them kicked out of every major tournament, ban the fans not the players

Kicking out is too harsh sure I could stick on an England jersey and get a group of 10 in with me and have them kicked out of every major tournament, ban the fans not the players

would be virtually impossible to stop their fans going to their team's games though. ban the team and they've nobody to follow

would be virtually impossible to stop their fans going to their team's games though. ban the team and they've nobody to follow
    I meant as in don't allow them in the stadium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

you cant throw a team out for the actions of a small number of fans !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

No racist chanting so all is well.... :rolleyes:

I agree with banning their national team. Fines are no deterrent too these type of people or the FA's that handout the tickets too these people. Shameful stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Catch them, take their passports off them, don't allow people in stadiums without passports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

who's the backup for 2018?

Whoever was in the running for it along with Russia!! I know it's not really going to happen. It's just disgusting to see that kind of thing. They won four one as well!! :confused:

i know what you meant, but how do you stop them from getting in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Ah new age football fans. Kick a team out of a competition over the misbehaviour of a small group of supporters? :o

This kind of thing has been present in nearly every major tournament for decades, the difference is we now have the technology to view these small scale incidents.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

That's disgusting, they're unarmed stewards. I think if a Czech person stuck on a Russian shirt, someone would notice they're not Russian, just like if a French person stuck on an Irish shirt, you'd notice the accent isn't quite right. Deduct Russia three points for the WC qualifiers, name and shame those who caused this.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

gilmour wrote: »
    Ah new age football fans. Kick a team out of a competition over the misbehaviour of a small group of supporters? :o

This kind of thing has been present in nearly every major tournament for decades, the difference is we now have the technology to view these small scale incidents.

I knew somebody would eventually pipe in with the obligatory "ah sure this happens all the time".

I remember plenty of incidents at tournaments over the years when fans clash with other fans or with police. I disagree that groups of football fans hospitalising unarmed and isolated stewards is a regular occurance.

i know what you meant, but how do you stop them from getting in?
    3 Strikes rule, if your fans commit 3 significant incidences during the tournament there is no ticket allocation to ur fans for next tournament / qualifying campaign. They soon put greater control over who gets ticket. Every ticket should contain ur passport number and both should be with you at game

Yet clubs and FA's get fined a few thousand euro because of a few. What is the difference?

Everyone wants this type off behaviour ^^^ and racist chanting not too be associated with football so why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

I knew somebody would eventually pipe in with the obligatory "ah sure this happens all the time".

I remember plenty of incidents at tournaments over the years when fans clash with other fans or with police. I disagree that groups of football fans hospitalising unarmed and isolated stewards is a regular occurance.

so fan on fan or fan on police violence is OK?

Football whether it be international or club will always have a mob/tribal mentality, add alcohol to that and you're always going to get these incidents. The only solution to stopping such things is actually to ban supporters full stop, any talk of deducting teams points or kicking out of a tournament is pure Daily Mail tripe.

gilmour wrote: »
    so fan on fan or fan on police violence is OK?

Why are you asking if it is OK?

What isn't OK is dismissing the hospitalisation of stewards as some sort of everyday occurance.

Check out the kicks at 0.24.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

the deterrent has to lie with the responsible FA ... otherwise they will never do anything of meaning to stamp it out (or at the very least find and ban those responsible). I agree with kicking the team out.

3 Strikes rule, if your fans commit 3 significant incidences during the tournament there is no ticket allocation to ur fans for next tournament / qualifying campaign. They soon put greater control over who gets ticket. Every ticket should contain ur passport number and both should be with you at game

give them 3 chances? seriously?

balls to that. they should get no chances

this isnt something that happened outside the stadium or anything, it was at a match ffs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The incident is small in itself, a minor issue.

But there's Poland v Russia coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

This will end well :rolleyes:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/soccer/wires/06/08/2080.ap.soc.euro.2012.russian.march.1st.ld.writethru.0246/index.html
    Warsaw city officials said Friday they will grant an informal request by Russia fans for "assistance'' during a planned march to the team's Euro 2012 game against co-host Poland on Russia's national holiday next week.

Warsaw Mayor Hanna Gronkiewicz-Waltz said she has received a letter from Russian fans who want to march from the city to the National Stadium for Tuesday's match in Group A.

Gronkiewicz-Waltz said she will meet their representatives on Saturday to discuss how to best meet the fans' request.

Ewa Gawor, head of the city's security forces, said the letter asked for "assistance while Russian fans with tickets walk to the National Stadium.''

Without specifying the kind of assistance, Gawor said:"We will grant that request.''

The fans said in the letter that it was their tradition to hold marches during Euro games, Gawor said.

Emotions are expected to run high during the match, and not only because of the sporting stakes.

Poland and Russia have a long history of troubled relations, including four decades of Soviet Union dominance under communism that was overthrown in Poland in 1989.

However, June 12 marks the day in 1990 when Russian lawmakers declared independence from the Soviet Union, by giving supremacy to Russian laws over the Soviet legislation.

Poland Prime Minister Donald Tusk said Thursday he would encourage Poles to march together with the Russians, to celebrate the day that "finally buried the Soviet Union.''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

the team should be thrown out of the tournament. It all kicked off in the stadium, the only way to stop this is to punish the teams, nothing else seems to work. it might send out a message that this sort of thing will not be put up with.

give them 3 chances? seriously?

balls to that. they should get no chances

this isnt something that happened outside the stadium or anything, it was at a match ffs
    Your talking about 50000 + people coming together there is bound to be atleast 100 assholes. TBH what happened was **** but I wouldn't say it even registers in the worst 10000 incidents of football related violence over time. It wud be ridiculous to punish the team for what happened last night.

Everyone is responsible for there own actions find the individuals and punish them, get greater control over tickets. What happens outside the stadium is beyond the control of the team or the FA,

dfx- wrote: »
    The incident is small in itself, a minor issue.

I can't agree with that.

What happens outside the stadium is beyond the control of the team or the FA,

this happened inside the stadium though did it not?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Well it's an isolated incident with maybe 10-20 people over in 20 seconds. The potential of it being an indicator of what will happen between Poland and Russia when there will be a lot more people mixed together for what could be a problematic fixture anyway.

What happens outside the stadium is beyond the control of the team or the FA,

this happened inside the stadium though did it not?
    It did my point was about overal control, FA and teams can't be responsible for outside the stadium that's society. Inside the stadium I made my point control and punishment of individuals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Best thing would be to take the 2018 world cup off them.

They have a racist element in their country anyway.

FIFA are idiots.

flyswatter wrote: »
    Best thing would be to take the 2018 world cup off them.

They are an extremely racist country anyway.

Take the WC of them because of some idiots? Seriously?

Generalisations rule !

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Take the WC of them because of some idiots? Seriously?

Generalisations rule !

Some? Do a bit of research. This is hardly a first.

Why should a country with racist tendencies and a history of football hooliganism and violence be given to right to host an international tournament?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Aquila wrote: »
    So some of you are advocating kicking out a team because of behavior of a minority element?

Yup just like punishing the majority with fines? Also with tax increases because of a few... Severe penalties for the few will make the few think twice.. Well thats my thinking. :D

Some? Do a bit of research. This is hardly a first.

Why should a country with racist tendencies and a history of football hooliganism and violence be given to right to host an international tournament?

This tournament is in Poland/Ukraine - history of violence and racism.
    Germany has history of hooligamism
    Brazil have hooliganism - take it off them too?
    England too.
    A lot of countries have idiots.

It was scummy behaviour,but to expel a team because of it would be beyond ridicuous. Ban the idiots that were fighting and charge them with assault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I didn't really agree with Russia getting the WC (bitter about England not getting it!!!) but you can't take it off of them because of this.

Unpleasant incident but all 4 stewards were released after first aid type treatment in hospital the same evening, and if you go into any A and E on a Friday or Saturday night or go out drinking in any town centre, you will see the result of similar disgusting attacks by young men and increasingly women, who have had too much to drink.

Aquila wrote: »
    You mean Spain,UK,France etc?

What are you talking about?

Russia are hosting the 2018 World Cup.

I think my point has been proven here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/euro2012/article-2156973/Euro-2012-Russia-face-disciplinary-action-steward-attack.html

By the way mentioning the UK as a racist country is pretty daft to be honest. A multicultural society that integrates, Ireland is actually more racist than the UK.

What are you talking about?

Russia are hosting the 2018 World Cup.

I think my point has been proven here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/euro2012/article-2156973/Euro-2012-Russia-face-disciplinary-action-steward-attack.html

By the way mentioning the UK as a racist country is pretty daft to be honest. A multicultural society that integrates, Ireland is actually more racist than the UK.

Where are you getting your facts from? (apart from the Daily Fail which is quite ironic)

Is there a racist league by counrty that I missed somewhere? Or have you lived in all these countries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You do what happens to any thug, you arrest them, charge them and don't give them bail and if they are found guilty give the the hard time they deserve.

Punishing the team for their behaviour is ridiculous.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Where are you getting your facts from? (apart from the Daily Fail which is quite ironic)

Is there a racist league by counrty that I missed somewhere? Or have you lived in all these countries?

Darragh Maloney mentioned it on RTE earlier. Do I have to go and get a link from The Guardian or The Independent to back that up? If you're going to be that pedantic about it then this might suffice: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jun/09/euro-2012-racist-chants-reported

http://euro2012.breakingnews.ie/news/racist-chants-aimed-at-czech-player-say-campaigners-554753.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement