Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Fishing Charleville area

Options
  • 09-06-2012 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Recently returned to Ireland and now living in North Cork. I am not familiar with the local waters so I am looking for some recommendations for trout waters within 20 miles or so of Charleville, North Cork.

Ideally a local club water but would consider a day ticket fishery.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

If you are in Charleville then you are only a few miles from the River Maigue as it goes through nearby Bruree and continues on to Adare.

The Bruree stretch of the Maigue was always good for trout. The Loobagh is a tributary of the Maigue and flows through Kilmallock.

The Mulcair river is usually a good trout river with the stretch between Annacotty bridge down to where it joins the Shannon being good for fun on the fly.

The Blackwater in Mallow and Fermoy is a river with plenty of trout if you want to head back into county Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

thanks Kess

I am familiar with the geography of the area (went to school here) but was looking for something a bit more specific

I walked a good stretch of the Maigue the other day and for the most part it was unfishable either due to weeds or the banks being overgrown with hedges, not ideal. Also walked the Awbeg near Ballyhea, a spot that I fished as a kid sadly to find it is nothing more than a ditch now in many places :(

Was looking for recommendations for fishing stretches that are fishable and are producing fish.

Advertisement