Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick confused :O question :D

• 09-06-2012 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

Quick question; I'm thinking about dropping to ordinary French, I got 44% in the mocks.. Last year i did ordinary French and got a B2. Would anyone think it's easier to get an A1 in ordinary, or a C3 in higher?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'd imagine it'd almost definitely be easier to get a C3 in honours. If you are capable of getting an A1 in ordinary, then you shouldn't be doing ordinary (for pretty much any student, for any subject).

Dropping down at this late stage isn't advised - you have been in a HL class up until now, looking at HL past exam questions. It's best to just stick with honours, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

And I should just say that that 44% was with knowing what was on the mocks and preparing it.. So yeah I pretty much struggle with the whole honours paper. Ordinary paper, I know I haven't done it in a year, but I'm pretty sure I'd feel a little more comfortable, even my teacher said I wasn't able ha :L
    And regards with the oral, if I dropped they'd mark it at an ordinary level standard right? /:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

And I should just say that that 44% was with knowing what was on the mocks and preparing it.. So yeah I pretty much struggle with the whole honours paper. Ordinary paper, I know I haven't done it in a year, but I'm pretty sure I'd feel a little more comfortable, even my teacher said I wasn't able ha :L
    And regards with the oral, if I dropped they'd mark it at an ordinary level standard right? /:

The oral is marked the same way for everybody. If your teacher said you should drop down maybe its the better thing to do especially if you say you'd feel more comfortable, depends how much study you've done since your mocks and how confident you're feeling now. failing Higher isn't any better than passing Ordinary.

practice some ordinary papers until then.

I've done very little study tbh, I know I'd feel alot more comfortable and not as much pressure.. I'm just looking at the papers though, it is alot different than what I'm used to, even though I did ordinary last year.. It just confuses me now :L

I've done very little study tbh, I know I'd feel alot more comfortable and not as much pressure.. I'm just looking at the papers though, it is alot different than what I'm used to, even though I did ordinary last year.. It just confuses me now :L

Well that's the thing, if you plan on doing OL , keep practicing some papers and get the hang of the layout and know what you're required to do, so you don't end up leaving something out. Also I don't know if you did listening last year for OL , but its much simpler.

• Advertisement

I did, I done ordinary level last year with very little study aswell, and came out with a B2.. I just want to pass ordinary than fail higher.. So I guess I'd be better dropping to ordinary (:

I did, I done ordinary level last year with very little study aswell, and came out with a B2.. I just want to pass ordinary than fail higher.. So I guess I'd be better dropping to ordinary (:

I'd say you'd be better off :)

Okay, thank you :D
    And last question, I'm repeating it right.. My last years results on the cao yoke, just say I needed 345 for a course, this year only get say 255, the cao will still offer me the course because I got the points last year? I've been told that, can't find anything on it though /:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

Okay, thank you :D
    And last question, I'm repeating it right.. My last years results on the cao yoke, just say I needed 345 for a course, this year only get say 255, the cao will still offer me the course because I got the points last year? I've been told that, can't find anything on it though /:

yes you can use last years points

Thank you very much! :) alot of pressure off now, just by that :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement