Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level Derive Trig Proofs

• 09-06-2012 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Do we need to derive all the formulas from Cos(A-B) or can we just assume it is true and start when we need to.

Example

Derive Sin(A+B)

Do I need to start at Cos(A-B) and prove that or can i assume to be true and just say Cos(A-B) = CosACosB+SinASinB and replace A with (90-A),Or do i have to start at Cos(a-b) and add (90-A) there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Do we need to derive all the formulas from Cos(A-B) or can we just assume it is true and start when we need to.

Example

Derive Sin(A+B)

Do I need to start at Cos(A-B) and prove that or can i assume to be true and just say Cos(A-B) = CosACosB+SinASinB and replace A with (90-A),Or do i have to start at Cos(a-b) and add (90-A) there?

Apparently with the old course they used to ask you to find Cos A-B then deduce others from it, so probably if not asked for it, you probably wont need to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Example

Derive Sin(A+B)

Ignore all that crap.

Lemme tell you what is gonna come up though

Advanced Trigonometry and i mean hard trigonometry
    You must know the logic behind the laws/rules of trig.

You also must be comfortable with manipulating the basics of trigs to astronomical heights, there gonna be going for the basics but manipulating them to truly test our knowledge.
    I did a lot of work at trig and know more or less the whole trig course and i can tell you know, you best get learning trig formula's and trig rules which you have never heard of before yet allowed you to answer a question in a certain way.... there gonna be hard, very hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Dapics wrote: »
    Ignore all that crap.

Lemme tell you what is gonna come up though

Advanced Trigonometry and i mean hard trigonometry
    You must know the logic behind the laws/rules of trig.

You also must be comfortable with manipulating the basics of trigs to astronomical heights, there gonna be going for the basics but manipulating them to truly test our knowledge.
    I did a lot of work at trig and know more or less the whole trig course and i can tell you know, you best get learning trig formula's and trig rules which you have never heard of before yet allowed you to answer a question in a certain way.... there gonna be hard, very hard.

Thus far I have seen basic trig formulas implemented in the samples.
    Don't know what you're fearmongering about.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

It'll be grand.

reznov wrote: »

What does Tan Inverse of 6 over 4 have in common with a line?

If you dont know this, best look it up cause its key to many question they could ask on trigonometry.

Also do you happen to know how the CAST circle is used to manipulate trigonometric formula?

Also Sample papers give by EDCO are useless.... they are just attempting to hit on different parts of the course, stick to the SEC and NCAA samples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭IRA 1916

Anybody know where I can find these?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Spattersonox

I'm pretty sure they can ask us to derive 9 of them and then be able to implement all 22 (or near that) of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 NlALL

Dapics wrote: »
    reznov wrote: »

What does Tan Inverse of 6 over 4 have in common with a line?

If you dont know this, best look it up cause its key to many question they could ask on trigonometry.

Also do you happen to know how the CAST circle is used to manipulate trigonometric formula?

Also Sample papers give by EDCO are useless.... they are just attempting to hit on different parts of the course, stick to the SEC and NCAA samples.

If you were so smart you might be able to figure out that 6/4 = 3/2...

And stop fearmongering, the word CAST circle isn't even mentioned in any of the books as far as I'm aware, they're hardly going to stick on a question that 90% of students have never heard of on the make or break year for their new course.

In short: be graaaand.

NlALL wrote: »
    If you were so smart you might be able to figure out that 6/4 = 3/2...

And stop fearmongering, the word CAST circle isn't even mentioned in any of the books as far as I'm aware, they're hardly going to stick on a question that 90% of students have never heard of on the make or break year for their new course.

In short: be graaaand.

It will be a lovely paper... Im not saying it wont, im just saying trig will be quite hard.

As for tan inverse of 6/4.... its relationship with a line is that tan inverse of 6/4 also gives you the slope of a line.... the slope of a line which contains an angle of tan inverse of 6/4 will always be the opposite... i.e- 4/6.
    This works for any value.... i.e - tan inverse of 3/5 will equate to a linw with a slope of 5/3.

Advertisement