Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Was Michelle de Bruin our greatest Olympian? Eamonn Coughlan says yes

• 10-06-2012 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

What you think, drug cheat or not? I think the fact she was not tested positive at the Olympics says she was not a cheat.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0609/1224317568167.html
    ONE OF Ireland’s most successful athletes says the treatment of Michelle de Bruin by the Irish public has been a disgrace and that the former swimmer is “our greatest Olympian”.

Senator Eamonn Coghlan, who was speaking before being given a distinguished fellowship of Athlone Institute of Technology yesterday, said the fact that de Bruin had never failed a drugs test left her at the top of the pile of our Olympians.

De Bruin won three gold medals and one bronze at the Atlanta Olympics in 1996, but was discredited after later being found guilty of tampering with a urine sample.

Despite possessing the best Irish record at the Olympics, de Bruin was not selected by the Olympic Council of Ireland as one of the 41 torch-bearers for the Olympic flame as it made its way through Ireland.

“There are athletes around the world that are tainted with positive tests and won medals who were never castigated in their home countries like Michelle was,” said Mr Coghlan.

“Let’s remember she never – ever – tested positive, particularly during her Olympic year. If you look at the record books, she is down as winning four medals at the Atlanta Olympics and it is because of that that I have to give her credit as Ireland’s best ever Olympian.

“There are a lot of people who would agree with me but there are also a lot of people who would disagree with me,” he said.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

I'm too young to remember this, but wasn't she found guilty of tampering with a urine sample? Why would she do that if she had nothing to hide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

She was a drug cheat and anyone who thinks she wasn't is delusional.

And I would. Anyoen who wouldn't is delusional.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

She was a drugs cheat and despite not testing positive, to suggest she wasn't juiced up for the olympics would be naive. Greatest Irish olympian my hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Do you think she tampered with the sample? If so why? This situation bothers me. What if she's totally innocent, imagine how horrible it must feel to be on the bad end of a witch hunt. Na wouldn't ride her either.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

I can't remember the full story, anyone care to enlighten me?
    Was there something about whiskey?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Salt of the earth lass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'm too young to remember this, but wasn't she found guilty of tampering with a urine sample? Why would she do that if she had nothing to hide?

Theres a bit more to it than that....none of which makes her look better...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelle_Smith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

She wanted to blast something with piss and had none on tap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I can't remember the full story, anyone care to enlighten me?
    Was there something about whiskey?

She used to brew whiskey from her own piss. She filtered it into alcohol through her hair, which is why it was so curly & looked like straw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

haha, didnt she cheat?i remember there was a big shmoly about that some years back..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

She used to brew whiskey from her own piss. She filtered it into alcohol through her hair, which is why it was so curly & looked like straw.

So the logical next question, how many whiskies before you would?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Have a read of this.
    She's guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

Didn't she go on to do law or something after the whole mess - kinda suggests an innocent with something to prove IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Whiskey in her urine, shure couldn't it happen to anyone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

mackg wrote: »
    So the logical next question, how many whiskies before you would?

All of the whiskeys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Michelle Smith had a little pharmaceutical enhancement in her performance therefore she was hardly a bastion of Irish Olympic prowess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

I deffo think she was and will always be our greatest swimmer. . So what if she took something to help her win gold medals they all do anyway just a question of being found out or not and Coughlan says the some of the public dont like her yet he dosent mention the media who cant stand her

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Whiskey in her urine, shure couldn't it happen to anyone...
    It could happen to a bishop...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Druggies out!

That she has been vilified in Ireland and others have been ignored in their own countries is to our credit. Long may our vilification of cheating continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Are you taking the p!ss? (and replacing it with whiskey?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Now a lawyer

And we all know they are honorable and would never ever lie :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

bob50 wrote: »
    I deffo think she was and will always be our greatest swimmer. . So what if she took something to help her win gold medals they all do anyway just a question of being found out or not and Coughlan says the some of the public dont like her yet he dosent mention the media who cant stand her

Fuck off. Sport is about what's right. What inspires to greatness. What makes the impossible happen. No room for cheats.

I saw that quote on the twitter earlier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

she is the greatest cheat of all time and got away with it too,now shes a lawyer good career move,she plays to her strenghts not a bad sport after all..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

What everyone needs to know in modern times ie 1988 onwards, drugs Blood products help athletes to win races, swims etc so people should get over their hangups about cheaters if it helps to them to win medals for their countries so what . i'm looking forward to the Chinese cleaning up in London in August

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

A very large portion of Olympians are on drugs, they just cycle well and haven't been caught. She was just in on the trend. Remember the talks of the Chinese eating dog-food to beat Sonia O'Sullivan? More like, roids.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jimmyhologram

Didn't she go on to do law or something after the whole mess - kinda suggests an innocent with something to prove IMO.

...Or perhaps a guilty person with an interest in technicalities and loopholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

All of the whiskeys.

Even the ones she pissed in? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jimmyhologram

bob50 wrote: »
    What everyone needs to know in modern times ie 1988 onwards, drugs Blood products help athletes to win races, swims etc so people should get over their hangups about cheaters if it helps to them to win medals for their countries so what . i'm looking forward to the Chinese cleaning up in London in August

If that's the case, then the facade should be dropped entirely and everybody should be openly allowed to take whatever enhancements they want.

It makes no sense to have rules and then to be blaise about people breaking those rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Brian Cowan wasn't a cheat but yet I owe billions...

• Advertisement

She did. I was once on the jury in the Coroner's Court and she was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

http://www.pendlayforum.com/showthread.php?t=6611

"An Interview with Angel Heredia - Former PED Dealer to Athletes and Olympians"

read that, cheapens sport but what can ye do

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I feel sorry for the swimmers who missed out on a medal due to this drug cheat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Nodin wrote: »
    Theres a bit more to it than that....none of which makes her look better...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelle_Smith
    I'm also of the view that her achievements were very suspect in light of her relationship with de Bruin and sample-tampering. However statements such as the following are extremely condescending;
    Wikipedia wrote:
    However, as David Wallechinsky writes in his Complete Book of the Summer Olympics series, doubts about Smith involved the fact that no Irish swimmer had ever won an Olympic medal
    So US athletes should be subject to less scrutiny since they come from a bigger, more successful country than tiny insignificant Ireland. Of course no US athlete has been found doping have they? Or how many cover-ups have occurred? Names like Carl Lewis and Flo-Jo have in my eyes as much a cloud of suspicion hanging over them but that seems to get swept under the carpet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

She was tested in 1998, she won the medals in the 1996 Olympics. That's 2 years later. She still has the medals and in my opinion the finest athlete Ireland has ever had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

And those Chinese athletes deserved their medals ahead of Sonia!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    And those Chinese athletes deserved their medals ahead of Sonia!

What Chinese? A Romanian athlete beat Sonia for gold fair and square in Sydney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

not saying gabriela szabo WAS definitely juiced, but her coach / husband was found in possession of a car-boot full of performance enhancing drugs just after that race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

also, as well as being a barrister. michelle smith de bruin is a published academic, haven written a book called 'Transnational Litigation'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Didnt a lot of scutiny come from some US swimmer getting pissy* at a press conference after not qualifying?

*pun not intended

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    She was a drug cheat and anyone who thinks she wasn't is delusional.

And I would. Anyoen who wouldn't is delusional.

Its like the skin of swimmers tends to be very pale, Obviously spending all that time in water possibly chlorine too, But no way she does nothing for me, Same with Rebecca Adlington, I couldn't. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Taking the tampered sample aside, her victory at the Olympics does seem suspect when you consider she had no major championship wins for most of her career and then wins 3 gold & 1 bronze medal at the age of 28, which quite old for a swimmer

mikemac1 wrote: »

Thats pretty standard for a law book, they're all highly priced to reflect the relatively small market that they cater for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

The man from the rarely heard of these days fruit company also tended to say yes (for some reason)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    The man from the rarely heard of these days fruit company also tended to say yes (for some reason)

He is locked up in a federal pen, His fruit company was only a front for his real product, Raw cocaine from Bolivia..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Marion Jones won 5 Gold at the Sydney Olympics in 2000 and only got caught as a CHEAT by her own admission in front of a Grand Jury.

Michael Smith came from no where at the age of 28(?) in the 1996 Atlanta Olympics and won 3 Gold and a Bronze when swimmers are not known for improving their times, if anything are starting to get slower.
    She of course got found out latter, but not as publicly as i would have liked as it was the sample that got tampered with so the Fans of Cheating have a poxy technicality which to champion the Queen of CHEATS.

Just because someone does not get caught at an event it does not mean they have not CHEATED, it depends who has the better chemist, but that is in the past hopefully with samples now being kept for future testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

dlofnep wrote: »
    A very large portion of Olympians are on drugs, they just cycle well and haven't been caught. She was just in on the trend. Remember the talks of the Chinese eating dog-food to beat Sonia O'Sullivan? More like, roids.

sure was Sonia not on them to, she must of been she won medals and stuff, didn't they strip search her in a tunnel (the bastards).

I never heard of Michael till those Olympics sure her hubby was a right chemist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

She was a drugs cheat and despite not testing positive, to suggest she wasn't juiced up for the olympics would be naive. Greatest Irish olympian my hole.

After reading that ridiculous post, I think you should have yourself tested.

A bit like saying, "Ya he's a murderer, despite never being found guilty of anything." :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

mongoman wrote: »
    After reading that ridiculous post, I think you should have yourself tested.

A bit like saying, "Ya he's a murderer, despite never being found guilty of anything." :rolleyes:

nice job of derailing the thread

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement