Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

house parties wrecking your head

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Fuinseog wrote: »
    it may come as a surprise but not everyone works 9-5 and only mon to friday.

if it were teenagers or students making the noise it would be one thing, but its folks who at their age should know better.

No, that dosen't come as a suprise at all. If people are unhappy with the working hours there stuck with maybe they should have studied a bit harder in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

no

Then you just made some enemies my friend :D

The "Grey Mafia" is gonna make your life hell for ruining their one-off occasion(DJ etc, not cheap)

Bad form Sir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

My neighbours behind me are always having parties and I always want to go! I was thinking if it looks kinda big I just kinda slip in and if anyone asks I say I know Mike.

I've thought this through a lot.

You're female, no one will question why you are there.

If this is a relatively rare party that OP is giving out about then they are the kind of person that would make me not want to live in an estate. People celebrate stuff from time to time, live and let live.

Wonder why OP wasn't invited? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Noise regs don't state times-so noise can be noise no matter what the time of day or night. It's the duration of the noise that can constitute a noise or even a once-off very loud noise can be deemed to be in breach of the noise regs. If it intereferes with someone's peace and enjoyment of their own home then yes, they have a case.
    The Gardaí now have a lot of powers under the ASBO legislation to deal with issues like this.

I have the impression you have to tell the guards which laws are being broken and what they need to do, before they act. they were hesitant about going in and approached the offenders almost apologetically. the pair looked as if they were hardly out of college.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

mishkalucy wrote: »

The "Grey Mafia" is gonna make your life hell for ruing their one-off occasion(DJ etc, not cheap)

Bad form Sir

It might even be worse.

Old people, listening to Frank Sinatra:

It might be the real Mafia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11 lizmangan

lizmangan wrote: »
    Do wat I do on the way to work at 6 am just blast music out of ur car make sure u drive about 2 miles ahour out of ur estate with Windows down and the bass up full blast. Noone ever says anything to me they just Facebook it about not been able to sleep lol I am always the last one laughing...

Does that not piss off everyone else in the estate as well?

Half the estate does be at the same party every weekend... I live in one of them estate 80% of people are wired, and are bums...

The "Grey Mafia" is gonna make your life hell for ruining their one-off occasion(DJ etc, not cheap)

Bad form Sir

I probably did. I have the right to peace and quiet like anyone else. thez do not know where I live (I hope).

Half the estate does be at the same party every weekend... I live in one of them estate 80% of people are wired, and are bums...

hope you have not bought there

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

The "Grey Mafia" is gonna make your life hell for ruing their one-off occasion(DJ etc, not cheap)

Bad form Sir

It might even be worse.

Old people, listening to Frank Sinatra:

It might be the real Mafia.
    The op's old people are cooler than my old people in their choice of music.
    My old people love wee Daniel & the like.
    You could listen to Sinatra & enjoy it.

• Advertisement

I probably did. I have the right to peace and quiet like anyone else. thez do not know where I live (I hope).

I agree, but they also have the right to have a celebration!
    It is a Saturday night in June
    It is not so very late
    They have obviously only a few more years to celebrate so let them have at it;)

Are you Victor Meldrew???????????:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11 lizmangan

hope you have not bought there

Have.. can't sell noone will buy ere :(

I agree, but they also have the right to have a celebration!
    It is a Saturday night in June
    It is not so very late
    They have obviously only a few more years to celebrate so let them have at it;)

Are you Victor Meldrew???????????:P

if I were to play a little music in the back garden by day they would be the first to complain.

they could have had their party inside or even played the music at a reasonable level until ten, but when the pets in your house start getting scared and the baby screaming then you have to act.

How NEAR are you to this party OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

johngalway wrote: »
    the guards apparently can do nothing.

One wonders why we have them then, expensive pen pushers.

Most people consider it good when gardai don't act outside their legal powers. You obviously prefer of they could make up their own laws.

As to whoever suggested an asbo for an old age pensioner having a once off celebration at half twelve, cop on. You obviously have no concept of what real anti social behaviour is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 polskafanka

tdv123 wrote: »
    Well anybody who's unhappy with there working hours should get a new job then.

I don't think they are unhappy about working hours, they are unhappy about stupid, ignorant neighbours!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

MagicSean wrote: »

Most people consider it good when gardai don't act outside their legal powers. You obviously prefer of they could make up their own laws.

As to whoever suggested an asbo for an old age pensioner having a once off celebration at half twelve, cop on. You obviously have no concept of what real anti social behaviour is.

Let me tell you-you know nothing about me or my knowledge regarding anti-social behaviour. So make no assumptions. Infact i have a lot of experience in this area and an EXTREMELY good concept of 'what anti-social behaviour is' and know the law inside out on this. I told the OP to look at the legislation. It is up to him to interpret it and understand whether there is antisocial behaviour going on in his case. I am not there to witness the goings on and I am not aware of whether it is continuous, not continuous, loud, quiet etc. I simply initially responded to someone's incorrect claim that the 'Gardaí can do nothing', which is untrue. IF it turns out that there is an antisocial issue then YES the Gardaí can do plenty.

And to whoever said that there is a curfew of 11pm, again, incorrect. This assumption. Is likely based on district court case law, which holds no precedent. Noise regs DO NOT state time limits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I'm just going to use this thread as an excuse to rant...

Just come back from a friend's 18th (house party). We all went on the bouncy castle, one of my 'mates' threw my shoe over the fence. It was pitch black, so me and a couple of lads went over the fence with garden lights, couldn't find it. Ripped my jeans right around the bollocks in the process. Got a taxi back, got home to find one of the family had put the latch on the door so was stood in my porch for 10 minutes. Got in, been away for the past few days so we've no food in, and I can't find my toothbrush. Then got to my room, bulbs blew out, tripped over a guitar case and almost broke my neck.

All as a result of a house party. So I hate everyone and everything.

More on topic, the road behind me had a street party for the Jubilee. Hearing 'God Save The Queen' blasting out at full volume made me want to rip of my bollocks, shrivel them down like raisins and shove them in my ears.

What a happy 9,000th post. Another reason to be miserable - I need a life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

To raid grow houses and stop people having a smoke of course. That's all they do really anyway.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

perry como and frank sinatra blaring out at this hour? my house pets went ape**** and started jumping around the place youngest person there is sixty and they are the very people who complain about the youth of today.
    I think it's anti-ageism week. The elderly are revolting. *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭jluv

Think we've all been on both sides. As long as it's an unusual occourance.
    Annoying if you have to go to work.Been there listening to a family favouite singing some god awful song.Blanket over head to drown it out to no avail.But..endured it because it would not have been a weekly thing but possibly a family celebration.Live and let live..
    And I'm sure someone at some stage have had to endure one of my family singing something when they just wanted to sleep.Again a rare occourance.
    But celebrations do happen..
    Euros in town..
    If Ireland win games..
    Prepare..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

jluv wrote: »
    Annoying if you have to go to work.Been there listening to a family favouite singing some god awful song.Blanket over head to drown it out to no avail.But..endured it because it would not have been a weekly thing but possibly a family celebration.Live and let live..
    And I'm sure someone at some stage have had to endure one of my family singing something when they just wanted to sleep.Again a rare occourance.
    Euros in town..
    If Ireland win games..
    Prepare..
    My neighbours like country music.
    Irish country music....
    *shudder*

Johro wrote: »
    Irish country music....
    *shudder*

And what I may ask is wrong with a bit of Declan Nearney and the bould Daniel?

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

If they were regularly waking my kids up, then I would say something to them, and call the guards if necessary.
    Luckily, I've never had that problem.
    Where I used to live, there were students renting next door, and they'd always drop a note in to let us know if they were planning a party that night, with their phone number too incase there was an issue.
    I thought that was really nice.
    Mostly, I don't mind the odd loud party though, especially seeing as my kids are loud as fcuk in the mornings, so I'm sure my neighbours aren't too happy about that.
    They'll have a newborn to listen to now soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭jluv

Johro wrote: »
    Irish country music....
    *shudder*
    I suggest you get ready for "You'll never beat the Irish"!
    Ah look if it was a once off,not an every weekend thing,then it should not be an issue IMO, Annoying yes..but something you would get over easily I would think?

I don't get the OP's POV
    He seems to be making a mountain out of a molehill tbh

Should have lived next door to the shower that I used to :eek::eek::eek:

That's a whole nuther thread in itself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 karen234

If they were regularly waking my kids up, then I would say something to them, and call the guards if necessary.
    Luckily, I've never had that problem.
    Where I used to live, there were students renting next door, and they'd always drop a note in to let us know if they were planning a party that night, with their phone number too incase there was an issue.
    I thought that was really nice.
    Mostly, I don't mind the odd loud party though, especially seeing as my kids are loud as fcuk in the mornings, so I'm sure my neighbours aren't too happy about that.
    They'll have a newborn to listen to now soon too.

Your attitude is really refreshing.I've lived in my share of those party houses and now, at 22, I've just moved in to a one bedroom place with my boyfriend to get away from it all.I'm terrified of making too much noise and upsetting somebody as in the last place I lived the walls were so paper thin you couldn't so much as breathe without the guy in the next room hearing it.Your comment has made me feel more comfortable that not everybody will throw a hissy fit over everything.Up until now I had my finger on the volume button just in case the music during a film got too loud.(You know how they do...dialogue nearly silent, backing music blaring...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

If they're playing techno-house or minimal, then I let them at it. Otherwise I'll ring the cops and/or sea rescue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Can I complain about the lads cutting silage at 5.00am this morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

OP have a house party when your going to work

How NEAR are you to this party OP?

their garden backs into my neighbours. about forty metres. i am sure they invited the neighbours from their road, but maybe a note in the door of houses on our road saying when the music would end would have been in order.
    its otherwise a relatively quite residential area.
    these are the very people who talk to joe bitching about everything yet do not consider their own noise pollution.

• Advertisement

MagicSean wrote: »

why should I tolerate this crap? no noise in your garden or street after ten. simple as. they could have had their party indoors the noise would have been halved.

Jester252 wrote: »
    OP have a house party when your going to work

this was a garden party.

jluv wrote: »
    Euros in town..
    If Ireland win games..
    Prepare..

if they were having a sing song in the back garden it would not have been as loud as some prick singing into a mike and massive speakers pointing towards my house and ignoring polite calls to turn it down a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

It's all about respect between you and your neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

for next time try a tray of hash muffins as a party warming gift, it will do the trick and should provide some interesting stories for the next day,

OP did you not get an invite.

Sappa wrote: »
    It's all about respect between you and your neighbours.

which is why I shouted over the garden between songs if they could turn it down and the minstrel mocked me over his mike. he did not like it when I appeared beside him and asked him to turn it down but was careful not to push it as he thought I was about to deck him. his feeble argument was that it was a private party, which it was but it does not give him the right to disturb the entire street. never before have I heard so many dogs barking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Can I interest the OP in one of these???:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

what do you do when the neighbours behind your gaffe have the music blaring out into the night? a party indoors is one thing. in the back garden with a dj playing old time music for some pensioner is another matter.

Join them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

which is why I shouted over the garden between songs if they could turn it down and the minstrel mocked me over his mike. he did not like it when I appeared beside him and asked him to turn it down but was careful not to push it as he thought I was about to deck him. his feeble argument was that it was a private party, which it was but it does not give him the right to disturb the entire street. never before have I heard so many dogs barking.

so not only are you a bully but you trespassed also, shame on you, shame on you op.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 MrsNice

for next time try a tray of hash muffins as a party warming gift, it will do the trick and should provide some interesting stories for the next day,

OP did you not get an invite.

No they didn't ... ha ha seems to be the main problem for all the complaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

what do you do when the neighbours behind your gaffe have the music blaring out into the night? a party indoors is one thing. in the back garden with a dj playing old time music for some pensioner is another matter.

The best thing to do is move. I did. An odd party is no harm but not every night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Let me tell you-you know nothing about me or my knowledge regarding anti-social behaviour. So make no assumptions. Infact i have a lot of experience in this area and an EXTREMELY good concept of 'what anti-social behaviour is' and know the law inside out on this. I told the OP to look at the legislation. It is up to him to interpret it and understand whether there is antisocial behaviour going on in his case. I am not there to witness the goings on and I am not aware of whether it is continuous, not continuous, loud, quiet etc. I simply initially responded to someone's incorrect claim that the 'Gardaí can do nothing', which is untrue. IF it turns out that there is an antisocial issue then YES the Gardaí can do plenty.

And to whoever said that there is a curfew of 11pm, again, incorrect. This assumption. Is likely based on district court case law, which holds no precedent. Noise regs DO NOT state time limits.

No you clearly don't have an "extremely good idea" what anti social behaviour is because you have suggested an asbo in a thread about an elderly man having a bit of music on at half twelve on a saturday night for a small party. A single noise complaint on its own would not constitute anti social behaviour. It has to be an ongoing problem.

So in actual fact the Gardaí have no legal power to intervene and can only ask people to turn music down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Personally I'd buy a few yokes and jump over the wall and crash the party.prpv

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

so OP

you said you were up watching the TV at 12:30 , so you were awake anyway and not trying to sleep

so basically they were " annoying " you because your enjoyment was being disturbed ?

if it was 3am and the music was blasting ,then a quick word would normally do it , but half twelve , and as it looks a once off , sure no wonder the garda were apologetic when approaching the party , as much as you are banging on about your rights - THEY also have the right to be annoying and have a party with out getting the law involved

you dont need to inform anyone if your having a party ( but most do inform close houses out of respect )
    and do you not see how hypocritical you are being by slagging the blue rinse brigade ringing joe, and here you are , half their age, bitching about them on AH

you should have ( like most people would ) put up with it !!

really - you sound like a barrel of laughs OP

dj jarvis wrote: »
    so OP

you said you were up watching the TV at 12:30 , so you were awake anyway and not trying to sleep

so basically they were " annoying " you because your enjoyment was being disturbed ?

if it was 3am and the music was blasting ,then a quick word would normally do it , but half twelve , and as it looks a once off , sure no wonder the garda were apologetic when approaching the party , as much as you are banging on about your rights - THEY also have the right to be annoying and have a party with out getting the law involved

you dont need to inform anyone if your having a party ( but most do inform close houses out of respect )
    and do you not see how hypocritical you are being by slagging the blue rinse brigade ringing joe, and here you are , half their age, bitching about them on AH

you should have ( like most people would ) put up with it !!

really - you sound like a barrel of laughs OP

I did not say I was watching the tv at 12:30. noise on the street after ten is not acceptable amongst grown ups. they do not have a right to create noise pollution and disturb the peace.

• Advertisement

I did not say I was watching the tv at 12:30. noise on the street after ten is not acceptable amongst grown ups. they do not have a right to create noise pollution and disturb the peace.

what planet do you live on ? , adults have the perfect right to have a one off party on their own premises - just because your a kill joy does not mean they cant

and you did say you were watching the box at 12:30 , im presuming you mean the tv and not your wifes fun zone

they had a noisy party - get over it - FFS - buy ear plugs

firstly the music is ****e so why should I be subjected to it in my own house with all door and windows closed?
    I was trying to watch the box in peace.

legally speaking it seems you can play your music as loud as you want, whenever you and there is no law against that. something amiss there.

just in case you had forgotten what you said , in black and highlighted for ya

as i said OP - a barrel of laughs
    you talk about responsible adults - when they started to throw garden furniture into your garden , pissing in your garden and throwing rocks at your house then yes that is being irresponsible , but having a party is not

read back the thread - majority think your being childish , and in fairness you are

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭rKossi

OP PISS ON THEM

rKossi wrote: »
    OP PISS ON THEM

i was tempted but thought better of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭rKossi

i was tempted but thought better of it.

:cool: Im not original

• Advertisement
Advertisement