Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Riot Deployed in Poznan Main Square

• 10-06-2012 1:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭

Apparently happening right now, loads of arrests, talk of it on twitter from people I know that are now.

Edit:*Riot Police

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Did they run out of Guinness? Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Anything serious here or overblown twitter stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

kryogen wrote: »
    Anything serious here or overblown twitter stuff?

There's been reports of arrests and riot police being deployed on Irish and Croatian fans so no, not overblown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

There's no riot according to two people I just talked with.

Reports on Twitter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

http://twitter.com/#!/garyred

Just seen this. Nothing to worry about it appears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'd say it's no different to Oxegen!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'd say it's people with absolutely no experience of being at a football match getting antsy with people singing with raised voices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

COME ON IRELAND ! ! !

He says the Irish/Croats having a laugh and Polish hooligans arrived, nothing serious though.

I have witnessed Polish scum/hooligans in action a few times first hand and they are no lads to mess about with. Hopefully nobody gets seriously hurt over there over the next month, I really hope I was wrong when I said holding the Euros in these countries was a disaster waiting to happen.

Riot police posing for photos again now, the good humour has returned according to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

COME ON IRELAND ! ! !

The "On Ire" bit is hard to see.
    It looks like "COME LAND"
    And that looks weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Small bit of YT footage up now, doesn't tell much though

The rumour is that a small group of Polish thugs with masks and hoodies up arrived on the scene, (where there had been no trouble up to that point) and they were starting to cause a bit but were followed very quickly onto the scene by the police who got it under control very quickly.

Few arrests, the hooligans who ran in mostly, reports of one fan in Irish jersey being detained, again, nothing serious

20 vans of riot police deployed near the main square, a water cannon nearby too apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

hashtag riotinpoznan

Has the rioting begun this time/yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

http://oognet.pl/content/details/542 Poznan main square webcam

you can see a few riot police on the left hand side right now, there was a lot more in the square about an hour ago but at that stage it was still dark and hard to make out what was happening

From what I have read and the photos I have seen not too much happened

Irish and Croats there all day, no trouble, the Polish arrived followed very quickly by the police who got on top of the situation very fast. Then it returned to normal. Heavy police presence but nothing actually happening after the initial skirmish.

No real injury reported, no real damage, few people been detained, one Irish possibly, but nothing serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

rovers fans obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Kaiser Chiefs I deployed a Riot part 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I was standing at the door of a bar just off the square last night when about 60-80 tough looking Polish lads with beer bottles marched past. They went into the square anyway and I would say they caused the trouble. I left as soon as I saw them because they looked troublesome. All big hard looking f**kers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I was there. I never saw any trouble, just a few lads getting their jocks off and climbing a lamp post! Next thing the riot police arrived and one of them clubbed me a across the back. Needless to say, we ran. A lot of lads got really wound up and threw drink back at them. From my point of view, the cops inflamed the whole situation but then again I didn't see the thugs in hoodies.... Fairly nasty vibe all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Maybe we can put all the rioting stuff into one thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

mike65 wrote: »
    Maybe we can put all the rioting stuff into one thread?

This one? ;-)

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Joekers

SSN reporting 14 arrested after last night, 10 polish 3 Irish and 1 Croatian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I have the feeling there will be carnage tonight. That square in Poznan is fairly full already, im sure everyone will be heading back there after the game. Its perfect for anyone looking for a full scale riot. Im sure the riot police will be on their toes tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I won't be going near that square tonight anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Joekers wrote: »

I think the famous quote "The irish are the best supporters in the world." might be now false. I am shocked at this news, Im dying to know what exactly happened. I hope the irish over there dont let us down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

inmyday wrote: »
    I think the famous quote "The irish are the best supporters in the world." might be now false.

Do you not think you might be over-reacting just a tad - especially when the facts of the matter aren't even known yet..?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

A few hooligans went to cause a bit of trouble, storm in a teacup lads

poznan2.jpg

poznan3.jpg

poznan4.jpg

poznan5.jpg

poznan6.jpg

poznan1.jpg
    http://www.balls.ie/2012/06/10/crazy-photos-from-the-violence-in-poznan-last-night/?pid=527

Various reports (from people who were there) have said over and over again, and its been mentioned in this thread a few times now, that the Irish and Croats were there all day, having the banter and the laugh, good spirits and no trouble, late last night it is reported that a group of Polish hooligans entered the square to cause trouble, the police arrived very quickly after them and arrested some people.

If a Polish guy was attacking an Irish guy and he fought back the police would arrest them both, I wouldn't judge the Irish over there as any report I got was that it was certainly not the fault of Irish or Croatian fans.

If anyone has been there you know how the square is layed out, it is a hive of activity and a perfect place for hooligans who are looking for trouble to target due to the amount of bars and streets leading into it and the open area in the middle.

There is a strong and very active hooligan element in Poland and I have witnessed some shocking scenes when I have been there and gone to see Lech Poznan games, going from the reports the police seemed to be well on top of this and good for them. They may seem heavy handed a little, but they have experience in these matters and a soft hand is generally no good.

If Irish people reacted to attacks they would be detained, but I'd be surprised if any charges would be brought against them

kryogen wrote: »
    Various reports (from people who were there) have said over and over again, and its been mentioned in this thread a few times now, that the Irish and Croats were there all day, having the banter and the laugh, good spirits and no trouble, late last night it is reported that a group of Polish hooligans entered the square to cause trouble, the police arrived very quickly after them and arrested some people.

If a Polish guy was attacking an Irish guy and he fought back the police would arrest them both, I wouldn't judge the Irish over there as any report I got was that it was certainly not the fault of Irish or Croatian fans.

If anyone has been there you know how the square is layed out, it is a hive of activity and a perfect place for hooligans who are looking for trouble to target due to the amount of bars and streets leading into it and the open area in the middle.

There is a strong and very active hooligan element in Poland and I have witnessed some shocking scenes when I have been there and gone to see Lech Poznan games, going from the reports the police seemed to be well on top of this and good for them. They may seem heavy handed a little, but they have experience in these matters and a soft hand is generally no good.

If Irish people reacted to attacks they would be detained, but I'd be surprised if any charges would be brought against them

Well said!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Joekers wrote: »

I think the famous quote "The irish are the best supporters in the world." might be now false. I am shocked at this news, Im dying to know what exactly happened. I hope the irish over there dont let us down.
    20000+ Irish 3 arrested yet 10 poles arrested kinda tells its own story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

"The irish are the best supporters in the world."

Oh, spare us. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Andy Burton on SSN reported that according to his sources it was a stand-off between the Poles & Croats and the Irish just happened to be there in the middle of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

whats the story with these Polish lads? Are kit-kats not sold in Poland or what?

Andy Burton on SSN reported that according to his sources it was a stand-off between the Poles & Croats and the Irish just happened to be there in the middle of it.

Ahahaha!! "What's the story lads???"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

A few hooligans went to cause a bit of trouble, storm in a teacup lads

poznan2.jpg

poznan3.jpg

poznan4.jpg

poznan5.jpg

poznan6.jpg

poznan1.jpg
    http://www.balls.ie/2012/06/10/crazy-photos-from-the-violence-in-poznan-last-night/?pid=527

That looks worse than I expected.

Hooligans are f*cking dickheads!!! What exactly is their major malfunction??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

No offense to you Deb, but 'Andy 2 phones Burton and his sources' what an absolute muppet of a man he is.

Anyway back OT, think the Irish lads will do well to stay clear of the square tonight, could be tough if we get a result...

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

AvCCKBBCAAEHwBb.jpg

:D

Ade wins that round! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Chips Ahoy

I just had to add the smiley didn't I :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Are there many boardsies gone over??
    Hope they'll be safe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Fenix wrote: »
    No offense to you Deb, but 'Andy 2 phones Burton and his sources' what an absolute muppet of a man he is.

Anyway back OT, think the Irish lads will do well to stay clear of the square tonight, could be tough if we get a result...

Ah, he's not the worst of them. Had to laugh though, he was chatting to Jim White via live link and said something along the lines of "Always great to see Ireland at these tournaments. I know in my house growing up, and I'm sure it was the same in your house Jim, Ireland were always our second team". Eh, I wouldn't be so sure there Andy :rolleyes: :D

That pic is brilliant Ade! :)

Advertisement