Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dual Citizenship

• 10-06-2012 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Do you envy people with with dual citizenship?
    I mean it's great to be Irish to some fat ugly Irish American but I don't get why Americans with Irish born parents can get an Irish passport.. I don't think it's fair! Americans of Irish descent see Ireland as a beautiful country which is not, well in terms of scenery yes it is.... But you have to understand that many Americans love and praise this country....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Suck it up and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Being a dual citizen is awesome, hate to not have it OP :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Like Nordy folk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

No i envy people with dual shoes. Anyone have a spare left size 9?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Irish gals are the babes of europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

well try gettin into the US with those ears hahaha

Irish gals are the babes of europe.

Irish girl are the ugliest hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

ireland is the best safest greatest country in the world. with ****ty weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Irish girl are the ugliest hahaha
    sandman ,in the name of Trapatoni get into dem Irish gals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

is this the first time you realised that the world is unfair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Does that chap with the beard who stood for election in County Louth have Dual citizenship? I'm not sure but doesn't one have to be a citizen of our 26 to stand for the Dail or is there some sort of 'granny rule' in operation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

People in some countries aren't allowed into any country.

What's that place in Ethiopia or Somalia where the people aren't allowed to go outside the boundaries of their region and are stuck their for their entire lives and their kids who are born there are stuck there too.

So just be happy with what you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I mean it's great to be Irish to some fat ugly Irish American but I don't get why Americans with Irish born parents can get an Irish passport.. I don't think it's fair! Americans of Irish descent see Ireland as a beautiful country which is not, well in terms of scenery yes it is.... But you have to understand that many Americans love and praise this country....
    They're not all fat and ugly. Olivia Wilde has dual American/Irish citizenship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

A few have been on the gargle I see.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

People in some countries aren't allowed into any country.

What's that place in Ethiopia or Somalia where the people aren't allowed to go outside the boundaries of their region and are stuck their for their entire lives and their kids who are born there are stuck there too.

So just be happy with what you have.
    Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

my daughter has three citizenships but i don't envy her. at the end of the day, she has to eat the same toast i do and use the same loo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Where To wrote: »
    Leitrim

Could be Djibouti.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Irish passport is handy to have in a spot of bother, that BBC war reporter dude has one cos he knows the government will make a bigger effort to get him back safe than the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I own the following passports:

British
    Irish
    Canadian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Correct me if I'm wrong but, is it true that if you have a Grandparent born in Ireland before 1922 you can apply for a UK passport/citizenship.

Incidentally I was born in the UK so for me applying for a UK passport for me would obviously be only a routine procedure.
    If travelling the globe I reckon it would be a prudent having it given the worldwide extent of the UK foreign office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

All my Polish mates got Irish citizenship this year,they reckon since they are going to be here a few more years in case the EU goes they are ok and a lot of them want to move to Oz or Mew Zealand,USA and this makes it easier.
    They paid 1300 for the privilege but to them it's an insurance policy and smart planning.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Dual citizenship to me means - EU or Non-EU queue at immigration, which is shorter? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Just by a pilots uniform and walk nobody will stop you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Correct me if I'm wrong but, is it true that if you have a Grandparent born in Ireland before 1922 you can apply for a UK passport/citizenship.

It is not true. If you have a parent born before 1947 who claims British citizenship then you have a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

haminka wrote: »
    my daughter has three citizenships but i don't envy her. at the end of the day, she has to eat the same toast i do and use the same loo.
    Gnobe wrote: »
    I own the following passports:

British
    Irish
    Canadian

Gnobe, are you haminkas daughter ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

It is not true. If you have a parent born before 1947 who claims British citizenship then you have a chance.

I'm in a giddy mood.... your post is incorrect too.....

Its 1948 :)..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I have dual Citizenship, only issue it causes me is when it comes to football.

Supporting Ireland tonight, and England tomorrow night. If they do manage to meet in the quaters, I hope I'm working, not sure I could cope with watching that.

When my GB&NI expired, I applied for an Irish one, from a patriotic viewpoint, conveinience, and to a lesser point, more friendly if I ever ended up in an unsavory place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Correct me if I'm wrong but, is it true that if you have a Grandparent born in Ireland before 1922 you can apply for a UK passport/citizenship

Even if it was true, I don't think I'd feel right calling my grandad a British citizen just so I could get a passport when he considered himself Irish, as he was, & if he'd had the choice, would have preferred not to have been born into a British controlled country.
    Tabnabs wrote: »
    Dual citizenship to me means - EU or Non-EU queue at immigration, which is shorter? :pac:

You can queue at the non-EU gate at the moment though — if you take a look next time, it says 'All passports'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ill be getting rid of my irish citizenship as soon as im eligible for canadian citizenship tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Is it the same as schizophrenia?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

No, I have dual citizenship. Really useful if you ask me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

irish-stew wrote: »
    When my GB&NI expired, I applied for an Irish one, from a patriotic viewpoint, conveinience, and to a lesser point, more friendly if I ever ended up in an unsavory place.

But now you face less consular support abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

my Dad was born in the UK so I think he has dual citizenship. I don't really see how it could come in handy though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Sappa wrote: »
    All my Polish mates got Irish citizenship this year,they reckon since they are going to be here a few more years in case the EU goes they are ok and a lot of them want to move to Oz or Mew Zealand,USA and this makes it easier.
    They paid 1300 for the privilege but to them it's an insurance policy and smart planning.

I've lived here since i was 5 but never got naturalised, 1300 - I can't afford to be Irish... it makes me sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

Irish citizens can use British consular service in a country that has no Irish embassy. Granted its for emergencies but then isnt that what embassies are for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

Im from NZ, my mum is Australian and my grand dad is British. Ive looked into claiming citizenship but I can't get ****.

So annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Me ma is american but i was born in ireland and have both passports. Yep, Its awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

Me ma is american but i was born in ireland and have both passports. Yep, Its awesome.

Awesome- Id love to go live in America/travel over there for a bit .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

planetX wrote: »
    Sappa wrote: »

I've lived here since i was 5 but never got naturalised, 1300 - I can't afford to be Irish... it makes me sad.
    I don't mean to frighten ya but it's going up 400 more nxt yr,the missis is applying and every year expect a rise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Like Nordy folk
    Not all.:cool: Us Unionist are British and British only.:)

• Advertisement

phasers wrote: »
    my Dad was born in the UK so I think he has dual citizenship. I don't really see how it could come in handy though

Who the hell would want a British passport. It's pretty useless especially if he lives in the EU.
    Now having an Aus passport would be cool

getzls wrote: »

Lol, nobody recognizes you! :p Just a sad Island that once ruled the world and now you are overrun by emigrants and you have a horrible cold accent! haha;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

My sister has duel nationality (Irish/Dutch ) and jokes that if she's ever in some country that suddenly breaks out into civil war and has taken a dislike to either Dutch or Irish citizens ,she can use one or the other passport to get the hell outta there :p

Won't be much use if they just don't like Europeans ...per se :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Fat Ugly Irish American!
    Tell that to Barak O'Bama. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

My sister has duel nationality (Irish/Dutch ) and jokes that if she's ever in some country that suddenly breaks out into civil war and has taken a dislike to either Dutch or Irish citizens ,she can use one or the other passport to get the hell outta there :p

Won't be much use if they just don't like Europeans ...per se :pac:
    getzls wrote: »
    I think the world and it's dog well knows that by now

Advertisement