Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Flags

• 10-06-2012 6:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Ok I was walking through town yesterday, and I saw a lot of pubs and shops with the Tri Colour out...

But across the streets...only bloody Munster flags, lads the season is over. Where the hell are the Irish flags, we are in a major tournament its a disgrace, there is no sign of the Tri Colour on the bridges either, just Limerick GAA and Munster flags.

I said it to a mate and he couldn't agree more with me...

/rant

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Same here in Wexford (near Gorey). I think I'm the only one on the road with a Tricolour hanging out of the house.

I'm hoping it's some sort of superstition - by not putting flags out, the team will have a big first win....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

shar01 wrote: »
    Same here in Wexford (near Gorey). I think I'm the only one on the road with a Tricolour hanging out of the house.

I'm hoping it's some sort of superstition - by not putting flags out, the team will have a big first win....:)

I think that bit of colour would be fantastic, all we hear in the news is how the whole world is pretty much broke and that people are losing their jobs...

A major tournament like this can really bring peoples spirits up and get them away from the sh!t news and I thought the local council's would embrace it and give the city a bit of colour, I mean they spend loads of money ripping up perfectly good roads just to relay them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Was in Kuala Lumpur two years ago in the run up to their Independence Day. Practically every house / apartment had a flag on it. Some of the office blocks had really big ones.

I'd love to see something similar here all year round.

We might be broke but we have our pride!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Not a rugby man but I understand why the Munster flags are there and I have no problem with it, but as the OP said the season is over so get em down!!! :) Be nice if they were replaced with Limerick GAA flags and Tricolours for the summer.

Fair play to everyone who have flags on there cars and houses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Its up to the council, When someone wants to pay for em, then they will change em.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Have my flags on the car :)
    I love to see the tricolour flying with pride for our team.

It's our flag - and not owned by the likes of sinn fein!!!

C'mon Ireland!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mr. TTime

Any one have an idea on where to get flags and/or bunting?

Feel partly responsible for defeat yesterday as did not have the house or car bedecked in the tricolour. Hoping to make amends for the Spain game...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Dunnes on Henry St. have some decent sized flags on sale, suited my window just fine and we put some up at work too. I'm sure Penneys and the Euroshops would be similarly stocked.

Agree though that, apart from the pubs and a few shops, we really haven't embraced the tournament and the atmosphere it can generate (not being wise after last night either, thinking Italia '90 tbh), would have thought the Council could have splashed out a bit. F'ck knows if they could send that yahoo of a mayor out to China twice in the past few months (and worse still, bring him back!) then decorating the bridges and O'Connell Street with national flags would hardly break them.

Not as if they can't be used again either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Mr. TTime wrote: »
    Any one have an idea on where to get flags and/or bunting?

Feel partly responsible for defeat yesterday as did not have the house or car bedecked in the tricolour. Hoping to make amends for the Spain game...

You've also go the army surplus store, they are €6 in there, and are a good size

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Have my flags on the car :)
    I love to see the tricolour flying with pride for our team.

It's our flag - and not owned by the likes of sinn fein!!!

C'mon Ireland!!!!!

What have Sinn Fein got to do with this thread?
    For the love of God!!!

• Advertisement

gerryo777 wrote: »
    What have Sinn Fein got to do with this thread?
    For the love of God!!!

Sometimes the flag waving is associated with a republican theme.
    This time it's purely for the sport.
    And I'm delighted that it's like that

C'mon Ireland

(Who is this god you speak of by the way?)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

A third of the flag is to do with republicanism :)

In regards to the council putting up Irish flags, that could lead them to a lot of hassle, technically if you are displaying the flag it should be taken down at dusk and put back out at dawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Why should we put Irish flags out just because of a sports event? We're Irish ALL the time, not just when a team plays.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

The house across the road from me has an English flag hanging out his window, and an Irish one and a Limerick GAA flag. I've yet to see the back of the house, there's gotta be something back there :rolleyes:

I'm afraid I don't or don't intend to have any flag/bunting displayed on my car/property. It's not because I'm not proud to be Irish but because I really have no interest in soccer nationally or internationally. Sorry about that....

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    The house across the road from me has an English flag hanging out his window, and an Irish one and a Limerick GAA flag. I've yet to see the back of the house, there's gotta be something back there :rolleyes:

I'm afraid I don't or don't intend to have any flag/bunting displayed on my car/property. It's not because I'm not proud to be Irish but because I really have no interest in soccer nationally or internationally. Sorry about that....

Fair enough!

Would you fly the flag for some other reason???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

LadyTBolt wrote: »

They're his curtains.....

Advertisement