Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Size of our support

• 10-06-2012 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭

Three quotes from Mark Ogden from the Telegraph

Mark Ogden ‏@MOgdenTelegraph
    Biggest group of travelling fans I've seen since Rangers in Mcr in 2008. Thankfully, Irish fans much better behaved. #euro2012
    Expand
    Reply Retweet Favorite

Poznan is swamped with Irish fans. 20,000 seems a bit of an under-estimate..#euro2012
    Expand
    Reply Retweet Favorite

All quiet in Poznan after last night's Irish invasion. Now estimated that 30,000 have made the trip. Could be more by tonight. #euro2012
    Expand
    Reply Retweet Favorite

Take a bow everyone who has travelled :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Had to have your own thread didn't ya kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

recession?

What recession!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Maybe a few of them could go to a match when they get back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

CiaranC wrote: »
    Maybe a few of them could go to a match when they get back
    Yea,if they have money left over for UK flights :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Tons of them yesterday in Berlin (apparently the difference in price between Ireland --> Poland and Ireland --> Germany --> Poland was insane, a guy I talked to said flying straight to Poland would have cost him around 600 euro, now he can go for around 100)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So that's where all the Dole and Child Allowance money is going! Make the Polish rich! :mad: :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

kryogen wrote: »
    recession?

What recession!?

As someone living overseas who gets drip fed info from the internet, mates etc I'm curious as to how 30k or however many people have managed to head over in 'this econmoic climate'.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    As someone living overseas who gets drip fed info from the internet, mates etc I'm curious as to how 30k or however many people have managed to head over in 'this econmoic climate'.
    Not everybody is on the dole.If you are lucky enough to still be working you are not that much worse off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

There still approx 1.8m people working.

300,000 public servants.

30,000 Civili servants etc.

30,000 going over isn't quite as unbelievable as you might think imo.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Are you suggesting a bunch of hard press public servants are in Poland? Shirley Not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Not everybody is on the dole.If you are lucky enough to still be working you are not that much worse off.

I know not 'everybody' is on the dole but a lot of those that aren't have mortgages, families etc and the general picture painted is that it's been all doom and gloom for years...until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Hoe much Irish will be inside the stadium tho?20,000?

I genuinely have no idea how so many have travelled, I guess they have been saving for it for a while and since we don't exactly get to go to every major tournament the guys probably felt it was worth the squeeze, others could afford it and others daddys could afford to send them I suppose!

I personally can't get over at all even though I would have free accomodation in Poznan (former co worker is Polish, moved back home a while ago) and he also has been able to source plenty of tickets for friends who have travelled over.

Just can't afford to take the time off with my second baby on the way!

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Hoe much Irish will be inside the stadium tho?20,000?

Official allocation is 7,000

Reckon it will be closer to 15,000 though.

mike65 wrote: »
    Are you suggesting a bunch of hard press public servants are in Poland? Shirley Not?

That wasn't a pop or anything just saying that there are 300,000 people (at least) who have secure employment.

I know not 'everybody' is on the dole but a lot of those that aren't have mortgages, families etc and the general picture painted is that it's been all doom and gloom for years...until now.
    My life has not changed very much to be honest.We have a mortgage to pay and if I could have persuaded the woman to go to Poznan instead of Lanzarote this year we wouldn't have put ourselves out too much.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

There are plenty of young Irish people 20-35 in full time work that don't have a mortgage that are probably blowing there savings on this trip.

Plenty of others will go as it's important to them and they might not get a chance again.

I'm delighted and proud that so many of us made the trip.

Edit: Obviously there are plenty of people with mortgages and family that can't afford to go but I don't think this would be the majority...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

If there was ever a time to blow the few quid you had put by, these uncertain times are probably it funnily enough. At least they are getting something for their few quid. Having money in an Irish bank is a very uncertain future for your money.

Delighted and surprised to see so may travelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Heading over Tues.

Job.
    Mortgage.
    30-35yr.
    2 kids >6

and not forgetting a very understanding wife :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Leiva wrote: »
    Heading over Tues.

Job.
    Mortgage.
    30-35yr.
    2 kids >6

and not forgetting a very understanding wife :D

Have you got tickets for the Spain match?

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »

If anyone is looking for tickets. #COYBIG on twitter. lots floating around for all games...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

adox wrote: »

Yep.

Italy x 4
    Spain x 2 (smash and grab on portal to get 2 - entered 4 but qty not available, entered 3 but qty not available, entered 2 and PHEW nabbed them)

Took me approx 18hrs over two nights into the wee hours to get them .
    I even designed a T- Shirt that's currently on sale on how I survived that awful UEFA Ticket Portal :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Fair play to them and hope they enjoy the games but hopefully the media don't want to give them medals for making a foreign away trip every 10 years.

stovelid wrote: »
    Fair play to them and hope they enjoy the games but hopefully the media don't want to give them medals for making a foreign away trip every 10 years.
    The "non-barstoolers" really need to get the f**k over themselves.It's 24 years since we have been in this tournament,some people are spending money they probably don't have.It's different than a group game in Lithuania.
    Cheer up ffs.

Ah yes i'll say something nice and then finish off with a dig. Stay classy as ever.

Hey stove are you watching any of the games on tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Leiva wrote: »
    Yep.

Italy x 4
    Spain x 2 (smash and grab on portal to get 2 - entered 4 but qty not available, entered 3 but qty not available, entered 2 and PHEW nabbed them)

Took me approx 18hrs over two nights into the wee hours to get them .
    I even designed a T- Shirt that's currently on sale on how I survived that awful UEFA Ticket Portal :pac:

Couldn't be more jealous right now. Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

cambo2008 wrote: »
    The "non-barstoolers" really need to get the f**k over themselves.It's 24 years since we have been in this tournament,some people are spending money they probably don't have.It's different than a group game in Lithuania.
    Cheer up ffs.

There is more happy people in another thread giving out about "common" people hanging flags & bunting outside houses.

I seriously don't get these moanbags at all.

I have no doubt the Irish will be the best supported county in the Euro's. Looking at some of the games in Ukraine there seems to be a lot of empty seat.

lordgoat wrote: »

Hey stove are you watching any of the games on tv?

In the pub of course. Haven't gone to Ireland games for a few years. Not overly pushed about the national team but looking forward to the games and hope the team does well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Always bitter. Some day you'll learn to just live and let live :)

• Advertisement

In the pub of course.

But surely a bastian of football like your self will be pitchside with the rest of the true lionheart fans? tut tut old bean, letting standards slip.

At least tell me you'll have your leprechaun beard and inflatable banana?

(This is meant as light hearted! Don't want to casuse upset on a potential national holiday!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    There is more happy people in another thread giving out about "common" people hanging flags & bunting outside houses.

I seriously don't get these moanbags at all.

I have no doubt the Irish will be the best supported county in the Euro's. Looking at some of the games in Ukraine there seems to be a lot of empty seat.

Love that video. The Polish fans dancing away with them, even the one-armed lad stopping the Polish lad walking through, making him sit down to jump up again. Top support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Mushy wrote: »
    Love that video. The Polish fans dancing away with them, even the one-armed lad stopping the Polish lad walking through, making him sit down to jump up again. Top support.

Aye there is another one of Croatian fans and Irish fans all having a few beers together enjoying the atmosphere.

Fantastic too see.

lordgoat wrote: »
    true lionheart fans

That's tomorrow ;)

Right, drink time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Just going from experience here. Times were always tight growing up in the 80s, mother on her own with the 3 of us. Most parts of the year would be a struggle but come birthdays and Xmas, she would somehow always make sure we never went without, even at the age where Santa was real and our "xmas lists" included Sega Mega Drive, SNES, etc which at the time when new cost a fortune.

What i am trying to say is ...... Where there is a will there is a way.

A lot of these fans may be struggling big time back home but have made sacrifices in their lives to ensure they make it to support the team. That might be going out less on weekends (or not at all) or getting your shopping from Lidl/Aldi, bringing packed lunches into work versus a sandwich in O'Briens.

I'm not excessively nationalistic but can't help be proud of Traps Army who made it over there. Fair play to you all and hope you have the times of your lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

THFC wrote: »
    Always bitter. Some day you'll learn to just live and let live :)

Hoping the team does well is bitter now ? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

We're all gonna be dead one day!! There's nothing wrong with blowing your money away on a trip to the Euros!!!

Promote the country and promote it well!!!!

Pain in my stomach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

monkey9 wrote: »
    We're all gonna be dead one day!! There's nothing wrong with blowing your money away on a trip to the Euros!!!

Promote the country and promote it well!!!!

What a ****e attiude.........

dahat wrote: »
    What a ****e attiude.........

??

I think you might have missed the spirit the in which the post was intended.

The suggestion wasn't that you use your kid's college fund or let the bank take the house in exchange for a trip to the euros!

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

532815_10151840340800441_1935272140_n.jpg
    last night in Poznan!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

Best fans in the world without a doubt.

Fields of Athenry trending in the UK and Ireland and RVP tweeted about it. Amaing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

paddy978 wrote: »

Fields of Athenry trending in the UK and Ireland and RVP tweeted about it. Amaing.
    Having been at every home qualifier, trust me, we're not the best fans in the world. The atmosphere is like a morgue in the Aviva sometimes.

We're great at getting drunk and singing on the big occasion, but thats it.

paddy978 wrote: »
    What absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

What absolute rubbish.

Brilliant now you've decided to come and try and ruin this thread.

By not being like 'OMGZLOLZ THE FIELDS OF ATHENRY SOUNDED SO AMAZING, WE'RE SO MUCH CRAIC!!!!! LETS MAKE A FEW FATHER TED QUOTES!!!!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

CSF wrote: »
    By not being like 'OMGZLOLZ THE FIELDS OF ATHENRY SOUNDED SO AMAZING, WE'RE SO MUCH CRAIC!!!!! LETS MAKE A FEW FATHER TED QUOTES!!!!'

Edit: Actually **** it. I cant be arsed.

They arent even the best football fans in Ireland :pac:

joe123 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ. Shut up.
    No.

Sounded great on the night fair play to them but I'm kinda sick of the constant back slapping in the media and net here about being the best in the world. Supporters and Ultras groups do it all over the world every week.

It's not pissing on a parade to object to all the back slapping.

They arent even the best football fans in Ireland :pac:
    Ah thanks:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement