Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Size of our support

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

A lot of the crowd looked suicidal at the end. So upset it looked like they were laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭useurename

They traveled to support the team. As Irish supporters they are wise enough to know they are playing one of the great teams of all time.We got demolished tonight on the pitch. So what if the begrudgers on here want to slay the atmosphere at the Aviva on Wednesdy night in October against Andora or even Slovakia.This is the Euros.We are the minnows.The Green Army is a huge diverse group coming together to support the team.Give it a break with the negative vibes.The team are technically inferior to the rest, not the fans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

CSF wrote: »
    The atmosphere is like a morgue in the Aviva sometimes.
    Same applies to the other tenants of the Aviva, was dead for all of the 6N campaign...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Garseys wrote: »
    Same applies to the other tenants of the Aviva, was dead for all of the 6N campaign...
    Yeah but sure rugby is ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

Chief Executive Speaks:
    The Football Association of Ireland would like pay tribute to our fans who have once again proven that they are amongst the very best in the world. The atmosphere that our supporters generated in the stadium was phenomenal and has brought great pride to our country. Our players and management are disappointed that they could not get the result tonight that would have kept us in contention to qualify for the knock out stages and give the fans what they are hoping for.

CEO of the Football Association of Ireland, John Delaney, said ‘The Irish fans have made many sacrifices to follow our squad and have been absolutely amazing. The abiding memory that we will take away from this match will be the many thousands of Irish fans singing the ‘Fields of Athenry’ right up to and beyond the final whistle. They are a credit to the game and to our country. On behalf of the FAI, the squad and management team I would like to thank them for their incredible support.’

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

monkey9 wrote: »
    We're all gonna be dead one day!! There's nothing wrong with blowing your money away on a trip to the Euros!!!

Promote the country and promote it well!!!!
    As my uncle says, you can't bring it with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Brendan Clarke said it perfectly really - https://twitter.com/BrenClarke1/status/213384097224065025

Best fans in the world? Not a chance. We have the loudest at this tournament though. Where are they during qualifiers when you can hear a pin drop in Lansdowne?

L'prof wrote: »

Legend.

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    Legend.

In your eyes, never in mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Best fan's in the world my arse, I know guys who are in Poland and they have never set foot in a League of Ireland ground nor Lansdowne Road/Aviva for that matter , The constant repeat of Ole , Fields of Athenry etc is cringeworthy ,

I was at Italia 90 as a 17 yr Old and USA 94 as a J1 Student but would not spend 10c to see Ireland for the simple reason is that they are crap .

I am a Season Ticket Holder at Celtic have only eyes for this competitive team who have the best support in the Islands without question

L'prof wrote: »
    In your eyes, never in mine!

He's not really dissing the fans there. Well, not all of them.

stovelid wrote: »
    He's not really dissing the fans there. Well, not all of them.

He's not in a position to have much of an opinion. Far too much mouth, far too much of the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

galait wrote: »
    for the simple reason is that they are crap .

yeah

I support my team St Pats regardless of ability, i support ireland regardless of ability.

Would you kindly **** off, your as bad as them.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Best fan's in the world my arse, I know guys who are in Poland and they have never set foot in a League of Ireland ground nor Lansdowne Road/Aviva for that matter , The constant repeat of Ole , Fields of Athenry etc is cringeworthy ,

I was at Italia 90 as a 17 yr Old and USA 94 as a J1 Student but would not spend 10c to see Ireland for the simple reason is that they are crap .

I am a Season Ticket Holder at Celtic have only eyes for this competitive team who have the best support in the Islands without question

???, Celtic are a worse team than Ireland, sure they might be 'competitive' domestically, but that's due to their pathetic opposition. In Europe they managed to win just one game out of 8 last season, and only made the group stages of the Europa league on a technicality. Even Shamrock Rovers managed to get there through normal procedure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

One thing it proves is that the media have exaggerated the Irish recession beyond belief. If you are working and don't have a massive mortgage, like most people, then you still can have a good life, as good as before the recession. Most of the people who travelled are under 35 and in a professional job; they are in the same situation as ever.

Our unemployment rate - 14.5% seems high compared to a few years ago, however it still shows the vast majority of people are actually working - 85.5% is still the vast majority of Irish people. Listening to the media you'd swear only a few people in the public sector have jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

One thing it proves is that the media have exaggerated the Irish recession beyond belief. If you are working and don't have a massive mortgage, like most people, then you still can have a good life, as good as before the recession. Most of the people who travelled are under 35 and in a professional job; they are in the same situation as ever.

Our unemployment rate - 14.5% seems high compared to a few years ago, however it still shows the vast majority of people are actually working - 85.5% is still the vast majority of Irish people. Listening to the media you'd swear only a few people in the public sector have jobs.

uhh I could have went but im saving my holidays and money for St Pats Euro Adventure.....

please be in Europe this time......please :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

ah sure youre a great lad

Im stuck following my COUNTRY for 30 years now and will keep following them for the next 30. Actually im pretty proud we got there for the first time since 1988 and sure we cuda done better but even Jacks teams would have struggled in this group.
    Now go away and follow your winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

dreamers75 wrote: »
    uhh I could have went but im saving my holidays and money for St Pats Euro Adventure.....

please be in Europe this time......please :(

Same. Had to choose between some sh*te country like Albania for a few days or Poland for 3 weeks.

Not even a question really, is it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Best supported team outside of Poland and the Ukraine. PROUD to be Irish you brit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Say what you want about fake Irish supporters and the rest, but this is just amazing.

I can only imagine what it felt to play for Ireland under a crowd like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Serbian news channels played the Irish singing for 10 minutes, as did ESPN!!

dreamers75 wrote: »
    yeah

I support my team St Pats regardless of ability, i support ireland regardless of ability.

Would you kindly **** off, your as bad as them.....

My Main Point is that there are Guy's out there from Athlone who have NEVER attended a LOI Game and have nor have they ever been to Lansdowne ,

These people are simply on a Jolly and could not care less abouth the results - If Ireland's away support were genuine supporters it should translate to a home support whould could fill both Croke Park and the Aviva combined for EVERY Home Game , Some of the games in the Qualifiers had a less than half full stadium .

I have done both regularly and have come to the conclusion that both the LOI and the National Team are crap - Sorry !

You should spend a season or 2 with the Celtic Away Domestic/European Support, Now we/they are simply the best football fans in Europe.

Also as I sit here looking Proudly at my Italia 90 Genoa(Romania) Ticket I am thinking will anyone be talking about Ireland V Spain 2012 in 2034 , I doubt it ..

We're talking about it now, get over yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

dahat wrote: »
    What a ****e attiude.........

Ahaha!! Only seeing this now!!! Enjoy your grave so with your own amazing attitude!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Im sure they will all be back for Ireland's next match, the group e opening game versus Estonia in Lille.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

My Main Point is that there are Guy's out there from Athlone who have NEVER attended a LOI Game and have nor have they ever been to Lansdowne ,

These people are simply on a Jolly and could not care less abouth the results - If Ireland's away support were genuine supporters it should translate to a home support whould could fill both Croke Park and the Aviva combined for EVERY Home Game , Some of the games in the Qualifiers had a less than half full stadium .

I have done both regularly and have come to the conclusion that both the LOI and the National Team are crap - Sorry !

You should spend a season or 2 with the Celtic Away Domestic/European Support, Now we/they are simply the best football fans in Europe.

We had the 4th highest attendance of all European nations in qualifying. Our lowest attendance (33,200) was greater than the highest attendance for Spain, Italy, Sweden, Croatia, Czech Republic and Greece, all nations which qualified.

Each to their own I suppose, I'm sure you enjoy following Celtic. Just odd you mentioned it's due to them being a competitive team, when they play an inferior standard of football/opposition to Ireland, and have been found every bit as much wanting in Europe as Ireland at the Euro's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

paddy978 wrote: »
    Three quotes from Mark Ogden from the Telegraph

Mark Ogden ‏@MOgdenTelegraph
    Biggest group of travelling fans I've seen since Rangers in Mcr in 2008. Thankfully, Irish fans much better behaved. #euro2012
    Expand
    Reply Retweet Favorite

Poznan is swamped with Irish fans. 20,000 seems a bit of an under-estimate..#euro2012
    Expand
    Reply Retweet Favorite

All quiet in Poznan after last night's Irish invasion. Now estimated that 30,000 have made the trip. Could be more by tonight. #euro2012
    Expand
    Reply Retweet Favorite

Take a bow everyone who has travelled :D

:pac:

I'd rather go the whole hog and support the most cringeworthy EPL bandwagon than support a plastic Irish team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Sport is more than about winning, its also about representation, that singing will go down as a unique moment in sporting history and Ireland after been battered for the last few years politically have somewhat gained a little bit of magic back internationally, in fifty years time two things will be remembered from this tournament, the winners and the Irish fans singing and showing solidarity.

Oh and were going to get a **** load of tourism from this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

billybudd wrote: »
    Sport is more than about winning, its also about representation, that singing will go down as a unique moment in sporting history and Ireland after been battered for the last few years politically have somewhat gained a little bit of magic back internationally, in fifty years time two things will be remembered from this tournament, the winners and the Irish fans singing and showing solidarity.

I hope you're taking the piss. Please tell me you're taking the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

billybudd wrote: »

For 2 hours last night while there was murder on gdansk floor, our fans most have outnumbered the opposition by at least 99:1, because I didn't once here the spanish make any noise!

When Billow Hurling said he felt the one abiding memory from the tournament would be the singing at the end, I had already been saying to the missus how unbelievable it was and was imagining how awsome it would have been to be there. I have never in my life seen anything like it and most likely never will again.
    It brought tears of joy to my eyes, not sadness at the defeat demolition, but absolute pride in our nation, our fans, our green jersey. Just reading your post is bringing those tears back. The hairs are still standing on the back of my neck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

I hope you're taking the piss. Please tell me you're taking the piss.

No i am not, its been a positive experience for the country, maybe not in football terms but thats another topic, for now i am very proud of what i heard and saw last night and throughout the tournament, if that makes me naieve, silly, idiotic in your eyes so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

I think some people need to look up "support" in the dictionary. To the bitter LOI brigade what would you of preferred the Irish fans do?

Leave before the end of the match?
    Start rioting?
    Chanting abuse?
    Booing the team?

I dont know about you but I thought there was something poetic about last night. It was clear Spain were leagues ahead of us, they battered us and we could of lost by more. But the fans showed how to support the team. The Fields of Athenry echoing around the stadium for ten minutes while Ireland were put to the sword by the mighty Spain.

Yes it annoys the hell out of me when I cant get people to go with me up to Dublin for internationals or when they dont even bother watching a match on the tv.

But Il tell you one thing, it was a proud moment when the fans started singing last night.

Sure alot of those in the Stadium last night might not be as committed when qualifiers come around but they sure as hell did us proud. You read about Russian,Polish,English fans fighting and acting like thugs throwing abuse at their own players. You hear Irish fans still singing even though we were getting battered.

It was an act of solidarity and dare I say it Support. We can complain in forums, with friends, at work or where ever. But when you are in the stadium you get behind the team no matter what.

Oh but pardon me, they dont go support Shelbourne every weekend. What a disgrace! :rolleyes:

Il make no apology for supporting Liverpool and having very little interest in the LOI. From as far back as I can remember ive supported Liverpool. What connection do I have to a LOI club that is nowhere near I live? A terrible brand of football and a team I have no love or connection with? No sorry I am not really into the whole changing what team I support.

These LOI clubs would fare much better if they had a better involvement with Junior league teams. Case in point, my local club who we had just reformed after 15 years had an "offical" opening match and Sligo Rovers agreed that they would come down and play us in a friendly.

Cue the day of the match, Sligo send down aload U18s and possible u16s. They had 8 players where we had to give them some of our own subs. Let me point out this was advertised for weeks around the town yet Sligo pull this ****n ****. Well I tell you we hammered them off the park and everyone of us associated with the club that day lost every bit of respect we had for Sligo Rovers.

They had a chance to show a town what their standard was like, a chance to help out a newly formed club and they pull that stunt. Well the overall message of that day was a big "**** you Sligo Rovers".

Go and live in Glasgow then and get yourself a Scottish Passport
    Also as I sit here looking Proudly with shame at my Italia 90 Genoa(Romania) Ticket I am thinking will anyone be talking about Ireland V Spain 2012 in 2034 , I doubt it ..

FYP : And I think that the noise the fans made at the end will be talked about for ever, and it will be on Reeling in the Years 2012

joe123 wrote: »
    I think some people need to look up "support" in the dictionary. To the bitter LOI brigade what would you of preferred the Irish fans do?

Start rioting?
    Chanting abuse?
    Booing the team?

I dont know about you but I thought there was something poetic about last night. It was clear Spain were leagues ahead of us, they battered us and we could of lost by more. But the fans showed how to support the team. The Fields of Athenry echoing around the stadium for ten minutes while Ireland were put to the sword by the mighty Spain.

Yes it annoys the hell out of me when I cant get people to go with me up to Dublin for internationals or when they dont even bother watching a match on the tv.

But Il tell you one thing, it was a proud moment when the fans started singing last night.

Sure alot of those in the Stadium last night might not be as committed when qualifiers come around but they sure as hell did us proud. You read about Russian,Polish,English fans fighting and acting like thugs throwing abuse at their own players. You hear Irish fans still singing even though we were getting battered.

It was an act of solidarity and dare I say it Support. We can complain in forums, with friends, at work or where ever. But when you are in the stadium you get behind the team no matter what.

Oh but pardon me, they dont go support Shelbourne every weekend. What a disgrace! :rolleyes:

Il make no apology for supporting Liverpool and having very little interest in the LOI. From as far back as I can remember ive supported Liverpool. What connection do I have to a LOI club that is nowhere near I live? A terrible brand of football and a team I have no love or connection with? No sorry I am not really into the whole changing what team I support.

These LOI clubs would fare much better if they had a better involvement with Junior league teams. Case in point, my local club who we had just reformed after 15 years had an "offical" opening match and Sligo Rovers agreed that they would come down and play us in a friendly.

Cue the day of the match, Sligo send down aload U18s and possible u16s. They had 8 players where we had to give them some of our own subs. Let me point out this was advertised for weeks around the town yet Sligo pull this ****n ****. Well I tell you we hammered them off the park and everyone of us associated with the club that day lost every bit of respect we had for Sligo Rovers.

They had a chance to show a town what their standard was like, a chance to help out a newly formed club and they pull that stunt. Well the overall message of that day was a big "**** you Sligo Rovers".

Get it all out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

stevieob wrote: »
    Go and live in Glasgow then and get yourself a Scottish Passport

FYP : And I think that the noise the fans made at the end will be talked about for ever, and it will be on Reeling in the Years 2012

But it shouldn't. Supporters are spectators, bystanders. Should never be the story just part of it.

But it shouldn't. Supporters are spectators, bystanders. Should never be the story just part of it.

so by that reasoning nobody should ever think of the 96 who died at Hillsborough because they were not the attraction on the occasion and only bystanders.

We should all remember David Kellys goal agains Engerland and how we were pi55in6 all over them in Lansdowne road and not really recall how their fans tore up our stadium!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

stevieob wrote: »
    so by that reasoning nobody should ever think of the 96 who died at Hillsborough because they were not the attraction on the occasion and only bystanders.

We should all remember David Kellys goal agains Engerland and how we were pi55in6 all over them in Lansdowne road and not really recall how their fans tore up our stadium!

Oh Jesus Christ!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Jaysus, reading this thread and some of the others, all I can think is, "Some men just want to watch the world burn".

Some of ye won't be happy until every poster on the soccer forum:
    - owns a season ticket to a LOI side and attends every game
    - attends every Irish game, home and away
    -> while at the same time despising any show of patriotism
    - despises Celtic
    - has no interest in English football

And even then these posters won't be happy. Some people on here need to get over themselves, it's like indie kids with their 'oh, I was into them before they even formed a band'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

joe123 wrote: »

Start rioting?
    Chanting abuse?
    Booing the team?

we're getting hammered but sure what the hell, one more time, low lie the fields..............................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

amazing cynicism in this thread, a quote from Bertie comes to mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

mystic86 wrote: »
    amazing cynicism in this thread, a quote from Bertie comes to mind...

go on................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

we're getting hammered but sure what the hell, one more time, low lie the fields..............................

So what...leave early? Boo the team? Yeah good man.

• Advertisement
Advertisement