Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 minutes extra?

Options
  • 10-06-2012 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

I just noticed today that the exam timetable has a little note on the side that says:
    The examination sessions highlighted in red include 20 minutes over and above the time traditionally allocated for the papers concerned.

The exams in red include both English and Irish papers, Geography and History. Does this mean we can ask for that extra time if needed?

The timetable for anyone interested: http://www.examinations.ie/exam/2012_LC_Written_EV.pdf (Note 2).
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

It's already allocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ehshup

no I'm afraid not as far as I know. I'm pretty sure that just means that the supervisors have a bit of leeway in their starting time and ending time, but either way students only have the same amount of time to answer. Well that's as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ehshup

It's already allocated.

wait, what's the point of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Its already integrated into the exam times.English paper 2 used to be 3 hours.now its 3:20.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

Ah I see! Completely missed that, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Absolutely ridiculous for History...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Why do they insist on using ridiculously vague language on the timetable and Leaving most teachers in the country clueless too as to this extra 20 mins lark.

First, I was under the assumption we had 3 hours 10 mins for history:cool:.

Then, no. Then, yes.

This is as much as the SEC provide us with;
    The examination sessions highlighted in red include 20
    minutes over and above the time traditionally allocated for the
    papers concerned.

You'd have to be a constitutional lawyer to know exactly what "includes" means...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

donvito99 wrote: »
    Why do they insist on using ridiculously vague language on the timetable and Leaving most teachers in the country clueless too as to this extra 20 mins lark.

Then, no. Then, yes.

The examination sessions highlighted in red include 20
    papers concerned.

You'd have to be a constitutional lawyer to know exactly what "includes" means...

While I agree it's a bit vague, you're kind of exaggerating. 'Includes' isn't a complicated word.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DavidK1994

donvito99 wrote: »

Then, no. Then, yes.

[COLOR="Red"]The examination sessions highlighted in red include 20
    papers concerned. [/COLOR]

While I agree it's a bit vague, you're kind of exaggerating. 'Includes' isn't a complicated word.
    Thats for people who have difficulty writing or other, my friend has attained it.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

We get around 10 minutes extra to finish after each exam... They dont really care :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

ehshup wrote: »
    no I'm afraid not as far as I know. I'm pretty sure that just means that the supervisors have a bit of leeway in their starting time and ending time, but either way students only have the same amount of time to answer. Well that's as far as I know
    Nope, no leeway above and beyond the official times ... which supervisors *should* be sticking to.
    DavidK1994 wrote: »
    Thats for people who have difficulty writing or other, my friend has attained it.
    No, that's something else entirely, it's called "special accommodation" and such people will *normally* be in special exam centres.

The extra 20 minutes was added to certain papers a few years ago for *everyone*. Tbh, it's about time they took down that note, at this stage it just confuses people as they don't remember the old times or the change.

The official start / finish time given on the timetable includes that 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DavidK1994

ehshup wrote: »
    Nope, no leeway above and beyond the official times ... which supervisors *should* be sticking to.
    No, that's something else entirely, it's called "special accommodation" and such people will *normally* be in special exam centres.

The extra 20 minutes was added to certain papers a few years ago for *everyone*. Tbh, it's about time they took down that note, at this stage it just confuses people as they don't remember the old times or the change.

The official start / finish time given on the timetable includes that 20 minutes.
    nope... hes given an extra 20 minutes in OUR exam centre..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

nope... hes given an extra 20 minutes in OUR exam centre..
    I did say "normally". :)

They may feel that the need is not so great in this case as to justify the (large) expense of an extra centre, and that the extra time is sufficient.

Advertisement