Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Chop Shop Curry Recipe 2

Options
  • 10-06-2012 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Does anyone have a recipe.
    One that has ingredients in it, rather than products, such as 'McDonnells' or combinations of ingredients such as 'curry podwer', (unless of course the ingredients of the curry powder is included)
    For a curry sauce that tastes like the sauce you get in chip shops and pubs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I've worked in a few chippers over the years and we always used McDonnells. I wouldnt even hazard a guess how how to replicate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Have never known a chip shop to use other than McDonnells which can be made up by the bucket...Just add water. I normally soften a few chopped onions in Olive Oil and add it to the McDonnell's, gives it added flavour. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Macgoo

Thanks guys

God knows what those people are putting into it, in MD's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

thee's a thread floating around here about chinese takeaway recipes and there's a recipe in there for making the curry sauce they have from scratch, so you could probably have a read up there? not sure how similar it would be to what you're looking for, but it might be worth a shot, although i seem to remember it didn't sound all that appetising once you knew what was in it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Macgoo wrote: »
    Thanks guys

God knows what those people are putting into it, in MD's.

Wheat Flour
    Sugar
    Vegetable Fat
    Curry Powder (11%)
    Cumin
    Tumeric
    Corriander
    Fenugreek
    Clove
    Garlic
    Chilli
    Black Pepper
    Mustard Seed
    Ginger
    Salt
    Tomatoe Powder
    Flavourings(contains celery)
    Glucose Syrup
    Flavour Enhancers(Monosodium Glutamate,Sodium 5' Ribonucleotides)
    Citric Acid

• Advertisement

Thanks Chucken, gives me something to work with, except the MSG, that stuff is like dynamite for the ole blood pressure.
    Chucken wrote: »
    Wheat Flour
    Sugar
    Vegetable Fat
    Curry Powder (11%)
    Cumin
    Tumeric
    Corriander
    Fenugreek
    Clove
    Garlic
    Chilli
    Black Pepper
    Mustard Seed
    Ginger
    Salt
    Tomatoe Powder
    Flavourings(contains celery)
    Glucose Syrup
    Flavour Enhancers(Monosodium Glutamate,Sodium 5' Ribonucleotides)
    Citric Acid

Thanks Vibe, sounds familar, I might have come across it but sure it's worth another look
    vibe666 wrote: »
    thee's a thread floating around here about chinese takeaway recipes and there's a recipe in there for making the curry sauce they have from scratch, so you could probably have a read up there? not sure how similar it would be to what you're looking for, but it might be worth a shot, although i seem to remember it didn't sound all that appetising once you knew what was in it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 41 emec

Mcdonnells sauce is very hard to copy.
    The base is flour and sugar. The vegetable fat they use is most likely solid processed veg fat and hard to get outside of food industry.
    The curry part of the recipe is very small - only 11%. This would be easy to copy but the rest of the recipe isn't. The flavourings section most likely contains some animal flavours (artificial so suitable for vegetarians) and others that would be hard to get hold of. The MSG and I+G would contribute hugely to the flavour as well.
    The best bet to recreate would be to use some nice stock - chicken or beef, add some flour/cornflour to thicken. Use a strong curry powder mix and some sugar to taste. Might need a bit of lemon juice to sharpen it at the end (they use citric acid)
    Nearly impossible to get a similar taste but worth a try if you want to avoid the sugar/fat/msg overload that the MCDonnells basically is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I used this recipe before, I thought it was very close.

Ingredients

6 tbsp vegetable oil or ghee, (clarified butter)
    3 onions, finely chopped
    4 cm piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
    4 cloves garlic, sliced
    4 mild fleshy red chillies, seeds removed and chopped
    1/2 tsp turmeric
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp ground coriander
    1/2 tbsp chilli powder
    2 1/2 tsp curry powder
    125 ml water
    2 1/2 tsp plain flour
    2 1/2 tsp self-raising flour
    400 - 500 ml vegetable stock

Method

1. For the sauce: Heat the oil or ghee in a heavy-based pan or wok over a high heat. Add the onion and stir-fry for 3 minutes, or until starting to soften but not brown. Add the ginger, garlic and chillies and continue stir-frying for 30 seconds, then reduced the heat to very low and leave to cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened but nothing browns.

2. Stir in the turmeric, cumin, coriander, chilli powder and curry powder and continue cooking very gently for a further 5 minutes. Don’t burn the spices or the sauce will taste acrid; sprinkle on a few drops of water if you’re worried. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the mixture to cool a little.

3. Put the water in a food processor or blender and add the contents of the pan. Blend until everything is very smooth, then add both the flours and blend again. Put the puréed mixture back into the pan and simmer for 20–30 minutes (the longer the better) over a very low heat, stirring occasionally. Add a little hot water if it starts to catch, but the idea is to gently ‘fry’ the sauce so that it darkens in colour to an orangey brown. Once you have a thick paste, gradually stir in the stock and simmer until the curry sauce has reduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Macgoo wrote: »
    except the MSG, that stuff is like dynamite for the ole blood pressure.
    Do you really find it is bad for you personally? ever done blind testing? I think a lot of people just feel placebo effects from it, they go OTT harping on about not using flavour enhancers yet use sodium chloride without a second thought. I expect many anti-MSG people may have been ignorantly using Knorr Aromat for years without realising what it is.

I think there was some study or something done along the lines of giving people Chinese food with no MSG and Italian with MSG added, and the people eating the Chinese got 'MSG symptoms' and got none from the Italian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Restaurant_Syndrome#Safety_as_a_flavor_enhancer
    While many people believe that monosodium glutamate (MSG) is the cause of these symptoms, an association has never been demonstrated under rigorously controlled conditions, even in studies with people who were convinced that they were sensitive to the compound.[11][12][13][14] Adequately controlling for experimental bias includes a placebo-controlled double-blinded experimental design and the application in capsules because of the strong and unique after-taste of glutamates.

Musgraves have a chipper section, I have seen McDonnells in it before, Erin curry sauce is in it now
    http://www.musgravecashandcarry.ie/files/r6-2012/fastfood.pdf

Goldfish Chinese curry sauce is my favourite. Some discussion here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055896676

Advertisement