Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyway for International students to get cheaper education in aus

Options
  • 10-06-2012 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Was looking at the cost of education for international students in australia, its costs a bomb basically, is there any way around this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Not unless you come in a boat. And even then it is expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Permanent Residency!!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

No, you have to be a citizen or be on a humanitarian visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

You can get a scholarship for post grad courses which pays all your fees and a living allowance, you have to have skills to justify it though as copetition is fierce.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

ellaq wrote: »
    No, you have to be a citizen or be on a humanitarian visa.

If you're a permanent resident you qualify for the same fees as citizens. What you don't qualify for is any grants/loans that might apply and you have to pay the fees upfront as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Traq wrote: »
    If you're a permanent resident you qualify for the same fees as citizens. What you don't qualify for is any grants/loans that might apply and you have to pay the fees upfront as far as I know.

That is correct, they scrapped HECS HELP for permanent residents in 2005 I think..
    Fees the same as citizens are still a fair chunk and if you're a permanent resident you have to pay them upfront, not sure if its by semester or year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

That is correct, they scrapped HECS HELP for permanent residents in 2005 I think..
    Fees the same as citizens are still a fair chunk and if you're a permanent resident you have to pay them upfront, not sure if its by semester or year.

They are still nothing like the fees for international students!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

No6 wrote: »
    They are still nothing like the fees for international students!!!

Can you give us an idea of what kind of fees are for permanent residents/citizens?
    I am looking to study again and don't want to wait until citizenship..

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Can you give us an idea of what kind of fees are for permanent residents/citizens?
    I am looking to study again and don't want to wait until citizenship..

Fees for permanent residents are upfront, as they don't qualify for HECS help.
    I will be paying $22,000 for my 4 year course. I have to pay $5500 per year or $2750 per semester. I am not sure if that is the same for most people but it is for the ones I have spoken to. I know it would be a lot more if I was not a permanent resident.
    On the plus side, when I am finished, I won't have to pay the government back for years as HECS students have to.

Advertisement