Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do get with the Program or Programme?

• 10-06-2012 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Color or colourful? Hear any rumors or are you a rumourmonger?

Do You Spell Like an American? 2 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

American or Proper English?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭UserName 217

Only in Microsoft Word because its set to American (keep meaning to change it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

The programme include me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

I thought one spelling was the noun and the other was the verb. I've always been confused about this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

whirlpool wrote: »
    I thought one spelling was the noun and the other was the verb. I've always been confused about this one.

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/get-with-the-programme/

both are valid english words

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

mike65 wrote: »
    Color or colourful? Hear any rumors or are you a rumourmonger?

I thought it was colour and color...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Get with the prog rock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Do You Spell Like an American?
    No.
    I'm not in America nor American.
    I have no reason to willingly adopt their ways nor want to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Biggins wrote: »
    No.
    I'm not in America nor American.
    I have no reason to willingly adopt their ways nor want to.

That's not what you said when you were after your Green Card.

Crockett and Tubbs would be so disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Feck the yanks and their awful tacky mass manufactured culture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,108 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Awesome

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,108 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Awesome

Bloody hate this word as an example of cultural imperialism.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

when programming you have to use US spellings :(

And it's all the fault of Noah Webster , Dr Johnson wouldn't give a sausage for his work.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah_Webster
    Slowly, edition by edition, Webster changed the spelling of words, making them "Americanized." He chose s over c in words like defense, he changed the re to er in words like center, and he dropped one of the Ls in traveler. At first he kept the u in words like colour or favour but dropped it in later editions. He also changed "tongue" to "tung"—an innovation that never caught on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Yet seem to have no issue with the very English "Bloody".:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

i'd prefer to get with the "pogrom" 卐 lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Tap or faucet?
    Nappy or diaper?
    Sh*t or sh*te?
    They're just words...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Wow, judging by the poll I think this may be one of the few things boardsies actually agree on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Only in Microsoft Word because its set to American (keep meaning to change it).

Yeah good luck with that - even when you change it to Hibernian English or British English it still insists on doing things like putting in z's instead of s's in the -ise words and so on

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

why? it's perfectly acceptable word, a bit overused but very rarely incorrectly. I can't think of anybody who uses it as an example of cultural imperialism, rather as a way to express awe in something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Voted yes.

Well now this is awkward.

• Advertisement
Advertisement