Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the criteria for permanent citizenship/residency in australia

Options
  • 10-06-2012 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

What is the criteria for permanent citizenship/residency in australia?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

The terms are Citizenship and Perminent Residency (PR),

I know nothing about CItizenship but for PR

Come the 1st July 2012 in order to get ENS PR you'd have to meet one of three (3) pathways:
    1. Be on a 457 and have been sponsored / employed by the ENS Sponsor for at least (2) years
    2. Be on a 457 (or other visa) for less than two (2) years but have a positive Skills Assessment and relevant work experience
    3. Be in a role that warrants a salary of at least $250,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

That criteria basically rules out 95% of anyone applying for longterm visas who hasnt worked in australia yet

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Makes it tough alright unless your worth 250000!

I see the 457 as serving your time then you can go for PR, which is fair enough why allow anyone to get residency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Well ive been thinking of it for a while, im single, I have no kids and have no mortage and im sick of Ireland even though I have a permanent job. I have a ordinary degree in analytical chemistry and have been working in a QC Lab for the past 4 years, Ive been doing some job searches on seek.com.au and whilst the salary for lab jobs isnt great compared to other professions , there are lots of jobs there and there are certain areas like Extractive Metallurgy which are highly sought after and is also very well paid, so im thinking of doing a post grad in that, maybe im living a pipe dream

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

This is what immi.gov site throws up:
    Visas and permanent residency:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/overseas-skilled-options.pdf

Citizenship requires you to be resident for a minimum period:
    https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/citz/startIntervalCalc.do
    4 yrs lawful residence but you can be absent for under 12 mth of these. You have to tally all absences. I remember I was close to having 12 month overseas when I applied and back in '09 it was 2 or 3 years residence. That changed to 4 years in June 2010 just after I got the blue book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 dietdiva

This is great. Somehow i thought you had to wait 5years to apply for residency. 2years on a 457visa would fly. If your employer nominates you for residency, you wouldn't have to stay with them once your residency came through would you.
    If your partner was on your sponsorshio visa how would the application for residency go, would they automatically get that aswell.
    And after 2years of residency you can apply for citizenshio right?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod There is a skills visa mega thread : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056505082 and it's sticky.
    Please read that.
    Karl is right, but that is only ENS (employer nominated) you can apply for independent skills migrant too.
    Citizenship the minimum is 4 years and at least 1 full year as a PR.

Advertisement