Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deceitful Landlord

Options
  • 10-06-2012 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

My girlfriend and I recently moved in to a new house (March). We moved in based on what the landlord was offering. However its became apparent that he was purposely deceptive in order to make his property more attractive.

There are a number of problems:

1: Chances are we are eligible for rent allowance and the house was advertised as accepting it. Upon moving in I handed him the forms which he told me he would check with his accountant and get back to me (he appeared quite nervous in being asked). After many texts and calls its still no further so it seems he has no interest in signing it. My old landlords have signed the form there and then.

2: The house has a back garden which leads onto a private road and there is a door separating the two. I asked him for a key which he said he didn't have so I didn't think too much of it. Now its obviously he uses the garden as a storage area, dropping by whenever. He had been doing this for weeks as I'd noticed the different equipment dropped in. One day he came in as we were there, quite sheepishly I might add, and the next time I spoke to him he made an effect to tell me what the story was. Must thing we are stupid but its pretty obvious what the craic is.

3: The biggest issue is the rubbish situation. Once again it was advertised as refuse included. He told me that sometimes he would take the rubbish away so make sure its in bags etc etc. I thought it was a bit odd but since he seemed sound thought nothing of it. He has paid no refuse and the bags sit outside the front door for weeks at a time. There is a number of houses so the rubbish really builds up and fecking stinks. I rang the EPA who wouldnt take a complaint without personal details. I'm amazed that noone has said anything, especially the neighbours as they're always out cleaning they steps and generally taking pride.

I dont know what to do as I don't want to cause trouble for us but its a bit of a joke. Oh, and the roof he started leaking lol The rent is high enough so I dont see the problem in paying for refuse, surely it isnt that much and even of it is does he not have responsibilities once advertised?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭someuser905

i hate chancers like that
    start causing some trouble - hound him to fix everything, tell him to stay away uninvited, be short on the rent because of his delays with the rent allowance, sort out your own bins and ask for a rent reduction

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Life is too short. Move out. It's a renter's market, cowboys like that will continue to be cowboys as long as tenants tolerate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Life is too short. Move out. It's a renter's market, cowboys like that will continue to be cowboys as long as tenants tolerate it.

+ 1

You are not going to change this landlord.
    He is a bad business man and as a paying customer you should walk away. Now.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Spud5467

Thanks for the advise.

Do you think I should walk and cut my losses? I can't imagine he'll just hand the deposit over and I dont really want to loose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Its all very well saying walk away but what about the deposit, do any of you think that the LL will be forthcoming in giving that back???? I think not

OP ring threshold and let them know where you are on this one, write a letter to your LL stating what needs to be fixed and if you have is home address the send it registered post to him

Go back to your CWO and get more forms for RA also let them know the situation and see if there is anyway you can just fill in the details you know about the LL but clearly you will not know his PPS, the CWO may accept the form with out this just speak to them about it and go over the LL's head

I presume you will be struggling to pay the rent with no rent allowance, do you still have a copy of the advert that you replied to which states the it is acceptable, if you do have it copy it and put it in the registered letter, also bring a copy to CWO.

I presume you have a lease with this chancer

http://www.threshold.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭someuser905

dont pay the last months rent

Advertisement