Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for an engineer for a structural survey

Options
  • 10-06-2012 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Just looking for the above to complete a survey on a property in a subsidence area (Blackrock).There are some cracks on the outside of the house but unsure if they are related to subsidence or just related to building works that are connected with construction next door.

A competent engineer who won’t break the bank :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

In addition to the survey, it might be worth asking a few of your potential neighbours what the situation is with buildings insurance. My mother lives in the area and while her own house is fine, many others nearby have suffered subsidence. As a result, buildings insurance is extremely high in the area and many people find themselves unable to shop around for cheaper quotes as alternative providers will not quote them. As its a requirement of most mortgage providers, its worth checking out as it could add €1000 or more a year to your household budget.

Sorry for such a gloomy post, but its something that nearly prevented the sale of the house across the road from my mother's going through last year, so I thought any potential buyer in the area should be aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

My mother's house is also in the area, and just had a fortune's worth of subsidence work carried out on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

There are pockets of subsidence around the area, so you need a good engineer here. My families house is fine, and has had no subsidence ever in a house nearly 200 years old, but the new houses 500 metres away were affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

In addition to the survey, it might be worth asking a few of your potential neighbours what the situation is with buildings insurance. My mother lives in the area and while her own house is fine, many others nearby have suffered subsidence. As a result, buildings insurance is extremely high in the area and many people find themselves unable to shop around for cheaper quotes as alternative providers will not quote them. As its a requirement of most mortgage providers, its worth checking out as it could add €1000 or more a year to your household budget.

Sorry for such a gloomy post, but its something that nearly prevented the sale of the house across the road from my mother's going through last year, so I thought any potential buyer in the area should be aware of it.

Eeeks you are right :eek: I just rang my Insurer (Allianz)and they won't provide a quote ,even if I provide them with an engineers report that everything is ok :(

Is there anyone that insures a house in the blackrock area that could advise which company ye are with?

I'm assuming the quote will be off the wall for any Insurer covering Blackrock.

• Advertisement
Advertisement