Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calamari fritti

Options
  • 10-06-2012 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

I've been to Sardinia recently and developed a love of Calamari Fritti . Is it easy to get fresh calamari in a fishmongers in ireland ? I love the stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Yep. Loads of squid everywhere. I read somewhere that you are better off buying frozen as when it is defrosted the proteins are relaxed and makes the squid less prone to being hard if cooked incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I love the baby squid - texture is nicer. Buy it frozen but really nice

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Swampy wrote: »
    Yep. Loads of squid everywhere. I read somewhere that you are better off buying frozen as when it is defrosted the proteins are relaxed and makes the squid less prone to being hard if cooked incorrectly.

Where do you buy it frozen? I don't want processed squid rings , i want to prepare the squid myself.

foodaholic wrote: »
    I love the baby squid - texture is nicer. Buy it frozen but really nice

What size is a baby squid , the squid i want have a body about 2 inches in diameter, would they be babies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

That's the size you see in the fishmonger most of the time - it's a little messy to clean and prep but once you get the hang of it no big deal to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

[/QUOTE]

What size is a baby squid , the squid i want have a body about 2 inches in diameter, would they be babies?[/Quote]

That's the ones I always get. I find it's not as tough as the larger squid.

You have to prep them when they are defrosted - removing the quill and ink sac but it takes no time at all.

I coat them in Potato flour - makes it really crispy when you fry it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

If you buy it fresh, make sure you soak it in Milk, overnight in the fridge.
    That will take away any rubbery texture you often get in restaurants here.

Thanks for all the replies , excellent information.

Advertisement