Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OL Project maths constructions/theorems

• 10-06-2012 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

I was wondering, do I need to know the constructions AND theorems or one or the other?

I find the 6 constructions are piss easy, but I haven't really looked at the theorems, so I'm pretty worried about them.

Also, are constructions set to come up every year? If so, what question are they normally? Some papers have it as questions 5, other don't have it at all. It's such a messy paper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DavidK1994

Nitsuj wrote: »
    I was wondering, do I need to know the constructions AND theorems or one or the other?

I find the 6 constructions are piss easy, but I haven't really looked at the theorems, so I'm pretty worried about them.

Also, are constructions set to come up every year? If so, what question are they normally? Some papers have it as questions 5, other don't have it at all. It's such a messy paper.
    Hi, where are you getting these constructions/theorems from projectmaths.ie? or a book? ... in regard to your question however they can ask theorems, but its unlikely for this year.. imo

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

DavidK1994 wrote: »
    Hi, where are you getting these constructions/theorems from projectmaths.ie? or a book? ... in regard to your question however they can ask theorems, but its unlikely for this year.. imo
    There's six constructions this year (I hear it's going to be 26 next year!). They're piss easy, I found them in a book my grinds teacher has. You should be able to do the following (if you do tech graphics, you should be able to do them):

60degree angle, inscribe a circle into triangle, find centroid (triangle), construct parallelogram (they give the angle and measurements), tangent to a circle and circumcircle (circle around a triangle).

As I said, they're very simple. Took me about 5 minutes to learn, and they take like a minute to actually draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

We only covered incircle, circumcircle and enlargements .. do we definatley need to do the others?
    I cant do theorems either, I was hoping of just doing constructions.
    I'd know the definitions too, I think they can come up instead of consturctions.

biohaiid wrote: »
    We only covered incircle, circumcircle and enlargements .. do we definatley need to do the others?
    I cant do theorems either, I was hoping of just doing constructions.
    I'd know the definitions too, I think they can come up instead of consturctions.
    I think it's likely that they'll only ask the incircle or circumcircle, because it's the first year, and they should make it easier (because they're already being assholes forcing it upon us, they should force it upon current 3rd years who would actually have time to do the course properly). But still, I'd know the rest.

How many definitions are there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I think it's likely that they'll only ask the incircle or circumcircle, because it's the first year, and they should make it easier (because they're already being assholes forcing it upon us, they should force it upon current 3rd years who would actually have time to do the course properly). But still, I'd know the rest.

How many definitions are there?

Better look over the others so, seem simple enough.

Ive only come across Theorem, Converse, Axiom and cororally (or something like that).
    And you need to know examples of each.
    Thats just from the papers though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Ammmmm I have 21 constructions and our teacher said they're all on the course? :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Nope it's 6 this year. C'mon tangent to a circle

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Can you tell me the 6 please? :)

ConTheCat wrote: »
    Can you tell me the 6 please? :)
    As I said earlier in the thread...

60degree angle, inscribe a circle into triangle, find centroid (triangle), construct parallelogram (they give the angle and measurements), tangent to a circle and circumcircle (circle around a triangle).

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

As I said earlier in the thread...

Wait, are those the only ones we need to know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

my teacher gave me the 21 aswell , was seriously confused , so happy today when i found out it was just 6, i'm thinking they will ask one of the two circle ones anyway :)

I love how clear everyone is about project maths like what a mess of a system

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Vetton

My class was given 21 constructions to learn too? They're all simple though, but you should still give them a lot over whether you think they aren't on or not.

But they're not, so there's no point giving them a look over.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Vetton

Namlub wrote: »
    But they're not, so there's no point giving them a look over.
    I was told that they were, though. Why is there a half-half thing going on here with these 6 or 21 constructions? Shouldn't the teachers be clear about what we should know?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pepperr

I've only heard about the following:

Construct 60 degree angle, split a line into n equal segments, circumcircle, incircle, orthocentre and centroid.

Can someone briefly explain how I would go about the parallelogram?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

The circular saying there was only 6 on came out very late. Technically the syllabus had them all originally. Hence why theyre all in the books. I only found out (teacher) at an inservice day in march! It's possible some teachers never got the notifications.

You need those 6 constructions and there is no guarantee any of them will come up.

You need to be able to draw enlargements, find centres of enlargements etc

You need to be able to define (in your own words) the geometry terms in your course. This could be anything from theorem to converse to a tangent. Axioms also spring to mind. If you aren't using an official definition from your book be sure to be rigorous for example it is not enough to say 'a tangent is a line that touches a circle' you need to say 'once only' otherwise it could touch two r more times, and you also need to say that ' the radius to the point where it touches is a right angle'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Pepperr wrote: »
    I've only heard about the following:

Construct 60 degree angle, split a line into n equal segments, circumcircle, incircle, orthocentre and centroid.

Can someone briefly explain how I would go about the parallelogram?

Google will find you any number of videos. Heres the first link http://www.onlinemathlearning.com/construct-parallelogram.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

yes such a mess ! oh i see i'm sure its just the 6 then thanks for clearing it up :)

Advertisement